Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to kenjohnston83@gmail.com
Default 2000 Tourmaster tank heat or no???

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if my 2000 Tourmaster is equipped to withstand overnight temperatures that drop below freezing. I'm going to be travelling through the Canadian Rockies and western prairies into October when overnight temps start to approach and drop below freezing. Is any of the plumbing heated or protected from cold with or without the furnace operating?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Chuck v

My 2007 Tour Master had a 'heated basement' so a portion of the heat from the furnace was routed to the basement to help keep things there from freezing. Your 2000 year model may be different.

I did use small ceramic electric heaters in the basement set to low heat settings during the winter to ensure enough heat when living aboard and hooked up to shore power, and set them to maintain about 50 degrees or a little less. Also, I had small heating rod (goldenrod, like what is used in a gun safe...) in the compartment that had the water valve manifold since it was pretty well separated from the basement itself. In addition to these measures, I turned off the ice maker line to my residential refrigerator since it was run near the outer wall and not in an explicitly heated space.

I had an electrically heated water supply hose for bringing the RV park hook-up water to the coach, and I only drained the gray and black water as needed and did not leave the gray valve open as I would in the summer...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
[email protected]

Hey Chuck. That's great and very insightful feedback. Thanx for taking the time to respond. .. Ken
Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
RayHarkness

We did get creative. The furnaces in our Scenic Cruiser (2002) The old beast...the furnaces working in the basement areas will add heat uner there. BUT, in areas of plumbing both sides, we simply put a 75 w bulb, with ones oe those clamp on light deals......just need to temper it. I think it would have to get reallllllllllly cold to get thru there. We used to overkill it. We have a vent for our washer'dryer combo. I put a sponge in that exhaust vent, to keep cold air coming in.
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
wfeffer

My 96 tour master says it has a headed basement but we haven’t tested it. It’s never been below freezing for more than a few hours anywhere we have been so inside has never dropped below 50s with just electric heaters on inside.
wfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
[email protected]

That's great insight, Ray. Thanxalot! Could I please trouble you to expand upon which areas specifically you put the light bulbs. That's a good idea. Sounds as if maybe you mean the bathroom, shower, kitchen sink - maybe 3 places? How low of a temperature are you comfortable being in with that arrangement. If it went to 25° F, would you be OK with that? Do you think you'd need to have the furnace running pretty much non stop to protect the plumbing in that temperature? Also, do you have a manifold the likes of which Chuck alluded to in an earlier post? I do. If so, what do you do with that?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
[email protected]

That's interesting. I've been through the generic 2000 Gulfstream owners' manual looking for anything to do with heated tanks or basement, but as yet, I haven't found anything. Where did you find that info, please?
Old 08-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
bbybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Also, I had small heating rod (goldenrod, like what is used in a gun safe...) in the compartment that had the water valve manifold since it was pretty well separated from the basement itself.
Chuck
I love these heaters .... I also use one in my water bay and it works well even in the -05 degree in the grand canyon over Christmas's ....
Old 08-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
ronaldmartel

I have a 2000 TM with the Aquahot. If you have the Aquahot you’ll be fine.
ronaldmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #10
[email protected]

I don't know about that. What is it, please, and how would I know if i had it? Thanx
Old 08-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
dougdhc

My 1999 tour master has heated compartments but they are heated by the furnace that heats the interior of the bus so as long as you’re using the furnace to heat the interior they are heating the the compartments
dougdhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
[email protected]

Thanx Doug. This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you know they're heated?
Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
wfeffer

We have the mountain master model and it's in the manual that the basement is heated.
wfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote