Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Truck55

Default No 12v

I have an 04 Sun Voyager 8335MXG

Have lost 12v power. Won’t work on shore power or battery power

Batteries are charging on converter. My fuse panel ( down by drivers left). Only has power to o one side

It’s like breaker or fuse somewhere has tripped or blown

Happened all of a sudden

Any help with this would be appreciated
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Truck55

I think I found why I’m not getting 12v on most my lights. The fuse block by driver only has power on 1 side. Now I have to find where that is feed from.

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
jeremyseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck55 View Post
I think I found why I’m not getting 12v on most my lights. The fuse block by driver only has power on 1 side. Now I have to find where that is feed from.
Doesn't really where the feed is from; rather why it's not going to anything, right?

Not having seen this fuse block, I wouldn't know what to look at specifically, but I'd check three things:
  1. Positive bus - check for power on the currently-powered side of the fuses - the common bus should have +~12V
  2. Ground - check for postive power on the non-powered side against a known-good ground
  3. Master cutoff - look near/on the block for a master fuse or circuit breaker (manual or auto/thermal reset)

Chances are you have a bad connection on the positive bus or the common ground.

If there's a master cutoff, it could be a thermal-reset circuit breaker on the positive feed from the batteries. Disconnect the batteries and wait an hour to see if the breaker resets. Or see if there's a reset button on the breaker.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Truck55

I found a solenoid in the far front storage on drivers side. I’m trying to post a pic of it. Not sure what it does. Turned the battery switch (right inside the door) and it does make any sound at all

I also am trying to post pic of fuse box.

From what I can tell the wires from top of fuse box go there. But not certain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 883CF090-A543-4054-AD43-949A61CDA835.jpg (390.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8FCC9203-EE05-4974-A6EE-B795AF72533D.jpg (182.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Truck55

Checked the solenoid this morning. I have 13.7v on one side and 9v on the other

Also no power to the red control wire on solenoid

Probably never find where that wire comes from. It a small control wire

I’m trading this thing in if I can ever get the lights fixed
Old 09-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Truck55

I took a jumper cable and jumped across the solenoid. Checked fuse block and had power to both sides. But still no lights.

I guess I have lost a ground for that side of the fuse box
Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
jeremyseattle

Did you check continuity across the circuit breakers? And/or do you see a manual reset on them?

Have you tried applying 12V (or 13.7V) to the center post?

Your voltage readings obviously point to a low battery on one side - or a lot of resistantce (or partial-open?). How do the batteries read when you check them directly?

Do your voltage readings change when you start the engine and/or when on shore power? I'm guessing you're getting 13.7V on one side because you're on shore power and your converter is charging that side. Activating the solenoid should switch that, so it may just be a bad solenoid. That's why I'm curious if anything happens when you apply voltage to the control post.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
Truck55

Do you mean the center post on solenoid?

The batteries are brand new and have 13.7 v each and together
Old 09-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
jeremyseattle

[QUOTE=Truck55;32054]Do you mean the center post on solenoid?

yes - that wire should get voltage when the ignition is on (engine running), and it should switch the solenoid so that the alternator charges the batteries/supplies 12V to the coach. Not sure how shore power affects that, so might be best to unplug first. If you simply apply power to that post, then I think you should at least hear a click.

It really sounds like the solenoid is bad - that's a cheap and easy fix. I'm new to the RV world, though - this is mainly knowledge I've gained while researching my own motor home - so hoping somebody else will chime in.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Truck55

Ok I’ll try that but the lights have always worked on battery, generator or shore power never had to have key on for them to work. Anytime I camp I disconnect my coach battery. So I don’t think this solenoid has anything to do with alternator
But I could be wrong
Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Truck55

I put 13v to solenoid and it clicked but still no lights. Also with solenoid closed not getting 13v through solenoid. Also jumped across battery disconnect and still no lights. It’s about to storm. Maybe lightening will strike this thing and put it out of its misery lol
Old 09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
jeremyseattle

Really baffling! Do you have continuity across both circuit breakers - on each side of the solenoid?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Truck55

Just found something else. I have breakers and 12v fuse panels at the foot of bed

One of the 12v fuse panels has no power. I tried to trace where it goes but it goes on top of gas tank. Got dark so I couldn’t see where else it goes. I think the 2 wires coming out of converter go up to the batteries as I get 13v on them with coach unplugged. Also don’t think I have inverted but I’m getting 18v at fuse block by driver

This whole thing is making no sense to me. Why can’t they just put all fuses near each other.

Whole thing is baffling me. I think I’ll feed the fuse panel in the back off the converter and see what happens
Old 09-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
jeremyseattle

curiouser and curiouser...
Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
Truck55

Well I fed the panel ( the small one at the foot of the bed) directly from the converter. It was fed from somewhere up front. When I did that all my lights started working. But still not getting any power to one side of the fuse block up by the driver. And my generator isn’t getting any power so it won’t start

I’m going Sunday to look at a 12 southwind. They offered me 15k on trade. If I like the southwind and can make a deal this thing is gone. It’s 110 miles away so I ain’t driving this over unless I make a deal. Once papers are signed it’s theirs
Old 10-07-2020, 07:41 AM   #16
Truck55

Finally I found breakers in the forward storage compartment on passenger side. I had stuff stored in there and never saw them. 2 of them were tripped. Reset them and now I have all my 12v power working

Trading this thing on Saturday. At least everything is working now.

I have to drive it 140 miles to trade it. Hope the damn thing will make it. It should as it’s always ran great