Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Searay

Default GS slide leak

I have a 2003 GS 8353 that is leaking water on the right side of the bed. I have had it at the dealership 4 times trying to locate the water leak. It does not matter if the slide is open or closed I still get the same leak... carpet gets wet next to the double sinks and water pools on the Floor. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Searay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
Swiss Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay View Post
I have a 2003 GS 8353 that is leaking water on the right side of the bed. I have had it at the dealership 4 times trying to locate the water leak. It does not matter if the slide is open or closed I still get the same leak... carpet gets wet next to the double sinks and water pools on the Floor. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Die you checked the window? Usually if the slide open and close and you have water, it is the window frame which is not sealed anymore.
Swiss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
RayHarkness

Default leak

I did a bit of work around, put the slide out, then got some rubber stripping, glued and sealed in place with silicone. Right in the back, so it would be touching that rubber gasket over the top. In essence build a dam up there. worked pretty well, but still to some coming in. I got creative...farmer fix here. When we camped and slide was out, I would ever so slightly tilt the coach, to that side.....heheheheh....the water wouldn't run up in, but out to the end of the slide.

Not sure why its leaking when closed though......leaks are tough
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
RayHarkness

Default leak........

oh...that was a good idea somebody else posted. THE WINDOW..I found most of my windows need to be resealed. Get up there, clean the edges then put some silicone calk all around the frame, bet you will see its open ever so slightly.....

I am doing all of them, they just seem to have an ever so slight gap, with not sealant in them........on this topic, I found rust forming on frame, top of my basement doors. I cleaned the rust out, checked THOSE seals, still getting water someplace. I found the water was coming in around the Furnace vents, there is a panel there, I sealed all around those vents nicely......GONE...

R
Old 02-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
bmojmhs

I have a 05 gasser with a leaky bedroom slide out. I'm currently in the Pacific Northwest, where it's wet and cold. We get the odd day of dry sunny weather, but it's few and far between. The water was coming in, on the right side, under the slide floor, dripping on to the floor, and pooling in the corner. I didn't't know if it was 1 leak or 2. I bought some weather proof tape and taped every joint on the box. Still leaked. I bough some Gorilla weather proof tape and taped over the roof joint sealants across the back and up the right side of the roof (thinking 1 of the leaks maybe coming from there). Still leaked. Last week I went to what was once the "Dollar Store" and bought a shower curtain liner. I put it across the roof of the box and my leak has stopped. Water pools on the liner but no leak.

I have to replace the slide topper awning.When I take it off I will coat the EPDM roof material with a rubber coating, Plas-T-Coat or something similar. It will be late March, or April before the weather will be good enough to do the work.

A leaky roof was a new one for me, so don't overlook it if you have a leak.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
RayHarkness

Default Leaky Roof

Well, talk to many rv people, and those roof leaks are PESKY..the water can travel, so its often hard to find the exact spot.

Sounds like you found the temporary solution til good weather. Probably looks like our homes in Florida after hurricane hits.. Blue Roof tarps everywhere!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

A PINLESS MOISTURE METER ($30-$60 Lowes/ HD) can be a big asset in locating leak. start by outlining wet vs dry, then (sometimes) wetter vs dryer helps POINT to leak source. LUCK
Old 02-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
RayChez1

I agree with RayHarkness that a water leak is hard to pin point where it is coming from. Small hole could be in the front between the front cap and the top cover and it can travel through between the roof and the ceiling and come out in the rear of the coach. It is like electricity come out where there is less resistance. Best way is to get a big blower and pressurize the inside, soap all of the outside and see where it bubbles up. I never have actually seen it done, but I have read that it works and it makes sense.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #9
Gingersdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay View Post
I chased a leak for months. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to caulk the right spot, I tapped every seam in the area of the leak with painters tape and waited for the rain. Only after I was no longer leaking with the painters tape up there, I started caulking. I took my time with Through The Roof caulk from Lowe’s. I would remove the tape, remove ALL the old caulk, and cleaned it really well with alcohol. I then tapped off each sides of the seam leaving only the area to be caulked exposed. I then pushed the caulk in the seam as much as I could, followed by a bead of caulk on, and smooth it out. Do small areas at a time. Then remove the tape. I'm the worlds worse caulker. I could never get it to look good. This way I could take my time and do it well. It came out well in all but a few spots. Go on YouTube and look at how a pro caulks his RVs. That helped. Best of luck to you!!!!
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote