Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
NewEnglandah

Default New Kid from Massachusetts

Hi, all...

Thank you for having a look at my first post since joining the Gulf Stream Owners Forum. Technically, I am not an owner - yet.

With retirement approaching, my significant other and I are making tentative plans to buy a small travel trailer around the spring to summer timeframe. We'd be using it to see more of the country, visit children (and my first grandchild) who live out of state, and possibly do some snow-birding to escape the New England winter for a couple of months each year.

Some friends of ours own a small travel trailer (an R-Pod, which is another line we have looked at) and love not only the freedom, but the community. We have done plenty of our own research, too, and after doing walk-throughs at four RV dealerships and watching plenty of helpful YouTube videos, we feel one of the Vintage or Vista Cruiser 19s may be a good way to go for us.

We've settled on a 2020 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum AWD (towing capacity of 6,000 pounds) as a tow vehicle, largely because we would prefer a medium sized SUV to a pickup, and believe that it should easily handle a trailer with a dry weight of ~3,500 pounds plus cargo, with an ample margin for safety.

Does anyone else here tow a Vintage or Vista Cruiser 19 with a Pathfinder? What have your experiences been? Thank you ahead of time for whatever thoughts you may offer up.

...NewEnglandah
NewEnglandah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
elmerfud

Default Towing 19 Vintage Cruiser

Newbie,
I own a 2012 Visa. Now named Vista Cruiser. Tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The shorter wheel base Suv's are not the ideal tow vehicles. I put a Curt sway control on my trailer.
https://www.curtmfg.com/weight-distribution/sway-control
It really helps. Stops the big rigs from sucking you in while passing and crosswinds from changing your lane.
Regarding the weight of the camper. It will weigh WAY more than the dry weight when loaded and wet. They underestimate the GVW numbers. Take that into your decision.
I believe all new models come lifted. If the Vintage isn't, have the dealer lift it. Mandatory! You will then need to carry a step stool to safely get in.
The 19's are very nimble. Not too tall or wide so you can get into places the big rigs can't.
Enjoy the RV experience!
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
canyan

Default Towing 19 vintage cruiser

I had a 19 MBS Vintage Cruiser 2018 I towed with my Volkswagen Touareg TDI with a 7500 tow capacity I didn’t have any problems towing now I tow a 23 vintage cruiser same no problems.The only concern with the Pathfinder is the transmission not sure but I believe they use the CVT transmission now years ago I towed a pop up trailer around 2,000 Ibs with the cvt transmission and found on hills it didn’t seem to know what gear to use saying that there is no gears in the transmission.It seemed to struggle on large incline when we toured the east coast of Canada.Just my my observation check on Pathfinder forums.A good site for towing tips is Can Am Rv in London Ontario they have many types of vehicles they use for towing and hitch setups.Good Luck and enjoy.
canyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
canyan

Default Newbie

Hi I was wondering what they mean when they say have it lifted not sure 🤔 is it something I need to do?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
elmerfud

Default Lift

All earlier models were "low riders". The factory has a 3" lift kit. They put it on my 2012. A lot of non-slide models may be too low to avoid damage when going over humps or ditches. You can tell if its lifted when you look at it. The stab jack and the rear jacks are at risk.
Check other threads.
Still a nice camper.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
canyan

Default Lift

Hi thanks for that I was not sure if I was missing something.My trailer is a 2021 model year.I have plenty of clearance I have seen a model like yours and I remember talking to the owner about his unit because I thought it was very low compared to ours he said he just had to be careful but said it towed very well.Hopefully we will be able to get out and enjoy camping this year fingers crossed. Enjoy