Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-30-2023, 08:35 PM   #1
LonnieOfTheRockies

Default Newbie here with a generator issue

Hey all,

I've got a 2003 Sun Voyager with an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 generator. The engine has some issues that I'm working through (rough idle, loping), but this one kicks my butt.

When I run the generator, and then switch over to battery power, both batteries will be nearly dead within 6-7 hours. Both batteries have been checked and are very nearly new (less than 6 months on them). I've pulled the carburetor off and cleaned it thoroughly, which took care of the original loping like a champ! Now it's starting to lope again (I noticed a small leak around the fuel filter, so I'm thinking that that could be part of that problem), but when I try to run the microwave the lights in the microwave get all dim and it sounds like it is struggling terribly.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, I almost forgot. I live up in the mountains at 9600 feet, that may or may not be part of the problem.

Lonnie of the Rockies
LonnieOfTheRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:22 PM   #2
wscc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnieOfTheRockies View Post
Hey all,

I've got a 2003 Sun Voyager with an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 generator. The engine has some issues that I'm working through (rough idle, loping), but this one kicks my butt.

When I run the generator, and then switch over to battery power, both batteries will be nearly dead within 6-7 hours. Both batteries have been checked and are very nearly new (less than 6 months on them). I've pulled the carburetor off and cleaned it thoroughly, which took care of the original loping like a champ! Now it's starting to lope again (I noticed a small leak around the fuel filter, so I'm thinking that that could be part of that problem), but when I try to run the microwave the lights in the microwave get all dim and it sounds like it is struggling terribly.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, I almost forgot. I live up in the mountains at 9600 feet, that may or may not be part of the problem.

Lonnie of the Rockies
Lonnie, if you are handy with a multi-meter you can check the batteries before and after you start the generator. You'll then know if it's charging the batteries. That's assuming the generator is set up to charge the batteries.

That aside, how long you get on fully charged batteries depends on what you're using during the 6 to 7 hours.
wscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:09 PM   #3
LonnieOfTheRockies

The only thing that is running during the night is the furnace fan and a few lights. I've converted all of the lights over to LED's, to the few "night lights" shouldn't be much of a draw.

I'll check the batteries again in the morning to see what state their in.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:35 PM   #4
wscc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnieOfTheRockies View Post
The only thing that is running during the night is the furnace fan and a few lights. I've converted all of the lights over to LED's, to the few "night lights" shouldn't be much of a draw.

I'll check the batteries again in the morning to see what state their in.
If you're just running off 2 starting batteries or 2 deep cycle golf cart type batteries they can draw down from a propane furnace fan over the course of 7 to 8 hours. It all depends on the shape they are in and how often the furnace kicks in.
wscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:58 PM   #5
LonnieOfTheRockies

Just a little background...

During the winter of 2021-2022 the wife, dogs, cat, and I lived in a 21' camper up here in the Colorado Rockies. It was cold, damn cold. We would often go through a 5 gallon tank of Propane per day to stay warm. The furnace ran continuously. This past winter we spent it in our Gulf Stream. Same conditions. Until just recently, the furnace ran and ran. I never once had an issue with the batteries running out of a charge. We have several generators that we use, but when we use the on board Onan 5500 our batteries just don't get a full charge.

I don't know, maybe I just have an electrical issue that goes beyond my understanding (which is very possible). All I do know is that I am growing very tired of that damn Onan 5500.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #6
RY469

Sounds like your generator has poor output. There are brushes on the rotor that historically cause your sort of issue. A good electrician with a good multimeter/oscilloscope would source the problem pretty quick. New brushes, and some TLC would make it purr for you again (my 2-cents anyway).

I assume everything works well on shore power (batteries stay charged, microwave works, etc.)?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote