Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Herbdb

Default Generator won't accept load

I have an 18 month old Class C with a Onan genset. On our last trip, we began having problems with the generator accepting the AC load. The generator starts and runs, but will not pick up the load.

We were able to use it on our trip down to North Carolina, but after staying in a campground with AC hooked up for a week, we were unable to get it to run any appliances. I suspect a relay is stuck somewhere, but would appreciate ideas or helpful comments.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
RJ82much

Herb,

I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by "won't accept load". Does a circuit breaker trip on the generator? Does generator stall? Or does nothing happen?

I'm guessing that the transfer switch is bad, which is what you suggested. I would have expected that the transfer switch (relay) would have stuck in it's normal position which is "generator" but anything is possible.

If you or someone unfamiliar with RV wiring changes out the transfer switch, make positively sure that the replacement is wired in exactly like the one removed.

Hopefully others on the forum might have a better idea or have run into this themselves.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Herbdb

By not accepting load, I mean that AC power is not being supplied to the RV AC bus.

Does anyone know where the switching relay that selects an AC source is located?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
RJ82much

Herb,

The switching relay, known as the transfer switch, is located in the God-awefullest location imaginable in my Class A Sun Voyager. It is mounted to the floor, under the drawers of the rear closet in our bedroom. There is no room to see it, nor to get to it. I stuck a digital camera in the space to take pictures of the nameplate & the connections. I hope I never have to replace it because of the heavy guage of the 50 amp wiring. It appears as though the factory assembles the switch & wiring before the rear cap is installed & figures it's your problem once purchased. My converter is a separate unit mounted under the bed.

The switch used by Gulf Stream was Lyght (formerly Todd Engineering).

Currently GS is listing
* Parallax Power 7355A converter/transfer switch
* Magnetek 7345A converter/transfer switch
* IOTA Engineering ITS-50R transfer switch
* IOTA Engineering ITS-30 transfer switch

Which do you have? Depends on your model. Where is it? Probably not too far away from the generator & the shore power connection because of the heft of the connecting cables.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Holy Cow !! all my switches and breakers for boyh 110 and 12v are
located under the bed. Lots of room and neatly arranged.

Thank Goodness they wired mine on a "good" day !!!

Biggest culprit i've found in the system is aloose ground. Get the name off the tranfer swith and go to thier website. I've found that every manufacturer that I needed has a site and you can either download the information, or, e-mail thier customer support.

Good Luck and Best regards, Clyde
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Herb,
Check out the posts link that describes the problem and fix I had with my transfer switch.
http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=1300

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Home Skillet

There is a circuit breaker on the generator.
Should be close to the start switch on the generator.
Home Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
ghamblen

I vote for the generator circuit breakers. I would start here first. Depending on which generator you have there could be one or two circuits breakers that allow power to be applied to the coach. If these breakers are tripped the coach power distribution box will not recieve any AC power from the generator. If these breakers are OK then the next step would be the input and output sections of the transfer switch.
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote