Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
miataking

Default Re: Scenic Cruiser owners

Whoo Hoo, I just bought my first class A, its a 96 GS Scenic Cruiser in mostly great shape, just needs some loving. I'm going to scan the archives for posts, but anything I need to know, look out for, take care of with a 60k '96 that's been only started and driven here and there over the last 3-4 years.

Thanks - look forward to bringing this one back up to it's intended purpose with love.

Mp2
Power Tech CD7k, Generator
No slides
miataking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
RayHarkness

good luck with your project..be prepared to run over a few curbs! and work your way thru things..takes time, and actualy you will soon learn your way around the coach. Thought about moving up to a new one, buy why..I know this one now! Let us know if you need any help..this is the place to ask questions and get advice. r
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
miataking

I appreciate that. I managed to transport it from East New Orleans to Jefferson at 4PM. Traffic was nuts, I guess I could also be considered nuts for the attempt. I've driven many types of vehicles including tractor trailers this was my first experience with a pusher and sitting in front of the front axle. Had a few forward and back moments getting around tight turns. Surprised myself. Was quite stable on the highway portion even with a 12-15 MPH cross wind. Takes a little getting used to not hearing the power train I imagine. Eerily quite up front. My next task will be to hunt down service & parts manuals for it. Any known sources for them? I have a few simple items that need to be replaced. Most notably the meter or gauge hood (dashboard in front the driver) has cracked and seems to be collapsing and also the surround (panel face) for the leveling system. Cracked sort of hangs there. I'm certain there is more. I appreciate in advance any feedback. Thanks. Mp2
No slides
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #24
RayHarkness

finding those types of parts will be the challenge..I tried to find a faceplate around our radio in the dashboard. Gulstream did NOT have it...let me think about that one...its a good coach...and trust me..you will figure most of it out easily...after a bit..you will know your way around it...or the "routes" to find things.

Anybody have any ideas about dashboard faceplates? r
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
miataking

I attempted to get everything online today. Water and Gas Systems. Filled the water tank with water and a cup or so bleach to be sure the lines and tank are clean. Had a significant amount of rust accumulation in the burner of the hot water heater, the jet was clogged up with dirt from those mud wasps. I blew it all out and cleaned it up fairly well, seems mostly superficial. Is it advisable to put an anode in where the drain is? Assuming I can get it loose.

Same issue with the AC/Gas refrigerator. Works great AC but would always go to safe mode (check) when switched to gas. I discovered the jet nozzle and tube had a small family of mud wasps moved in. Took all this apart cleaned it and as you may guess - it all works like it's supposed to.

My Shureflo pump 2088-403-144 has a slight drip at the pump housing, I tightened up on the screws and it slowed it to a single drop every 5-10 minutes. I imagine they make a seal kit for these. Otherwise it put good flow and pressure to every fixture. The tub seems a bit weak though, shower seems okay, but also... eh schway schway! Any know issues or things to look for.

My front AC buzzes fairly loud, the compressor cycles, the blower comes on for second, clicks then shuts off, clicks on, clicks off. It does this for awhile then eventually stays on. It's like ice as long as the blower is up to move the air. The rear does everything as it should except it's not near as cold as the front one even when not all too challenged. Can the roof units be charged? And, are the two ducted together.

I ordered in 4 gallons of the elastometric roof coating to reseal and protect what is there (RV Direct Online, $27.71 Gal) (80 sq. ft. per Gal., should get a bit over one coat) . Any suggestions on what to use on the larger seams, stack pipes and AC bases, we get a decent amount of rain here and for now it will have to brave the elements until I can get it under cover.

My awning, a manual one about 20ft I guess. Comes out but will not auto rewind. Any suggestions? I assume it's an internal spring or something. Not all that up to speed with roll up awnings. Another problem for another day.

SO far so good - my GS Scenic Cruiser is coming along - can't seem to get real work done around here now that it's shown up. Our first "shove off" date is May 30th - Florida - Disney with the wife and kids - I have a deadline.

Thanks in advance to any replies/comments. I hope that some of what I find (and post as result) will help out some other GS owners resolve the creepies.
No slides
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
RayChez1

On my 2002 Scenic cruiser it has a anode on the bottom drain. It is about seven inches long. It will save your tank in the long run. But I am not sure what brand you have, check with the manufacturer to see if it uses one. Some don't use one.

On your Shur-Flo you might want to goggle Shur-Flo and give them a ring to see if they have a kit for the gasket, if not then maybe you can buy the material and make your own.

Not sure on your AC units, but on mine I have a duel thermastat control. You can set the rear to different temperatures from the front AC. Same for the heat pump. The rear is on zone 1, the front is zone 2. Not sure as to why your AC in the front keeps recycling so often before it gets going, but it does not sound right.

On the roof I have a one piece fiber glass with two seams where the rounded side connects. It has Dicor for caulking on those two big seams. You should check for cracks on those seams and around vents at least every six months. Also caulk around the two antenna's and around the clearance lights. If not these coaches will leak on heavy rain days.

On your awning I was wondering that maybe you are not familiar with it, and how to roll it back in. You have to push forward the big toggle release on the right side or towards the front of the coach before it will start rolling in. If it still does not roll in, then it could be that the sprocket on the end of the awning might be worn out and the spring might have lost its rewind power. It will have to be rewound and held under pressure while somebody installs the new sprocket parts. I had my sprocket replaced because on a windy day it got ruined. It cost me 87 dollars at a RV shop. Well worth it.

Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #27
miataking

You may be right about the awning, I haven't had any experience with this type. Only the ones you have to roll up by hand or the crank wand style. I downloaded the manuals from Carefree of Colorado (it's a Sprit FX), over 18ft. They show part numbers and the how to's as well as the "how to use" the thing. Everyday is an education.

Road Lighting;
Since the main items are coming along without too much expense (as much as I expected any way), I decided to convert all the weather aged running lights to LED (Maxxima). I plan to add one just aft of the front wheel well on both sides and have it coupled into the turn circuit so I'll have a side flasher for the Joe's next to me. The reverse lights are...well... a joke for seeing only enough to let some one know your headed their way. So I bought a pair of surface mount LED backups (Maximma) for the sides in the rear and a pair of strip LEDs for each side on the rear. They seem to blend in well so not gaudy and after backing it by my shop after dark, added light back there seems a must. I initially wanted the recessed bucket style fixture, the one that shoots out at like a 30 degree angle, but couldn't locate them. I started to figure that they would be pricey after I discovered the LED's cost. The LED's are just plain cool. In addition, I located the Bargman LED tail lamp conversions at RV Direct - those buggers are pricey and considering I need six segments, OY!- -Another bite, another time. This GS also as no center mounted brake light. SInce there is gobs of space on that back wall I may get one of those LED strips in red to center for it also. One of my headlamp assemblies is frosted, the other clear as a bell. They show Hella Markings. Since they are intact I may try to polish them out in lieu of hunting replacements.

Back Up Camera;
Appears as though my BU camera is on the fritz. Assuming weather has caught up to it. Any advice on a good replacement camera?
No slides
Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
Madem Zen

Miataking,
I replaced my tails with those LED conversions and like you said, they are a bit pricey but well worth it! I have also replaced all the marker lights with LED's including some very cool low profile cab markers that were intended for a new Ford truck. Of course in keeping with the blacked out theme of our MH we tinted all the lights as well
For the headlights you can easily find some very nice bright new ones for pretty cheep as they are from an Audi 5000. You can even fnd HID projectors on ebay!

Have fun!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
Sundancer268

On my 95 Scenic Cruiser I traced the headlamps to an 1990 Audi 100 Quattro. I will be needing to replace them, I have to hold a match up to them to see if they are working or not. I will also have to replace one of the Fog/Driving lights as the passenger side lens is broken. The repairs to the lights will have to wait as I am replacing the sub-floor in front of the sink and bathroom. Need it road ready by the 18th of June for the first trip of the year.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #30
ravinsp

I replaced my tails with those LED conversions and like you said, they are a bit pricey but well worth it! I have also replaced all the marker lights with LED's including some very cool low profile cab markers that were intended for a new Ford truck. Of course in keeping with the blacked out theme of our MH we tinted all the lights as well
For the headlights you can easily find some very nice bright new ones for pretty cheep as they are from an Audi 5000. You can even fnd HID projectors on ebay!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
e4services

Responders, good day. Found this post in search to find out the buld size of the 2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser I was about to pickup. I am a Colorado RV wholesale dealer and like to have new bulbs for the drive back from the auction. Best I can resolve from research is that the headlamps are the OEM Hella Low and High beam housings, could be wrong, with the one lamp taking an H9 Low Beam bulb and the other an H7 High?
Any verification would be appriciated.
Mark
e4 Services, Inc. DBA Boulder County RV
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #32
RayHarkness

they are Hellas...I had a similar problem..same coach actually..I got some directly from Gulfstream...they are hard to find..not sure
if that helps...I got the housing and all..they tend to break over time.the housing and all...R
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
RayChez1

Those head lights are the same type that were used in the Audi cars of that year. I have the same coach, but I have never had any problems with the head lights.

You should be able to get the helogen bulbs through Amazon.Com. They are a European light bulb used on Audi cars.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
e4services

Quote:
Originally Posted by raharkness
they are Hellas...I had a similar problem..same coach actually..I got some directly from Gulfstream...they are hard to find..not sure
if that helps...I got the housing and all..they tend to break over time.the housing and all...R
Yes, the housing would help. What I would guess is that the housing is the Hella housing the produce for OEM use,HELLA 008193027 90mm DE Series 12V Low Beam

I was trying verify this to see if it is really a size H9 as the replacement bulb for what ever housing they are using
Old 12-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
e4services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Those head lights are the same type that were used in the Audi cars of that year. I have the same coach, but I have never had any problems with the head lights. You should be able to get the helogen bulbs through Amazon.Com. They are a European light bulb used on Audi cars.
I did read that someone here said something about Audi but the audi replacement bulbs for their cars of those years varied by model. And again, it is not the entire housing I am looking for, just the lamp is replaceable and I was confused on whether it is an H9 or H7 or H1, for I have seen references to all of them. Here is a chart if that helps, H1 is small one wire, H7 is larger 2 wire, and H9 is one of the newer modular phenolic 2 wire connector bulbs
Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #36
e4services

Quote:
Originally Posted by raharkness
they are Hellas...I had a similar problem..same coach actually..I got some directly from Gulfstream...they are hard to find..not sure if that helps...I got the housing and all..they tend to break over time.the housing and all...R
As I said, my guess is Hella, but the bulb size could be H1 or H9, that is what I was looking for someone to clarify so I could have the right spare when I go pickup the coach.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #37
e4services

Well, as the day I have to go pick up my Scenic Cruiser, and understanding it is the holidays, but not having any other resource that I can find for such a limited ownership of this coach, I went ahead with the H9 bulb. I hope that is right. The Hella 90mm (thats about 4" diameter) Headlight Housing that I posted is the only one I can find. It took an H9 modular bulb, which would make sense if they used it as Hi/Low Bi Halogen, for the H9 came both one and two filament. Hoping for the best, but if one of you can ID the bulb or housing parts/numbers within the next week, I would appreciate it.
Happy Holidays
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #38
RayChez1

So I was wondering how everything turned out. Did the light bulb work. Did you end up getting the coach or not. It would be nice to get a follow up.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #39
Flipman

We just bought a 1998 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser 8361 and love it! It has under 50k, and has been stored in an rv barn for the past 10 years. This is our 2nd motorhome, first was a 1986 Tiffin Allegro. We are very pleased with our GS so far, and will keep posting on trips and any problems.
Flipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #40
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipman
We just bought a 1998 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser 8361 and love it! It has under 50k, and has been stored in an rv barn for the past 10 years. This is our 2nd motorhome, first was a 1986 Tiffin Allegro. We are very pleased with our GS so far, and will keep posting on trips and any problems.
The Scenic Cruiser is a very good coach. We have had ours now since 2003 brand new, and it has served us well. We just got back from a trip to East Lake, Ca. We spent almost a month there. Had lots of fun.

Congrats: on your Scenic Cruiser Flipman.
Aventa II Blue Ox