Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
Herboy33

Default Battery charging

Hello all
Just took delivery on a 2021 Vintage Cruiser Woody 19CSK. Battery is dead
Will it charge when plugged into house power? Can't seem to figure out manual as to whether it does or not. Any help appreciated.
Herboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
Ldubs

Yes, at least ours does.

If the battery is completely dead you might want to ask for a new one as it could be damaged. I'm kind of on thin ice here, so you might want to confirm with others first.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Herboy33

Default Battery

Thanks for thought.
I was thinking same thing . Had it plugged into garage power for three or four days.Disconnected house power for three and it would not even power led lights. Nothing else was turned on except radio light. Am going to put two batteries in now with future solar panel. Also have a battery meter to hook up.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:18 AM   #4
lets go

Do yourself a favor and put in 2- 6 volt batteries and wire them in series , I use Trojan 125 or a Trojan 105 these are golf cart batteries and are accustomed to being discharged and recharged a lot . I had a set of these and lasted 8 years before I got a new set (didnt really need a new set but thought since they were old I might as well replace them ) I do a lot of dry camping so they were put to the test. Bad part is they are more costly than a 12 volt battery but will outlast
2- 12 volt batteries.
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Herboy33

Default Battery charger

Good to know , I’ll do it
Thanks
Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Herboy33

Has anyone added solar to their tt? I have a 2021 -19csk and going to put in 2- 6 volts t105 Trojans . Anyone know if the solar on trailer is just a plug in on side and done ?
Thanks
Old 04-05-2021, 06:05 AM   #7
Martym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herboy33 View Post
Hello all
Just took delivery on a 2021 Vintage Cruiser Woody 19CSK. Battery is dead
Will it charge when plugged into house power? Can't seem to figure out manual as to whether it does or not. Any help appreciated.
My 2018 19csk would kill the battery in 3or 4 days . I found the biggest draw was the swintek slide out auto lock . I have installed a battery master cut off switch on the tongue and a 10 watt solar panel on top of the propane tank cover. I plan to install a switch to shut off the slide out when boondocking and not moving the camper.
Martym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
muleman

Yes it should be charging on your house power. If it is not it is either your battery bad or your charger is not working properly. When I bought my Vista Cruiser in 2015 its battery was bad and they had to replace it.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
lets go

I have read several articles on this forum that said batteries were bad from day one ? Not a good way to do business perhaps they bought a lot of bulk batteries at a good price, rv builders are known for cutting cost on builds anyway they can, I have not heard if they paid for replacement batteries or not. I plan on getting some Trojan 6 volt batteries from day 1.

I have found this forum very useful for what could go wrong and the fix
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #10
Steven

Default verify the inverter for lithium batteries before using

If the battery is not already a lithium battery and you are changing out the lead acid for lithium, read about the inverter/controller and make sure it can handle the lithium battery. There are different current requirements/limitations and an inverter/controller set for lead acid may or may not be able to handle lithium.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #11
Steven

check out Will Prowse on youtube for tons of solar information. Geared more for general solar info vs RV specific, but it will help you understand a lot of the basics so you can make more informed decisions.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
Herboy33

Great info thanks
Probably sticking with flooded 6 volts
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #13
Herboy33

Seems to be taking and holding charge. Still going to switch it out for two 6 volts before our big trip in fall
Thanks
Old 04-11-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Herboy33

Hi
Researching my charging system on my 2021 GS Vintage Cruiser. I know it had a built in charger/converter but does anyone know if it’s a smart charger? So it doesn’t fry batteries
Thanks
Old 04-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #15
RY469

The converter/charger in your unit is designed for lead acid, including AGM batteries. It will bulk charge then settle down to float for maintaining your house batteries condition. So leaving your unit plugged in to shore power (with battery disconnect on . . . connected) will keep your house batteries happy. (Chassis batteries only charge with engine alternator, although engine can also charge house batteries while driving, if your isolator is installed correctly).

Worse thing one can do to these batteries is to allow them to discharge and sit. They will actually short themselves out internally and there's little chance of recovery. That's why even new RV's at Dealerships can have bad batteries.
Plan to use your batteries to no more than 50% discharge and keep them charged when you can.

I'm a Service Tech (at a Dealership). I (try to) wait until the customer is going to pick up the unit, before I put new batteries in (when practical that is).
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #16
Herboy33

Great info
Thanks so much
Old 06-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #17
mixinmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
The converter/charger in your unit is designed for lead acid, including AGM batteries. It will bulk charge then settle down to float for maintaining your house batteries condition. So leaving your unit plugged in to shore power (with battery disconnect on . . . connected) will keep your house batteries happy. (Chassis batteries only charge with engine alternator, although engine can also charge house batteries while driving, if your isolator is installed correctly).

Worse thing one can do to these batteries is to allow them to discharge and sit. They will actually short themselves out internally and there's little chance of recovery. That's why even new RV's at Dealerships can have bad batteries.
Plan to use your batteries to no more than 50% discharge and keep them charged when you can.

I'm a Service Tech (at a Dealership). I (try to) wait until the customer is going to pick up the unit, before I put new batteries in (when practical that is).
So my newly purchased AGM Group 31 battery is good to go in a swap out with my old lead battery on a 2018 GS Vintage Cruiser 23RSS?
mixinmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
RY469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinmaster View Post
So my newly purchased AGM Group 31 battery is good to go in a swap out with my old lead battery on a 2018 GS Vintage Cruiser 23RSS?
"Adsorbed Glass Mat" (AGM) batteries are lead acid batteries. They have a fiberglass type "matting" material filled with a gelled sulfuric acid mixture between the plates . . . The design is superior to a "wet cell" for many reasons, just more expensive to manufacture.

Short answer, you'll be fine.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #19
mixinmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
"Adsorbed Glass Mat" (AGM) batteries are lead acid batteries. They have a fiberglass type "matting" material filled with a gelled sulfuric acid mixture between the plates . . . The design is superior to a "wet cell" for many reasons, just more expensive to manufacture.

Short answer, you'll be fine.
Great, thanks a bunch!
mixinmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
Larryjb

Just a quick question regarding the chassis battery. I have a 2021 - 5210 BT cruiser.
The house charger does not charge the chassis battery, only the house battery receives the charge.
Is there a way to connect the chassis battery into the circuit so it receives a charge?
The Ford battery is constantly drawn down due to the electronics and the automatic steps use amps from the chassis battery.
Thanks for any comments or help.
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote