Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
bkgadget

Default Towing a Visa 19 RGU

Hi asll,

My wife and ZI are planningh on buying a Vias 19 RGU in the early spring of 2012. We wouild have bought it already but my wife was scheduled for a total hip replacement so we put our plans off a bit. ( she had the surgery a couple of weeks ago and it doing great )

One of our reasons for choosing the Visa is it's light weight. I want to get rid of my gas guzzling HEMI V-8 and get something smaller. One of the vehicles I am considering is a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has the new 3.6 V=6, 283 hp and a six speed transmission. They claim a tow rating of 3,800 lbs. Any one care to post their thoughts on this. Good idea ? Bad idea? One of my reasons for the Dodge is we live in Windsor, Ontario Canada and all the Chrysler minivans are built here. I like to support the local economy when I can.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Inspector Gadget
bkgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
toaobigal

Default Re: Towing a Visa 19 RGU

When I bought my 2012 Visa ERD I had a Acura MDX (2001) with a towing capacity of 3500 pounds. The trailer, ready to go, is pretty much at that maybe a little more. On the road, I could pull it but I could tell the truck was struggling so I got myself another MDX, a 2007 with a towing capacity of 5000 pounds and 300 hp. My point is that with a towing capacity of 3800, you are at the limit of beeing overload. Don't be fooled by the low weight: my ERD numbers said it was 2700 pounds, but when I took delivery the sticker said 3010 pounds. The weight on the brochure is for the unit dry and without options: no water in the tanks, no propane no A/C and of course your ''stuff''. Keep in mind that the towing capacity also include the passengers and the cargo of the vehicule, so, if you take the 2800 pounds of the dry weight, add the maximum carrying capacity of 1008 pounds (took those figures in the brochure) and add the passengers and cargo you'll see that you'll probably be over the towing capacity. You should get something that can tow
around 5000 pounds.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
paulchampagne7

My 2012 23 rbk is listed at 3 502 pounds, sticker inside says 3 827 pounds, wich adds air conditionning, awning, empty propane tanks, microwave and some. I added a slide out awning, tv, and minimal camping stuff and with propane in the 2 tanks, no water in holding tanks it weighted 4 313 pounds at a local scale. Now we have to add for each weekend personnal clothes and food, wich amouts plus minus 150 pounds. Total 4 450 pounds.

So overall, it is very close to 4 500 lbs, a thousand pounds over advertised weight. And we were very conservative in what we put in. With the 80% rule, we thus need a minnimum 5 600 pounds tow vehicule. We bought a 2011 Pathfinder with a 6 000 pounds tow capacity.

I did meet a fellow camper in Virginia that towed a new 19 feet Fun Finder with a 2011 Grand Caravan with the big motor. Told me it towed fine, but he was averaging 9-10 mpg us, not so good in that respect... Don't know if he vas pushing too much in the Pensylvania Hills or going too fast... He was very happy with his combo, exept gas.....

Hope you will have a wonderfull 2012 camping season.

Paul
Ayer's Cliff, Québec
paulchampagne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Hippy

Dont have personal experience with caravan, but check out article in 2011 R V Lifestyle Campground Directory issue vol 40 no 4. Its a Canadian publication. this issue has article about towing with caravan. they tow a 30' Airstream, and a 28' Surveyor.
Good luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
charby

As per quote below:

I recently purchased a 2011 Visa 19 RGU from your area as it was worth the trip in price ($3500) less than from Eastern Ontario.
I towed it with our 2009 Santa Fe which has 3.3 242hp V6 at 100 kph without any problem. In fact I towed our previous trailer which had a weight of 2975lbs 3800 km down east. It liked to rev up a bit going up those hills but I took it easy and not a problem. I think the van will be OK it has more power than mine does. These trailers are designed for mini vans and SUV's like mine. I would strongly suggest checking out Leisure Trailers in Tecumseh for your Visa. There are a great bunch, and include many camping vouchers that you can use in that area. Let me know if you are going to check them out and I can get give you my name for a referral gift . Any questions on the trailer, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgadget
Hi asll,

My wife and ZI are planningh on buying a Vias 19 RGU in the early spring of 2012. We wouild have bought it already but my wife was scheduled for a total hip replacement so we put our plans off a bit. ( she had the surgery a couple of weeks ago and it doing great )

One of our reasons for choosing the Visa is it's light weight. I want to get rid of my gas guzzling HEMI V-8 and get something smaller. One of the vehicles I am considering is a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. It has the new 3.6 V=6, 283 hp and a six speed transmission. They claim a tow rating of 3,800 lbs. Any one care to post their thoughts on this. Good idea ? Bad idea? One of my reasons for the Dodge is we live in Windsor, Ontario Canada and all the Chrysler minivans are built here. I like to support the local economy when I can.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Inspector Gadget
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
KristinU

Remember to factor in your gear and family members when figuring out your tow setup. Often the max tow capacity only allows for the weight of the driver. Also figure in the weight of water in the tanks in case you ever need or want to tow with water (fresh, gray, or black)

Kudos to you, Charby, but we have a 2005 Santa Fe (V6) that we towed our pervious camper with. Our camper was an Aliner at 2000 lbs fully loaded. Add our bikes and kayaks to the Santee along with three of us and our dog and a cooler or two and other stuff...and well, I was less than confident on some of the terrain in VT and NH. And most definitely happy top have the Aliner equipped with brakes in some instances.

I know everyones setup is different, I just wanted to add my .02 and experience.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
charby

Hey KristinU,
Nice to hear your experences too. The older Santa Fe's had the 2.7l V6 until 07 they got the 3.3 and now have 3.5. The towing has been 3500# since 07 with electric brakes, not sure what it was before.
You are correct on the weight of the extras, I don't haul anymore than a 1/3 water total as I fill at sites and empty when leaving.
It is only the two of us and an 11# ****-su, and I let the wife ride up front with me. lol. The weight distribution hitch is a must.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
paulchampagne7

Inspector gadget,

If towing capacity of minivan is 3 800 pounds, 80% rule gives you a confortable 3 040 pounds. You should be fine with a 19 footer.

Just try to keep your holding tanks empty most of the time while you travel and go easy on gear you bring.

Most of all, I respect and admire your effort to support your local economy, go for it.

Paul
paulchampagne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by charby
Hey KristinU,
Nice to hear your experences too. The older Santa Fe's had the 2.7l V6 until 07 they got the 3.3 and now have 3.5. The towing has been 3500# since 07 with electric brakes, not sure what it was before.
You are correct on the weight of the extras, I don't haul anymore than a 1/3 water total as I fill at sites and empty when leaving.
It is only the two of us and an 11# ****-su, and I let the wife ride up front with me. lol. The weight distribution hitch is a must.
Actually our '05 is a 3.5l V6. 3500 lb. published tow capacity. But the family, gear, and terrain are key. We also did not try a WDH...had we not decided that we wanted something bigger trailer wise, thus a bigger TV, we would have tried that next to see if performance improved. Oh, and we had to have the brake control wiring added aftermarket...not sure if they offer a tow pkg that includes it now.

Personally, I just think safety is key when considering a tow setup. Inevitably some jerk is going to cut in front of you on the freeway and I like to sleep well knowing that the tow vehicle won't get tossed around by the trailer when the brakes are slammed on...or can speed up out of a sway situation it necessary.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
leonmacha

2011 Toytoa 4Runner has 5000 lb tow capacity. Toyota Tacoma can be equipped to handle 6000+pounds. Getting 11-12 mpg with 4runner. Handles well with electric brake controller and anti-sway/weight distribution hitch. Shop internet, you can find Equal-i-zer hitch for just over $400.
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote