Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Ed D

Default Motorhome's will be like owning a classic car soon

Just like the way of classic cars we are entering a new era in owning a motor home. With an economy that looks like it will be years ,( if ever) we see growth again like the past 20 years where average middle class people can afford luxury items like motor home RVs again. Up till 2007..... People had money, homes or retirements accounts to invest and could save to be able to afford RVs like they have developed over this time period. I don't see many people soon to retire who can afford to go out and take the chance of using their retirement money to buy like they could in the past, nobody knows how grim the future will be so they hold on to it. Unless you are lucky enough to have a successful business and some have worked hard to have that grace on their side. I applaud that 1 % who can afford things still, it did not come easy. I wish politicians would praise their success as example instead of making them to be the bad guys for being successful........Anyway

This economy has forced many manufactures to either go out of business or drop complete lines and go away forever. In fact it looks like in the next few years their may only be a handful left manufacturing motor homes and with that the costs will be out of reach for many. Gulf Stream was smart and did what they did to try to remain in business by down sizing. I hope they can stay a float for many years to come and adjust product lines buy building trailers only now to meet the needs at affordable pricing. I think it was a smart decision to open up the gulfstreamers club free to all owners past and present, it builds a foundation and people like brand association. As more go to rallies or get involved with chats on the site it will build a stronger customer base.

My point is this , owning one of the motor homes from this past era and taking pride in maintaining it by keeping it like new, then being able to attend rally's like the Gulf Steamers to show it off to others brings a great deal of pride. Not only to the owner, but to the company who built it and others who can appreciate the coach and who built that coach.

So being part of a club like Gulf Streamers and owning a 2004 Bt Cruiser 5270 like myself is owning a piece of history from what seems to be a soon to be past great era in RV manufacturing. Just like a classic car like a 65 Mustang, a mint condition .......... C class...... B plus class or A class will be something to see from this era as well to Rvers.

Now that Gulf Stream has stopped manufacturing motor homes of all types as well as a lot of coach companies gone leaving those of us who own them to try to preserve them is a unique situation.
I myself am lucky enough to own and have a garage kept 2004 in mint condition with only 25,000 miles on her. It is a great challenge to keep it that way, but has always been a hobby to me keeping all my trucks that way for many years. To now own a piece of Gulf Stream RV history is like owning a classic car to me. Keeping it from deteriorating, plus use it as I would makes it even better. Being able to store it in a garage makes the job easier.
I also have a great pride in keeping it like new for years to come to share and pass it on as a classic Rv from a era past. So take care of them if you own one.
I always wanted to own a classic car and go to rallies with it like others, I never thought my dream of owning and maintaining a nice motor home could have the same benefit like owning a classic ca...........r but think about it, it now does!!!!!!!

The fact that the development of fiberglass units, aluminum frames on most motor homes the past 12 year, and with fiberglass roofs means they will hold up and not rust like old classic cars. But you still need to paint and remove any rust that forms under chassis and compound and wax fiberglass finish and roofs to keep elements from getting to it. Keep the inside fresh and clean and even upgrade flooring and anything that gets worn. The web you can find almost any part. Original Decals are hard to replace so keeping it out of the sun will keep decals from cracking or fading, they can last forever with proper waxing. McGuire's makes a great compound, polish and wax product for restoring any fiberglass finish, having a high speed polishing wheel makes the job easier. To get parts from Ford for the V10 and E450 cab and chassis will be easily around for decades. If unit is stored outside a good cover will surely help keep off the sun and weather better then no cover.

As years pass on, people pass on these motor homes will become rarer, plus the fact they are not being sold like they were means less on the road.
So the rallies will be a special place to see those classic Rvs, owning one maintained in new looking condition will make the rallies or being parked at a campground a great sense of pride to own one! See you on the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed D
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Motorhome's will be like owning a classic car soon

Good article ED. We plan to keep our Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser for a long time. It has been a great coach for the first ten years. So maybe we will have a classic one of these days. LOL
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
yrraleel

I really think my 2002 29' conquest class c GS is junk leaks rot delamination they should have stop building them sooner.
just being honest.. Larry
yrraleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrraleel
I really think my 2002 29' conquest class c GS is junk leaks rot delamination they should have stop building them sooner.
just being honest.. Larry
Sounds like a lack of maintenance. Did you buy it used?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
yrraleel

used its had maintence lots of it cheap material and poor design, if you check online class c has lots of problems
not just the gs but all brands IT IS COLD IN TEXAS AND THIS GULFSTREAM IS NOT WARM
yrraleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrraleel
used its had maintence lots of it cheap material and poor design, if you check online class c has lots of problems
not just the gs but all brands IT IS COLD IN TEXAS AND THIS GULFSTREAM IS NOT WARM
Yes, it's a shame what they charge for these units and the quality is often lacking. Was 11 below in Wisconsin this morning, I can't wait for Spring!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #7
Marvin.Bell

Default What is your source of supply for parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
Just like the way of classic cars we are entering a new era in owning a motor home. With an economy that looks like it will be years ,( if ever) we see growth again like the past 20 years where average middle class people can afford luxury items like motor home RVs again. Up till 2007..... People had money, homes or retirements accounts to invest and could save to be able to afford RVs like they have developed over this time period. I don't see many people soon to retire who can afford to go out and take the chance of using their retirement money to buy like they could in the past, nobody knows how grim the future will be so they hold on to it. Unless you are lucky enough to have a successful business and some have worked hard to have that grace on their side. I applaud that 1 % who can afford things still, it did not come easy. I wish politicians would praise their success as example instead of making them to be the bad guys for being successful........Anyway

This economy has forced many manufactures to either go out of business or drop complete lines and go away forever. In fact it looks like in the next few years their may only be a handful left manufacturing motor homes and with that the costs will be out of reach for many. Gulf Stream was smart and did what they did to try to remain in business by down sizing. I hope they can stay a float for many years to come and adjust product lines buy building trailers only now to meet the needs at affordable pricing. I think it was a smart decision to open up the gulfstreamers club free to all owners past and present, it builds a foundation and people like brand association. As more go to rallies or get involved with chats on the site it will build a stronger customer base.

My point is this , owning one of the motor homes from this past era and taking pride in maintaining it by keeping it like new, then being able to attend rally's like the Gulf Steamers to show it off to others brings a great deal of pride. Not only to the owner, but to the company who built it and others who can appreciate the coach and who built that coach.

So being part of a club like Gulf Streamers and owning a 2004 Bt Cruiser 5270 like myself is owning a piece of history from what seems to be a soon to be past great era in RV manufacturing. Just like a classic car like a 65 Mustang, a mint condition .......... C class...... B plus class or A class will be something to see from this era as well to Rvers.

Now that Gulf Stream has stopped manufacturing motor homes of all types as well as a lot of coach companies gone leaving those of us who own them to try to preserve them is a unique situation.
I myself am lucky enough to own and have a garage kept 2004 in mint condition with only 25,000 miles on her. It is a great challenge to keep it that way, but has always been a hobby to me keeping all my trucks that way for many years. To now own a piece of Gulf Stream RV history is like owning a classic car to me. Keeping it from deteriorating, plus use it as I would makes it even better. Being able to store it in a garage makes the job easier.
I also have a great pride in keeping it like new for years to come to share and pass it on as a classic Rv from a era past. So take care of them if you own one.
I always wanted to own a classic car and go to rallies with it like others, I never thought my dream of owning and maintaining a nice motor home could have the same benefit like owning a classic ca...........r but think about it, it now does!!!!!!!

The fact that the development of fiberglass units, aluminum frames on most motor homes the past 12 year, and with fiberglass roofs means they will hold up and not rust like old classic cars. But you still need to paint and remove any rust that forms under chassis and compound and wax fiberglass finish and roofs to keep elements from getting to it. Keep the inside fresh and clean and even upgrade flooring and anything that gets worn. The web you can find almost any part. Original Decals are hard to replace so keeping it out of the sun will keep decals from cracking or fading, they can last forever with proper waxing. McGuire's makes a great compound, polish and wax product for restoring any fiberglass finish, having a high speed polishing wheel makes the job easier. To get parts from Ford for the V10 and E450 cab and chassis will be easily around for decades. If unit is stored outside a good cover will surely help keep off the sun and weather better then no cover.

As years pass on, people pass on these motor homes will become rarer, plus the fact they are not being sold like they were means less on the road.
So the rallies will be a special place to see those classic Rvs, owning one maintained in new looking condition will make the rallies or being parked at a campground a great sense of pride to own one! See you on the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed D
We own a 2003 Scenic Cruiser. Second year of ownership. it is in good shape - would like to keep an improve. please help - thank you.
Marvin.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
Marvin.Bell

Default What is your source of supply for parts?

Marvin Belton Texas.

Proud owners of a 2003 GS Scenic Cruiser. Discovered that coach is no longer in production.

What is your source of supply for parts for this soon becoming vintage coach?

Please help and thanks. My email is: [email protected]
Marvin.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
bbaluski

Default Meet up in NC

Felt like a rally. Spent the weekend at Carolina Beach in NC I was one of three BT Cruisers and one Gulf Stream Trailer. 2003, 2004, 2007. It was a beautiful weekend.
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote