Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
zzrv

Default Newbie-and Gulf Stream support (or lack thereof)

Hello...I'm new to the forum and have read many interesting topics. I bought a used
2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33' F53 chassis about 2 months ago. I really like the
floor plan and features, and the quality seems generally very good.

I discovered some of the manuals were missing from the nice Gulf Stream pouch and called
to see if I could get them. I spoke to Pauline and had the manuals in less than a week.
VERY GOOD! I thought.

I also wanted a spare 'tube' key for the hood and Pauline transferred me to the parts
department where I left a message on Mona's answering machine, including the vin #.
A week later, and I had not received a reply, so I called again. Pauline put me in
direct touch with Mona in parts and she said she would look into it and get back to me.
Six weeks later, and I have not had, nor am I expecting, a call back.

I also discovered an open vent pipe under the vanity, from which was emitting a foul odor,
discovered on our first outing.
Not being familiar with newer MH technology, (my previous MH was a 1985 Winnebago Chieftain) I placed a call to the service department. I spoke to and subsequently emailed Molly in the
service department and she said she would look into it. I also sent pictures to verify my
claim of an open sewer pipe. Unless I send an email requesting an update, I don't hear
from her. In fact, it's been almost two weeks since my last request for an update.
After investigating the problem myself, I figured out the plumbing scheme (sure would have been nice to have a schematic) and realized there was an 'inline vent' missing, which I subsequently purchased from Home Depot for about six bucks. However, I will let this situation play out to see how Molly and Gulf Stream handle this.

(By the way, I had called Winnebago for diagrams of my 1985 oldie, and within a week had full wiring, plumbing and parts diagrams.)

I still am very happy with the coach, but can't say much good about Gulf Stream support so far.

Ron
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
SueMac

Unfortunately this is typical. It took letters, emails, and calls until I got the right person, then things started happening.

I sure hope they get the message that things need improving.

Welcome to the GS group. I'm relitivly new here, but not to motorhoming.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
earljan34

Ron, Welcome to the forum I think we have all been there with GS support it takes a wile to get a response until you reach the right person like suemac said. Me I have been there and done that and also became very disappointed with GS but I just started fixing things myself and as of now all is well. Again welcome and enjoy your MH.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
zzrv

Thanks for the welcome. I am a DIYer and fix or modify to my liking just about everything. Having a little support certainly makes things a bit easier, but I usually can figure things out for myself. I will simply let this situation play out and will keep this forum informed when or IF I ever get a reply from GS. I don't feel I should have to go out of my way or know someone 'special' in GS to get what I would consider GoodService.

I look forward to learning from this forum and hope to contribute as well.

Ron
Old 08-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Beaufort NC

Being in a business which relies on top rate customer support to build and retain customers (proprietary software for a limited market), it would seem to me that if GS would hire one good bulldog type person to grab these things and make them go through their system, they would build an enormous amount of good will. They would make friends all over the place, sell a lot more parts then they are now, build repeat customers and word-of-mouth, and generally improve their image in the marketplace twenty-fold, all for about $50-$60,000 a year. Far better than any advertising they could do. I frankly don't know why they can't (or won't) see that. Their customer service is second-rate, and it's too bad, because it's a pretty good coach.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
SueMac

Unfortunately it isn't just GS. We saw the same thing with Alfa too. What is so hard about doing it right the first time and having good customer service too?
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
family

Default Help!!

We just bought a used 2003 Gulfstream Sun Voyager 8378 but cannot figure out how to operate certain things and the "directions" are certainly no help.

Can someone please tell us how to operate:

(1) generator
(2) water
(3) how to winterize/dewinterize
(4) how to turn on the tv's...we can't get power to them
(5) and anything else we need to know.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!
family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

Family, go to an RV park set up and talk to you neighbors. You will soon find someone to help you and give you more information than you can take.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
RJ82much

Family, I was going to take a stab at some items on your list, but then forgot - Sorry

Tree counter provides a very good solution!

Let me tackle the 1st though, just to hear myself talk.

Generator: To start the generator, you have to hold the 2-position momentary switch to the (up) off position until the green light glows. That primes the carburetor. Release, and immediately hold the switch (down) in the "on" position until you hear the generator start. The flickering light will brighten slightly. Release the switch. AC power is not available for approximately 1 minute.

Stop the generator by pressing the (up) off position for just an instant and releasing.

If you are on shore power and keep tripping the outside shore breaker say when you are cooking with the microwave, watching TV, brewing coffee, and using the AC... start your generator. You don't have to do anything else. A "transfer switch" buried deep in the bowels of your mh will automatically switch over to generator output. When you are done with all those appliances, shut down the generator and that hidden switch will automatically go back to shore power. This is especially helpful if your campsite only provides a 30 amp service.

Is this the sort of info you were looking for?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
RJ82much

WOW, I'm liking hearing myself talk. Let's discuss "water" next.

Water: Water is obtained from either of 2 sources. You can add up to 50 gallons of water to a freshwater storage tank or by hooking to a campsite outlet during your stay.

Connect your fresh water (garden) hose to the connection in your water & sewer drain compartment. The fitting goes to the valve marked "local" or "fill tank"

"Local" is for direct & continuous use from that external hose. Your MH pump should be turned off. Your hot water heater will be functional also.

To fill your portable tank, turn the valve at the hose to "fill tank". A word of caution - Do NOT overfill your freshwater tank. It could burst!!!! A reminder that water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Do you want to haul 415 pounds of water around where ever you travel vs get it at your destination? Turning the valve back to "local" when filling is complete is a good idea. Prevents accidental overfilling & prevents water loss if check valve leaks.

A word about pure water. You should have a charcoal filter canister under your kitchen sink. It's purpose is to remove chunks, chemicals, and teenie-tiny bugs that could make you sick. Best not to get them in your water in the first place. Keep specific hoses for filling & water supply. The white ones at camper supply houses are supposed to be rated for drinkable water. Store your hoses with the ends screwed together (real bugs & dirt can't crawl in) and never never use this/these hoses for any other task.

I add household bleach to my freshwater tank to prevent bacteria growth. The ratio is given in the literature that comes with your replaceable filter. I think I calculated the amount to be 25ml (cc) per 50 gallons. The charcoal filter is supposed to remove any smell.

That said, I must admit to never have drank water from my tank. I personally carry 2 blue, 7 gallon containers from home, treated with 2.5 ml (cc) of bleach. This is used for coffee, cooking, & teeth brushing. I use bottled water for drinking. (I know, I'm a pansy)

Water heater care & precautions will be covered at winterizing/dewinterizing.

Again, any comments are certainly welcome - I'm not an expert.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Timothy

[quote=
Again, any comments are certainly welcome - I'm not an expert.[/quote]

RJ82much
Camp Expert

LOL but Bob, it says "Camp Expert"!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
RJ82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
RJ82much
Camp Expert

LOL but Bob, it says "Camp Expert"!!!
Well Tim, I'm thinking it's an ego thing. Some may believe that I paid GSAdmin for the title. But truthfully [ ) ] all I needed to do was talk several hundred times to have the title bestowed on me.

That,,, and it's my drawing... Ha Ha Ha..

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
RJ82much

Family, I'm a little short on time, so let me tackle an easy one.

(4) how to turn on the tv's...we can't get power to them

Power to your TVs are controlled by a relay that requires the engine ignition switch to be turned to "off". Your front TV plugs right into this control box in an overhead cabinet. I'm not sure about the rear TV.

Here is a little-known fact: If you have your overhead flourescent light closest to the TV, turned on, the remote will NOT work. You will NOT be able to turn the TV on. If already on, you will NOT be able to change channels. Turn off the light and all will be fine.

I'm going to bet on the flourescent light in your case. That one got me for weeks.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #14
family

Thanks for all the info. It is very much appreciated. Please keep it coming.

Family
family is offline   Reply With Quote