Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Dbhagner

Default New M6400 Owner needs updated info on installing a Superide

Hello All,

I'm Dave a soon to be retired Marine. My wife and I recently bought our coach from other members of the board and couldn't be happier. We are, with a 9month old daughter and plenty of miles ahead of us, looking to install the ACS Superide 800 that a few on the forum have installed before.

I live in Baltimore Md and have noticed that at least one installation was done locally while many done at Southwest.

Does any one have current guidance or advice on this install or any more recent products that perform better than the ACS SR 800?

Also, I'm looking for air seat bases for the factory seats. Any advice?

Any/all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks much,
Dave
Dbhagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
rld63

Default Re: New M6400 Owner needs updated info on installing a Super

Dave,
Welcome to the forum. I just had my 6400 suspension upgraded with the acs 800. I called and found a spring and suspension company that would take on the project. They did alot of work on semis so I felt ok with them doing the job.
The ride really smoothed out and the family was happy. It does sway more in winds but that is to be expected. The guys from ACS were very helpful in the purchase. The might be able to even recommend a shop.

Roy.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Dbhagner

Thanks Roy,

I knew it was a heavily covered subject in the years past but I couldn't find anything recent. Dave Sweet at ACS was great to work with. My wife is an Aerospace Engineer and Test Pilot and took some time looking it over and agrees that it seems built well-we too like the use of springs if I do blow a bag.

I called Phil at Peters Springs in Baltimore, which is an institution in their field. Phil doesn't do this type of work but I knew he'd have the resources. He gave me six numbers. One of which was your typical "I would scrap that piece of sh*t VT365"; a good indicator our conversation would be short...

Speaking of short, long story short, I got in touch with a gentlemen named Mike at McCarthy's Tire in the Dundalk area. He's the service manager. He took a break when I called, found a computer, pulled up the ACS site, pulled up the old thread on this forum, looked at all the pics, called Southwest while I was on the phone and lined up some over-the-phone help should he need it, and asked me to bring in my coach Monday so he could start game planning.

What a relief. M & M in Baltimore was mentioned on this site for installation. Just FYI they no longer work on any RVs. I asked the GM why and he told me every time he dealt with an RV owner in this area they bitched and moaned and complained and threatened to sue over the smallest issues that should be expected when working on low density items like our units. I'm not taking sides but he's got a great professional reputation; I'm just glad a local business is doing well enough to turn away business.

I'll continue to post on this topic just for postings sake.

Break.

I'm picking up a Cargo Craft enclosed trailer soon in Oscilla, Ga, 8.5' X 32'. I went with two drop 7500lb axles vice three 5k. I highly customized this unit including raising the roof 18", a concession window, a 16' awning, an a/c, a sealed 48" x48" box with door for a diesel generator, electric package, water package, just about anything a Force Recon Marine would want on a trailer that he's going to use for a year long trip across the country... Jep at Grizzly Trailers was the man.

Here in Md I priced this trailer out at a little over 19k plus tax. Jep got the identical deal for $11k.

Point is, if you're looking for the best in trailers, there's really two brands on the E Coast worth considering. Go as close to factory direct and make a drive to pick it up and save almost 45%.

That's enough for a Saturday morning eye opener, I hear some grass calling my name...

Best,
Dave
Dbhagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
MikeR20086372

Hello Dave. I just purchased the ACS system for my 6372 , can you send me some pictures of the completed project? I'm hoping they can aid me with the install. Mike 909-289-6722. I'm hoping you can get me a few pics by text possibally? I'm concerned with the welding on top of the springs. Thanks.
MikeR20086372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
MikeR20086372

Hello Dave. I just purchased the ACS system for my 6372 , can you send me some pictures of the completed project? I'm hoping they can aid me with the install. Mike 909-289-6722. I'm hoping you can get me a few pics by text possibally? I'm concerned with the welding on top of the springs. Thanks.
MikeR20086372 is offline   Reply With Quote