Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
EarlJunior

Send a message via AIM to EarlJunior Send a message via Yahoo to EarlJunior
Default slide-outs; leave 'em out or in when seasonal?

Am considering upgrading to a TT that has 2 slide-outs, & as this is only my 1st full year as a TT camper (used to be a tent camper), I have absolutely no experience with slide-outs, so I'm asking for knowledge from those more experienced: is it generally considered better to leave 'em out or pull 'em in if the camper is parked at a seasonal spot?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
keithinspace

I have no experience in the matter, but after having seen "seasonal" campers and "regular" campers, I can say there is a difference.

If you look at the roofline of the slides on a dedicated seasonal camper, they are made specifically for the task...they have steep slopes and the water sheds off the roof directly onto the ground.

The roofline of normal non-seasonal trailers are different. They are flatter and normally the "flange" that seals them while in transit block the water and force it to run off the front or back of the slide. None of this mentions the bad things that could happen if a bunch of leaves or pine-needles build up on top of the slide. All of this is helped by a slide awning/topper, though. But those are no more intended to be deployed 100% of the time than the big awning on the door side...the vinyl will eventually start cracking and such.

I don't have a problem having my slide out in a rain while I'm inside it or camping for the weekend. But I would think it considerably more rain-proof if the slide is pulled in when the trailer is not in active use.

My thoughts.
keithinspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
rjf7g

I open my Gulf Stream trailer in late March and close it up in early November. I leave the slides out the entire time. I camp in a campground with mostly seasonal campers and the only time any one pulls in a slide is if they are having issues with it leaking.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:38 AM   #4
CampParardise

When I winterize yearly, last step I do is pull them in, provides the extra protection of any possible leakage.
CampParardise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
RY469

Typically an RV has better water tight integrity with the slides in. If you leave slides out, a slide-out awning helps. Let me also offer that most manufacturers recommend inspection and resealing of ALL seals and seams around every six months. I've seen and fixed lots of water damage, one of the biggest enemies of an RV.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:40 PM   #6
Chuck v

Agree with the use of slide topper awnings! I lived full time in my coach with its three slides for several years and the slides were drawn in only about a day in every three months or so (for moving and other maintenance.) I replaced the fabric on the slide toppers once each, and replaced the slide room seal on the largest slide once in that time. Never had any leaking at any slide during that time, but maintenance is the key to keeping an RV water tight. I inspected the roof and resealed it when needed around the bath skylight, etc.

As noted, water damage is expensive to fix -- so keep it from happening to begin with.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote