Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-25-2023, 12:53 AM   #1
wchoe

Default Leaking Hot Water Tank

I have a leak in the hot water tank on a 2008 Gulfstream Mini Vista Cruiser on a 3500 Dodge Sprinter chassis. The hot water heater is a Suburban SW6D, and the leak is on the 6 gallon tank under the RV, on the corroded metal strip at the bottom. (see photos)
There are no leaks inside the RV near the water-pump, nor at the pressure-release valve or anode-rod valve of the hot water heater.

Does anyone know whether the leak can be sealed at the 6 gallon tank, or does it need to be replaced?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230422_163616.jpg (186.1 KB, 11 views)
wchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
RY469

The tank is aluminum, and typically leak due due rupture caused by expanding ice inside (improper winterization). In theory you could pound the crack back together and TIG weld it, in (real) practice you are buying a new hot water heater. Maybe consider an on-demand, just be sensitive to the size of the unit. New replacements are smaller, and come with an adapter. There are on-demands out there that fit perfectly.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:52 PM   #3
wchoe

I don't think it is a rupture due to ice as the RV has not been in below freezing conditions. It may be due to corrosion as the water-heater hasn't been flushed properly. I did take out the anode-rod a year ago and it looked good.

Will have to take out the water-heater and inspect for the leak. Hopefully, I can get access to disconnect the electric, propane, water hoses.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #4
wchoe

Wanted to provide an update on the issue.

I found a hidden outside panel to the wet-bay with the bypass switch, and could see the back of the water-heater. The leak is coming from the cold-water Pex pipe to the water-heater. Will need to take it out to fix the pipe.