Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #1
mongo

Default Hello

Hello, I just bought a 92 29' gulfstream conquest, it only has 29,000 miles everything works ,generator,frige, heater ,a/c etc. I just changed the oil next I will change the trany fluid and filter and drain the torque converter. I will be using this rig to tow my 18' Lund boat up to Alaska from northern Nevada next spring when I retire. I plan to go through/ replace all hoses , drive belts, grease bearings, check breaks. I was going to buy a much newer rig but could not pass this one up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
RY469

Never hurts to have a professional look it over. Could be money well spent. Of course I'd personally prefer both an RV dealership AND a shop specializing in truck chassis to look it over. Seemingly obscure things like date codes on your tires, etc... could/should be checked.

Things like going over the entire unit for water tight integrity is something you can do . . . DICOR for the roof, DOW 900 (series) for the sides.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

With this engine age, PLAN ON NEW WATER PUMP, BELT/S AND IDLERS/ TENSIONERS, NEW THERMOSTAT AND ANTIFREEZE. All easy once you get it all apart with things out of the way. Also much easier in PM in shop vs roadside breakdown. Pay attention to wheel bearings/ brakes, but crawl under and check/ verify FRAME/RUST/ STRUCTURE BEFORE SPENDING $$. Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #4
Mike1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Hello, I just bought a 92 29' gulfstream conquest, it only has 29,000 miles everything works ,generator,frige, heater ,a/c etc. I just changed the oil next I will change the trany fluid and filter and drain the torque converter. I will be using this rig to tow my 18' Lund boat up to Alaska from northern Nevada next spring when I retire. I plan to go through/ replace all hoses , drive belts, grease bearings, check breaks. I was going to buy a much newer rig but could not pass this one up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I would go as far as buying a rebuild alternator to carry wit you. Make sure you hav a small automotive battery charger, hopefully your generator is on a separate battery bank. If so you can in a pinch you can start your generator and charge engine batteries.
I had that happen to me in Texas. The spare generator I had was wrong. Date codes on the tires is very important. Look up DOT tire codes on line.. anything more than 6 years old should be replaced, especially if your rig came from Arizona. Ups on water pump and all hoses, thermostat too! You may want to flus the cooling system as well.
Know where your fuel pump is! And look up on line to see if anyone has had issues with them.
I’m speaking from my experiences.
Mike Root
Tulalip Washington
35 Miles Northwest of
Seattle
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
mongo

Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning on replacing all belts, hoses, flushing the coolant, packing the wheel bearings. That is a good idea to replace the water pump and alternator while I have it pulled apart. nothing worse than a breakdown on the al/can highway.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:52 PM   #6
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
With this engine age, PLAN ON NEW WATER PUMP, BELT/S AND IDLERS/ TENSIONERS, NEW THERMOSTAT AND ANTIFREEZE. All easy once you get it all apart with things out of the way. Also much easier in PM in shop vs roadside breakdown. Pay attention to wheel bearings/ brakes, but crawl under and check/ verify FRAME/RUST/ STRUCTURE BEFORE SPENDING $$. Good Luck.
FORGOT TO MENTION, WHEN I TORE INTO MINE DIY BEFORE TRIP, DUE TO ENGINE SQUEAL, it was the water pump, and you can see nothing until apart, so I also replaced FAN CLUTCH, AND ALTERNATOR.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:08 PM   #7
mongo

Thanks, it looks like the water pumps on the old 460 motors are a pain.