Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Arthur Hayes

Default Removing TV 07 Tour Master

I hope someone has already done this. I plan to replace the Jensen 32" TV and cannot figure out what is holding it in place. I have removed all the wood trim but cannot budge the TV. Some kind of bracket has to be holding it but how do you access it?
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Chuck v

Art.

On my 2007 TM (40-C floor plan...) the wood frame was all that was holding the TV in place. Once you remove the four screws that hold the wooden "picture frame" in place and take that down, the TV should just be resting on the ledge, but it is a pretty tight fit to the space.

As I recall, I did take the first side cabinet door off from over the entry steps for added room, and swung the right side of the TV out first. Be prepared to hold the TV up while you disconnect all the cables -- the VGA cable is held in place with two thumb screws on the connector in typical computer monitor fashion.

I replaced mine with a Samsung 32 inch which has the front controls, and I mounted it high enough to add a small grille in front at the bottom so the downward pointing speakers can be heard. Costco had it for right at $300...

I did not find any full featured HDTV receivers in this size that had both the speakers and the controls front facing and still could be fit into the space allocated in the TM.

I also replaced the bedroom TV with a Visio 26 inch unit -- but that is another story on custom mounting.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Arthur Hayes

Thanks for the reply and the info. Guess I did not try hard enough to pull it out.
So far the Samsung is the only one that I have found that will fit also but I am still looking.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
tarheel

Art-
I also replaced mine with the Samsung. As Chuck mentioned, be prepared for some weight when you get it out. It weighs a few pounds more than the Samsung.

I had to pry the edges of my old TV to get it loose after removing the wood trim. It was really a tight fit. I took mine out by myself and then had to hold the weight to disconnect everything. It works best with a helper.

Dick
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Arthur Hayes

Thanks for the advice Dick, sure glad you guys paved the road for me.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
tarheel

Art-
I don't know what you have in mind as far as finishing the opening, but mine had a gap on the sides and the top. So, what I did was take the existing frame, stain and finish a piece of quarter round and glued it to the upside (or inside) bottom of the frame. It matched perfectly. Then, I cut a piece of wood (3/4 " thickness I believe) and placed it underneath the TV. This bottom piece made for a tight fit for the TV's height. Then all I had to do was center the TV leaving a small gap on either end that was hidden by the frame. I've traveled over 5,000 miles in the past 2 1/2 months and the TV is still as solid as ever.

The connections on the back of the Samsung are different from the original, so I had an expert do some rewiring for me so the the new TV was coordinated with my surround system and all the other electronics.

Hope my explanation is understandable!

Dick
Old 09-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Chuck v

Dick,

I did a similar "adjustment" to the cherry wood frame that held in the original front Jensen TV -- what I found particularly useful was the quarter-round trim that is sold to be used with hardwood flooring. This molding is pre-finished, and available in a stain that is quite close to the existing cabinetry. I just used it on the two side portions of the existing frame as the opening was a bit too wide for the new Samsung TV.

I mounted the TV as high as possible in the opening, which left the most room for a grill at the lower edge to let the speakers be heard. I used the mount boss from the Samsung's pedestal, but screwed it to a block of wood about 6 inches long and 2.75 inches square that I drilled with a hole saw to accept the mount boss. This wood block is then cross screwed into the frame member at the rear of the cabinet and everything is very solid. I painted this wood block black and used a black grill such that the opening is visually subtle and looks like it should be there.

This Samsung TV is the same three inches thick as the earlier Jensen, so the wooden "picture frame" holds everything in place pretty much the same as the factory installation.

The bedroom TV was much more of a custom fit. I mounted the Vizio 26 inch unit on the OUTSIDE of the framed box that held the little Jensen, but used a VESA mount from CW to attach it firmly to the rear panel of the box. This method allowed the edge mounted controls of the TV to be accessed if the remote should fail for any reason... This TV is very thin and looks fine on the outside of the frame. The speakers on this Vizio are on the front and did not need any special consideration for this application. A little foam weatherstripping made the two side edges look finished if you should peer around the TV far enough, and the top is open enough to let out what little heat this set generates. Then the whole box+TV combination was remounted in the vanity cabinet using the existing screws in the corner of the wooden frame. I added a small DVD player with HDMI output in the upper vanity cabinet adjacent to and just right of the TV as that was where AC power is prewired, this gives me a source of 'real' HDTV content in addition to the ATSC, since there is no HDMI cabling from elsewhere in the coach. Of course I also used the existing coax for the antenna connection and the video/audio connections from the front A/V selector just as they had been used for the little Jensen that was removed.

Chuck

Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Arthur Hayes

Dick you said that the connections are different. Doesn't the Samsung use composite connections (RCA), the type we have in the motor home now?
After reading what you guys did to finish the trim I believe that I will wait until I finishing working the season here at the Canyon and get back to Florida in December. Their I will have access to tools and supplies that I may need.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Chuck v

Art,

The new TV has the composite connections, but that really does not do the display justice (as I noted in the discussion of the rear TV and the addition of a local DVD player with HDMI interconnect.)

The antenna connection is used as before on the front TV and the internal ATSC tuner in the Samsung will decode digital terrestrial broadcasts which the old Jensen could not. The audio output from the TV that goes to the existing surround sound amplifier needs an adapter since the TV's analog sound connector is a minijack stereo connector (like an earphone...) and the required adapter has a mating plug on one end and the two RCA jacks needed on the other. I did connect the composite leads from the "TV1" outputs from the A/V switch (yellow for video and red/white for the audio...) to the appropriate composite inputs of the Samsung, but hope to upgrade the system soon.

The Samsung also has several direct HDMI inputs, and I ran two HDMI cables into the center cabinet where the pitiful excuses for 'entertainment equipment' that GS installed are housed. At some later date I plan to upgrade the little Sony surround sound/DVD player to a Blu-Ray capable home theater system, which will have an HDMI output, and when I put in a better satellite antenna I will get a receiver that has HD capability and it too will have an HDMI output. Since I am not going to rewire the coach and do not presently have TV sets at the basement bay nor under the cabinet opposite the couch, I most likely will not change the A/V router to something capable of more than just composite signals... With an upgraded surround processor/home theater unit I would also be able to connect the TV audio output digitally, either with the SP-DIF connector or with the optical connector.

In summary, you can use the new TV just as the old one was connected, but since it is so much better in terms of features and video performance, you should consider other connection possibilities as well. This is absolutely true if you have upgraded or soon will upgrade the satellite to HD capabilities

Chuck

Old 09-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
Chuck v

Thought I would post some pictures of the TV installations -- so here goes. The Samsung is a 32 inch 540 series and may not be the same model as other members here have used in their coaches.

Front TV under normal lighting:

...and another view with flash to 'see through' the grill and show the locations of the painted blocks. I may in the future add some grill cloth to further finish the appearance.

Note that I have yet to put the little wood buttons back over the mounting screws in the wooden frame.

These next pictures are of the bedroom TV which is a Vizio 26 inch with a very thin edge profile -- it is mounted in front of the old TV's framework to allow the edge-located controls to be manually operated if necessary.

It is a LOT BIGGER screen than the little 19 inch Jensen that used to be in this location. The Vizio is thin enough that it just "floats" about a half inch above the cabinet surface and does not look out of place at all...

Here is a view of the DVD player that is in the adjacent cabinet -- I still need to drill a hole and put a small lens in the door to allow the DVD remote to operate with this cabinet closed.

Hope these pictures make the discussions above more understandable...

Chuck

Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
tarheel

Chuck-
Great job on the pictures and the installation. You're right that your Samsung is a little different than mine. Mine has the bottom speaker, but not the same grill assemble at the bottom.

Was your rear TV originally installed in a swivel or stationary cabinet? On my 40A the rear TV is installed in a swivel cabinet with storage behind it, it doesn't appear that yours may be the same, but I can't tell for sure. I've measured every TV I can find and none are the same dimensions as mine. I may have to go to an outside mount also, but am having trouble figuring how to do it, and make it look as neat as yours.

Dick
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Chuck v

Dick,

The 40-C has a bedroom vanity slide that has a non-moving TV section that is very shallow with no storage behind it. I am sure that you can 'surface mount' an appropriate sized ultra thin HDTV onto your existing cabinet, which will free you to look at models that have edge controls as most do now.

On the front TV (Samsung 540 series...) the speakers are in the lower rear of the TV with bottom edge perforations, hence the need for me to add the grill work and elevate the TV installation with the wooden blocks at the bottom center and the two lower corners. That grill is actually a plastic gutter topper cut to fit -- I plan to add come grill cloth in the future to make for an even cleaner installation...

Chuck

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
GO BLUE

I changed mine out a couple of years ago got a visio 32 hdtv at target $329 picture is better on the batwing than direct tv.........jim k
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
RJ82much

Arthur,

I had the same mystery getting my (original) Sony out of the overhead. The TV still wouldn't budge after removing the wooden face. I eventually discovered a flat plastic strap behind, holding the TV from bouncing around & out. It was banding similar to what's used to tie items down on a pallet - very tough, flexible & strong, though only held with a couple of half-seated screws into the particle board.

I can't believe I forget the exact steps I went through, but with age comes forgetfulness! Plus, nearly 2 years have passed since I took the TV out. I'm thinking maybe I removed the 2 wooden trim pieces on either side of the overhead cabinet, I then removed 4 long screws that fastened the particle board under the TV to the interior metal frame. The interior of the cabinet is actually a metal frame. I'm thinking I was able to slide the TV out far enough to cut the strap. All I know is thinking that once I cut the strap, it was the point of no return. A heavy TV could never go back up.

It was a wonder the TV never fell out on my head because of the rinky-dink installation!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Arthur Hayes

Thanks for that information Bob, If I cae it I will search for the strap or whatever. When I do the TV change I want to add a cooling fan in the AV cabinet at the same time.
My direct TV receiver over heats when I am facing the Sun. Right now I have a small fan sitting on the receiver and it keeps the temp down and everything running but this is a temporary fix.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Chuck v

Art,

I think it was David Bott that replaced the smoke colored plastic panels in the equipment cabinet doors with perforated grill material to assist in keeping the satellite receiver and other equipment cool. Maybe a search can turn something up...

Chuck

Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
RJ82much

I guess it's time to show my LCD installation:

Thanks to using the camera flash, the mount can be seen behind the grill. The Samsung is about ?" wider than every other brand, so it fit in like a glove. I reused the picture frame gaskets for a shock-proof mount.

The wood block behing the grill has a hole drilled to accept the TV round mount (removed the TV pedestal base). The visible wood block is lag bolted to a larger wood plate so that I could reach in with a rachet & lag it to the cabinet base. At least it is removeable.

The bad news is I hope the wires never unplug and I hope I never loose the remote!

This shows the short side trim I removed to expose 2 of the 4 screws that fasten the original base to the cabinet sides & metal inner frame.

My black grill wasn't quite wide enough for the opening, soo I had to cobble some trim to finish the project. It was time to head west to South Dakota.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Arthur Hayes

Nice neat professional looking job. Your TV location is different than the TourMasters.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #19
jshelley13

Default Re: Removing TV 07 Tour Master

I have a few questions,re: my 2007 tourmaster, hopefully someone can help...

1) I cannot get local reception using my batwing, (roll up antenna) would the tv not be adaptable w/o a converter box?,
do you think the batwing is not working?, I did hook up a new tv to the batwing, did not work....

2) my rear tv does not get good reception,...any ideas?

thks Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
tarheel

Default Re: Removing TV 07 Tour Master

Jim-
On my 07 Tourmaster, the TV's did not have digital tuners (I believe I stated that right). The books on both stated that they were digital, but their tuners were not. I replaced the front TV and connected a digital box to the back one. Prior to doing that, I had digital boxes on both.

Dick