Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
rsims

Default Fan clutch conversion

Has anyone done an electronic fan clutch conversion or do you have one on your VT365 now.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
schmittm

Default Re: Fan clutch conversion

I did this conversion last year before I sold my supernova. I had the international dealer in Yakima WA do the work and it cost me about $2000K I think. I had the rig for three months with this done before I sold it. It was well worth the money, that fan and the noise was my biggest complaint about the VT365. It is amazing that they would not sound proof the cabs and do this electric fan clutch on rig that costs this much. It is not a cheap conversion and the parts will cost at least $1000+, it is not really a do it yourself kind of project. You have to have a special puller and take the front area apart. I felt I wanted the work done right and warranted. I also sound proofed the cab and engine compartment when I bought it.

I think the fan conversion is more important than the rear air suspension and well worth the money if you are going to keep the rig and use it a lot. Private message me and I can tell you more if you need.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
rsims

Was wondering if you got my private message - would like to talk to you more about your sound proofing.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
schmittm

For those wanting more info on sound proofing, do a search for all the posts I made for my user name and you will see where I talk about it and have a link to pictures.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Gemini John

schmitten, if you still read this forum, I am interested in the electric fan conversion. I tow and run a lot of hills in the hills of PA. I ask my local International dealer and came up lame for answers. And direction appriciated. Getting ready for race season. Just looking for improvements to our "Carrot" 08 GS 6372. Thanks John
Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
LabCab

John: Since you run hills and tow, have you thought about an Exhust Brake? Have one on our '08 6362 It's a charm.
Encountered one too many hills and mountians. Worth the price. Back channel me and I'd be happy to fill you in.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
bhplumber

When you say an electric fan conversion do you mean electric fans mounted to the radiator eliminating the the engine driven fan or installing the electric activated clutch fan drive to the engine driven fan? I am trying to eliminate the engine driven fan to quiet the cab down and hopefully gain a few HP? My local international dealer says there isn't a conversion available.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
SlimTim

I am curious, are your VT365 fans always running? My VT365 fan is electronically activated and only comes on at approx 200 Deg engine temp. Once the fan cycles on it drops the engine temp down to approx. 180 Deg and then the fan disengages again. Yes, the fan is quite load when it is on but otherwise it is not spinning and everything is quite.

In lieu of an electric fan you may want to look into a two-speed or variable speed fan for the VT365. This would allow the fan to run at lower speeds when maximum cooling is not required; lower fan speeds equals less noise. Check out (hortonww.com) as they may have a direct bolt on fan clutch that will quite things down without having to redesign your electrical system to run an electric fan.

If you are dead set on an electric fan, or you just want more information, check out www.electricfanengineering.com. I have been researching large over the road electric fans for a project I am working on and this is the only place I have found that specializes in large vehicle fans.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
bhplumber

I did see the horton piece but Id like to eliminate the engine drag completely. Mine runs just as you explained on at 200 off at 180 give or take a few degrees. It is just so noisy and Im guessing I'd gain a few HP with it gone. I just emailed electric fan engineering. We will see what they say.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote