Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Eddie Coble

Default Slide-out draft reduction

Living in northern Indiana means some cold-weather traveling. Making two such trips recently, I found a great deal of cold air coming from the space between the coach floor and the slide outs.

Solution: Get several pieces of insulation a plumber would use to rap half and three-quarter inch pipes. It is the grey foam tubing with a split. I used the three-quarter inch for the wide gaps between the slide out and the coach floor and the half inch on the narrow spaces. It is easy to cut and push into the spaces and it will stop most of the draft. When I get into warmer climate I remove the pieces and store them under the bed for the next time I need them.

Note: It works with air conditioning too. It saves having to run the generator and the roof air while driving the highway. One other thing worth the money is the insulation pad to fill the roof vent.