Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-02-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
PaddlePAT

Default TV Antenna...is it even hooked up?

I've never had much luck with the rooftop TV antenna on my 2021 19RBS. And yes, I've pushed the button for the antenna.

How can I tell if it's even hooked up? And what can I do to get better reception?

Thanks!
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
RY469

The "button" is a power inserter for the amplifier. If you disconnect the coax (may need to pull the panel with the button to do so). you can then use a multimeter to make sure the center conductor and outer braiding are not shorted out. You can also pull the antenna lose from the roof, and verify integrity of the coax with a multimeter. Would be a good opportunity to install a nice new antenna, like a Winegard omnidirectional Air 360+ antenna with HDTV & Internet or something.

All that said, I've seen shorted coax (little stray wire in F-connector), wires not connected properly - the "little button" plate has three connections that need to have correct coax connected in the correct place and of course bad amps in the antenna itself.

Pulling the antenna lose from the roof may seem extreme, but it will give you opportunity to do proper troubleshooting. NOTE: Use DICOR self leveling sealer when antenna is reinstalled (has picture of a bald guy on the tube).

OK, I've rambled enough, gonna go get another cup of coffee . . . Hope this helps a little.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
Bill Nicholson

I assume you are scanning your TV for channels. You need to do that every time you change locations.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #4
muleman

Both people above are giving you good advice., Then your location can be a problem also if to far away from tv towers are you are down in valleys behind mountains blocking tower it can cause a problem also.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote