Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class C
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2023, 12:40 PM   #1
Vinnie

Default International Chassis - Generator Fuel

On those coaches with the International chassis (4200 etc.) does anyone know how the system knows the fuel is too low to run the genset? Is it strictly a fixed tube that stops drawing fuel when it gets below a certain level or is it signaled off the fuel float. Also, my understanding is that the genset fuel comes out of the passenger side tank only, is this correct?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 05:17 AM   #2
Darbgnik

I think it's determined by draw straw depth. Mine seems to want 3/8 of a tank, not 1/4, to run.....

I also thought it was the passenger side tank, but am not sure. The engine draws from there.
Darbgnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 09:33 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

The SUCTION TUBE in fuel tank for GEN is shorter than pump line for main engine, and does not goto the bottom of the fuel tank. Many/ most are metal, I think, but have seen pics of some pulled that appear to have a tubing extension? re: =Ford, International may vary?
Old 07-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #4
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbgnik View Post
I think it's determined by draw straw depth. Mine seems to want 3/8 of a tank, not 1/4, to run.....

I also thought it was the passenger side tank, but am not sure. The engine draws from there.

Thanks. Mine will sometimes shut down with more than 1/2 a tank showing on the gauge. It's frustrating because it defeats the driving range available with both fuel tanks.
Old 07-02-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
The SUCTION TUBE in fuel tank for GEN is shorter than pump line for main engine, and does not goto the bottom of the fuel tank. Many/ most are metal, I think, but have seen pics of some pulled that appear to have a tubing extension? re: =Ford, International may vary?
Suction tube - that's the term I was looking for! I may hav to pull mine to see about extending it.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
Tuner

The fuel pickup is on the drivers side for the genset. That same side sends fuel to the passenger side where the main fuel line goes to the engine, and this tank has the fuel gauge sender. The driver side fuel pickup for the genset has a tube that sticks up to about 1/4 tank level. Any level below that and the genset runs out of fuel with no indication of tank level, found out the hard way! They never want the engine tank to run out of fuel thats why the pickup is in the opposite tank.
Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote