Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-23-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
Markj

Default 5th wheel height

I have a 2002 gulfstream prairie schooner 5th wheel 36fqs and I need to know the height at tallest point for clearance of a carport
Markj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Use a measuring tape and measure it. That is what I always did with the 5th wheels I owned. Also don't forget to include the AC unit if it is mounted on the highest part of roof.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
Markj

The 5th wheel is 9 hrs away, can't measure it but need height to design a carport
Old 09-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
Chuck v

It will not be taller than the highway recommended limits... 13 feet, 6 inches is a good number. You will note that most "full sized" RV doors on motorhome bays are nominally 14 feet, so that is a good minimum ceiling height for any bay. The ceiling in my RV bay at home is about 15 feet or a little more, so the door frame is the limiting dimension.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
Markj

Thanks but I don't want a carport to much higher then the 5th wheel or it will not protect as well especially from snow in Minnesota
Old 09-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
Chuck v

Let us know what you mean by "much higher"...

The published height of a 36 ft Prairie Schooner 5th wheel for 2006 through 2009 is 149 inches (about 12.5 feet) so it is likely your earlier model is similar.

You want to clear the vehicle height by at least 6 inches with the lowest part of your enclosure roof, so the earlier suggestion of 13 to 13.5 feet is not at all unreasonable. And don't forget you need to jack up the 5'er some amount to get the unit unhitched from the tow vehicle...

Is this "carport" type structure being built over a concrete slab, or will you be using gravel or similar to make a pad? Refreshing the gravel over the years can subtract a few inches to the clearance so take that into account. A small side wall of a single horizontal sheet of corrugated near the roof will keep blowing snow at a minimum, and many RV port structures have this as a standard feature...

Hope you find this helpful.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5th wheel enclosure.jpg (200.5 KB, 0 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Markj

Thanks that is what I have found just not sure about 2002. Built on ground/gravel just have to clear gable front, inside height will not be an issue