Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
lockdoc

Default Back up camera and monitor

Hi all-

I am toying with adding a backup camera to my 5th wheeler and am wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom on this subject? I am hoping that someone here falls into the DIY category and can offer their sage advise. I really think it would be nice to know what is going on behind me while traveling and also for backing into some sites it may save some headaches and repairs. I am a careful individual and really can get by without this but feel that with a big long 5er it would be an advantage to have a backup monitor installed.

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Kevin
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

I haven't never done this, but I have seen some very nice monitors that are mounted on the sun visor that would make a great installation.
The color flat monitors are very clear and give a good field of view.

I think you are very wise in doing this, back when I used to have our 36' 5er, I wish I would have done that. It would have saved a lot of miscommunication between the wife and I.

I'm sure it would not be that hard to do. Hopefully you can get some good advice here. If not try the link below to IRV2 and try there, lots of DIY people and try in the 5er section there.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
gsadmin

I just bought a flip-down 5.5" one for my mom's safari and installed it. prior to that her BU camera came thru the TV above and was hard to use. The one thing I can say about LCD is that you have to get the viewing angle right.

FYI, there are some great deals on ebay where I got her monitor. I only paid $60 for hers and it has the ability to flip the video for TV or for mirror image purposes.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Jobuha

LocDoc ,

I installed a rear view camera in my old Montana 5ther. very easy to install. the hardest part was the initial drilling of the hole to run the cable down to the chassis. Once I got over the fact of drilling into the fiberglass it was a breeze. I ran the cable along the Chassis up to the pin box.

From the Chevy 2500HD I ran the cable out of the fire wall and down the Chassis into the bed of the truck.

I bought my color rear view camera with audio from rvcams.com. it was less than 400.00. What a great investment.
Jobuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
PopPopK

Lockdoc, I purchased a back up system for my 2019 GS Innsbruck TT. the running light in the middle of the rear had pre wired for a camera. It had the hot wire, when you have the lights on (need to power the camera) and the ground. My cameras are both wireless along with the monitor. I have one camera on the back of my 2015 Ford 150. The system is color, 2 color cameras, 1 color 7 inch monitor. Paid less than $100 for it on Amazon, no issues, clear color also has night vision for those late back in times. It's a real $$ saver when backing.
Good Luck
Pop Pop K
PopPopK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Sudsy

Default Go Wireless

Go Wireless
I replaced my system this year with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wirel...KYJJM5CJGX43PF

I ordered an extra camera that I mounted on the ladder that looks to the left at the fuel fill so I can get my position right when pulling up to the gas pumps. This camera i powered by tapping into the right tail light (parking light) so I need to turn on the parking lights to power it up. This works great.

The normal camera is powered with the original 12Vdc. I just found the power with a meter. I just cut the video wire and use the wireless cam.

The dash unit fits nicely with a 1/2 inch of foam and Velcro. The monitor antenna is a little tricky. I drilled a hole once I was sure it was working and it sticks through the dash panel behind the monitor.

Sudsy