Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
2007 Kingsport

Default 2007 Kingsport 235

Let's see. A few of the problems that I have found on my 2007, Kingsport:
1) Got the trailer home and started to stow my gear. Lifted up the front bed to access the storage area under it and the gas shocks that hold it up broke off. Well, the shocks themselves didn't break, but the mounting blocks that they were attached to broke off from the OSB lid. Fixed it with some wood glue (no glue used at factory for some reason) and longer wood screws (the factory screws went up from the bottom through the mounting blocks and into the OSB lid, but were only able to penetrate about 1/8" because they were too short) to secure the blocks to the lid properly. BTW - I screwed the mounting blocks down from the top of the lid so that the screws got a good 3/4" bite into the mounting blocks. The screws are hidden from view by the bed's mattress.
2) Went camping the first time and the cable TV wouldn't work. When I was using the antenna, got some very snowy reception, but that was to be expected at the campground. But, when I connected to the campground's cable, there was nothing on the TV. Took the TV outside and connected it directly to the campground's cable and everything worked fine. Took me a while to locate the problem, the factory never connected the cable (for cable TV) to the splitter located in the wall behind the TV shelf. Found the cable buried in the wall, put an F-Type connector on it and hooked it up, works great now.
3) For some reason the shower curtain liner was at least 12" too long for the shower. The excess liner would just bunch up in the bottom of the shower and trap water. Took it out, trimmed it down and reinstalled.
4) The window blinds in both the dinette and the upper rear bunk get "squished" by the mattress / seat cushions. I am going to remove the lower mounting points and move them above the mattress / seat cushion to solve this problem.
5) The owners manual for the trailer is useless. Doesn't tell you exactly where the various systems are located, or how to operate them. Yes, the dealer went over everything with me, and I took copious notes, but still had to figure out a couple of things myself that should have been in the owner's manual (ie the exact location of the FW tank drain valve, which had its drain hose kinked when in the open position - rerouted the drain hose to solve the problem).
While, the above are pretty minor gripes, and easily remedied, I believe that they all should have been found during a factory QA inspection. But, for whatever reason, they were not found until I got the unit home.
The owner's manuals are the most troubling aspects of using my trailer. Since I am relatively new to trailer camping (I have spent years tent camping), not having well documented manuals for all of the trailer systems causes me to rely very heavily on other campers who may or may not have the right answer. Calls to the dealership have been answered quickly and correctly, but I don't see why I should have to keep calling the dealer for things that should be in the owner's manual.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
coolchas11

While we haven't had any major problems with our Gulf Streams I do agree with you. Every manufacturer and dealer should have a "finisher" or final checker. This individual should have a checklist of almost endless items to check for installation, workability, cleanliness, etc. That way every item you wrote about and we have experienced would be addressed and corrected, if necessary. The dealer would get a near perfect rv and the customer the same. Charlie
Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
rjf7g

Default Hope I have better luck!

I am awaiting delivery of an Innsbruck 36FRS with front queen ipo dinette and bunks (this gives it two queen bedrooms) and most every option available and was happy to find the owner's manual on-line. I am not happy that I can't copy and paste from it in to my own document to help me make checklists and such for when my dealer goes over everything with me.

I am trusting that my dealer will catch 90% of the little things that haven't already been caught by a factory QC, but it sounds like both of these steps may have been skipped on your unit.

If I do manage to spend the time to transfer some of the 34 pages of the "Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel's Owner's Manual" to Word or something, do you want me to e-mail it to you?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
CampWinican

Welcome to the wonderful world of travel trailers! You will find that, if your like me and not terribly handy with tools, then you will have to rely on your dealer for quality service when something major breaks. Sounds like you have been able to handle all the small irritations yourself, which is good!

Gulfstream isn't the only one who ignors the small stuff. I have seen all of the things you mentioned on many other models also. Apparently, if the unit rolls down the road without falling apart then the manufacturer proclaims it be "good to go!"

Interesting that you found your cable to not be connected. I found the same thing on my 2004 model. Apparently, after 3 years, Gulfstream has yet to fix this blunder.

Nevertheless, I still believe that my Gulfstream, even though considered a "low end" model, to be of better quality than many others that we looked at when we were shopping around. (except for the Carlisle tires, may they rest in peace)
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
RJ82much

Default Re: Hope I have better luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
...and was happy to find the owner's manual on-line. I am not happy that I can't copy and paste from it in to my own document to help me make checklists and such for when my dealer goes over everything with me.

....If I do manage to spend the time to transfer some of the 34 pages of the "Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel's Owner's Manual" to Word or something, do you want me to e-mail it to you?
GS has posted their documentation in PDF format files. PDF's are far more efficient for a company to post online. PDF's are not editable, but you can copy from the document - paste to a Word document.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The following was copy - pasted from the Kingsport Manual:
1. One-Piece, Seamless Rubber Roof with 12 Year Warranty
2. Strong Wood Roof Decking, Glued and Screwed
3. Thick Blanket of Fiberglass Insulation
4. 4-1/4? Residential Style Bowed Roof Truss System

You may need to upgrade (free) to a newer version of Adobe Acrobat. I'm using version 7.0 There is a select tool on the bar near the top called the "select tool" (the Letter "I" & a right faciing arrowhead). Click to activate, then highlight the text &/or picture you want for your checklist, click ctrl-insert keys. Go to your Word document & shift-insert keys to paste.

PDFs are not the handiest format to deal with, but with them, companies are willing to post their huge catalogs & documents

Let us know how you make out. The checklists are a great idea & likely worth the effort.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g
...and was happy to find the owner's manual on-line. I am not happy that I can't copy and paste from it in to my own document to help me make checklists and such for when my dealer goes over everything with me.

....If I do manage to spend the time to transfer some of the 34 pages of the "Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel's Owner's Manual" to Word or something, do you want me to e-mail it to you?
GS has posted their documentation in PDF format files. PDF's are far more efficient for a company to post online. PDF's are not editable, but you can copy from the document - paste to a Word document.

The following was copy - pasted from the Kingsport Manual:
1. One-Piece, Seamless Rubber Roof with 12 Year Warranty
2. Strong Wood Roof Decking, Glued and Screwed
3. Thick Blanket of Fiberglass Insulation
4. 4-1/4? Residential Style Bowed Roof Truss System

You may need to upgrade (free) to a newer version of Adobe Acrobat. I'm using version 7.0 There is a select tool on the bar near the top called the "select tool" (the Letter "I" & a right faciing arrowhead). Click to activate, then highlight the text &/or picture you want for your checklist, click ctrl-insert keys. Go to your Word document & shift-insert keys to paste.

PDFs are not the handiest format to deal with, but with them, companies are willing to post their huge catalogs & documents

Let us know how you make out. The checklists are a great idea & likely worth the effort.
I personally like the PDF format because you can save the entire file to your hard drive by clicking the "Save A Copy" at the top of the menu.

I have many of the manuals for different components saved to my hard drive and this allows me to print a page or the whole manual if I perfer.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
rjf7g

The PDF I downloaded was locked and requires a password to copy and paste. I do have the full Acrobat on my PC and couldn't get passed the encryption. I was able to use the default PDF viewer on my Mac to do it, though! I ended up finding it to be not very useful any way! Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
RJ82much

hmmm, I just learned something new. Didn't know they could do that!

Since this is "your" manual, contact someone at Gulf Stream for your ID & password. What good is an online manual when you are stuck 300 miles outside of Timbucktwo?

If you don't get anywhere with the standard service & "Ask" phone numbers, try the main GS phone, tell the receptionist (Ashley?) that you need the password for your manual. She has to connect you to someone.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
rjf7g

Yep, I can open it and print it just fine...oh well, it isn't very helpful any way.

I have never bought a new RV...my first purchase was a 1996 Jayco 1207 in 1998 and then a 1999 Citation 27 K last year. No manual at all with the Jayco and every manual you could imagine with the Citation. I found the owner's manual to be useless with it and the manufacturer's manuals to be somewhat useful. Seems like that just might be the standard.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #10

DELETED