Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
bhplumber

Default 08 SN 6372 Possible purchase

We are considering buying a 2008 SN 6372. It has all the options we like, OH bunk, big fridge, and aluminum wheels are a few things we wanted. The coach was bought new in Maryland, changed hands a few times, had some "minor damage" to the rear (backed into something) and was eventually bought at an auction by Lazy Days. It is 100% fixed with now sign of the damage. This coach looks very nice in pictures. I know pictures can be deceiving but I did get them down considerably on the price. I am about 2000 miles away so I'm a little bit nervous about buying a plane ticket and being disappointed when I get there. I am only willing to put a small refundable deposit on the coach before seeing it in person.

My Concerns are:
I'm not a fan of the Ford 6.0 which is somewhat a version of this engine. I know Ford turned it up beyond it original design but I'm curious how it will pull a 36 foot coach loaded down without being "turned up" I HATE being under powered

Does the Allison 2500 make that much difference over the 1000 the GM chassis would have. I'm more of a Duramax fan then a 6.0 fan.

Being a Duramax fan should I save 20K and buy a Kodiak based Seneca or GS and upgrade the suspension? (which most IH SN owners have done as well)

Our budget all in with taxes, license, etc is 85K

The underside of this coach has been recently undercoated, What are they trying to hide?

I am in the process of running the vin with a local international dealer to check for service records, recalls, brake control update, etc.

Any guidance or info on this coach or GS's in general will be greatly appreciated.

FYI we have owned a pop up, TT, Toy hauler, Class C f450, and just sold a 37' DP, so we are not new to RV's and are full aware that no unit will be without it flaws and will always need something. We have finally came to the conclusion that a Super C is going to be the best fit for us. We need a fair amount of room with sleeping for 2 adults and 2 kids without tearing down the table every day and the diesel is a must for towing a rock crawler that's about 6K.

Thanks
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
BadX

Default Re: 08 SN 6372 Possible purchase

No worries about the 6.0 it is different from what is in the F250 and F350's. We purchased our SN from Lazy Days 2 years ago. Lazy Days will deal so work it, they will come down on the price to get the sale especially if they fly you down there. We went down to look at a Class A pusher but the wife didn't like the interior colors and that ended that. Our salesman was Jason Brunner and he was top notch, loaned us his toad to drive around while we were there, picked us up at the airport and took us back to the airport then picked us up again on his day off when we took delivery of the motorhome. The wife and I love ours but it has been a learning experience since this is our first motorhome. The main thing I would HIGHLY recommend is finding out if the brake controller has been replaced and find out when it was replaced. If you have done any research on the SN's is brake controller issues. We left Lazy Days and went to Key West and spent several days. On the way home the dash alarm went off, the low brake pressure light came on, the ABS brake light came on and the main brake light came on. It was a bit unnerving not knowing if the brakes were going to fail at any minute so we ended up spending several hours on the side of the road waiting for road side assistance then decided to try to roll on and ended up at a small truck repair center and the guy ran diagnostics and couldn't find any codes. While stopped I googled SN Brake lights and BOOM!..there were countless stories of the same experiences we were having and everybody said brake controller had to be replaced. We did buy the extended warranty and that was a nightmare getting it fixed correctly and it took 6-7 months and several hundred dollars out of my pocket because the warranty people kept saying it wasn't the brake controller...a major PIA but we finally got it fixed and no issues since.

I pull a 28 ft enclosed hauler with a 3800 pound show truck and the SN tows great but with that being said I would recommend replacing the hitch bolts. On the way to Daytona last year going down 95 the hitch came off, sheered every bolt except one.(was towing our older 24' enclosed steel frame hauler with the same truck) Got it bolted back up but the the road side assistance guy brought grade 5 bolts so it was a pucker fest the rest of the way down but the first full day I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and torqued them down to the correct specifications. After talking with a buddy we came to the conclusion that the hitch was installed improperly and the bolts were over torqued, probably with a impact wrench and were stretched. No problems since replacing them with the grade 8s.

Check the date on the tires, same Daytona trip but on the way home we had one blow out and it ended up being the tires were very close to their change dates, 6 months out so I'd make sure you have good tires.

The SN's are nice motorhomes, I am still worried about the brake controller because I have read of people replacing them then 2-3 years later they go out again. This isn't a Gulfstream issue but a International issue that they claim they haven't heard of but its well documented and the same year and model of frames that were used for School busses had a recall on the controller but only school busses.

The factory LCD tv's suck so I replaced them with 32" LED TV's which are much better and were extremely easy to mount in the old tvs locations.

Good luck with your decision, when they are rolling they are great but when something goes awry they can be a pain in the butt.

On the side of the interstate with hauler in tow
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
bhplumber

Thanks Badx, Very nice rig. I wish I could find a 6331 with that paint for sale. Don't get me wrong the 6372 will be great but Id love to shave that 3' off the *ss of it like the 6331. My wife is all over all the storage inside the 6372 vs the 6331 but I think I could sway her if I could find one with that paint and steps.

I have read a lot about the brake control module too. According to International it has not been replaced on this unit. It is going to an International dealer for an issue with the ECM so I am going to hire them independently to do a chassis, motor, tranny, etc inspection. I just want to make sure all systems are 100% for the 2500 mile trip home from Florida. Lazydays did actually pull it in the shop and discovered the ECM issue so that made feel pretty good that they are doing an in-depth inspection rather then just checking the fluids and calling it good to go. Being 2500 miles away and trying to do a deal for this much money is a little nerve racking.

I will check the tires for myself to verify but the salesman said they at 2014's, I forgot the week he told me. Thanks for the heads up on the hitch bolts. I have a rock crawler that weighs about 6K that Ill tow off and on.

What warranty company did you use? I am looking into Wholesale Warranties Co. They want $5700.00 with a $500 deductible for a "major component" warranty for 4 years or 40K miles. Seems a little steep. I am waying just skipping the warranty. I can fix quite a few things for $5700. I guess Ill see if I cave when the final day comes to sign on the dotted line.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
BadX

I believe its American Warranty who's ours is through. It was $7500 and a $100 deductible and first hour of diagnostics so basically our cost is $200 no matter what. I don't know if I would call it luck but everything that has had to be done has bee well over the deductible and first hour of diagnostics.

We just got back from doing a 400 mile round trip and everything went great and worked like it was supposed to. It was crazy cold and we picked up a electric heater to save our LP gas and it worked great keeping us warm at night. We love our SN but even better when a trip goes smooth.
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
bhplumber

So the purchase of the 6372 went south. We had an inspection done and it just wasn't what was advertised. A $400 inspection saved me 80K. Money well spent. We are back in the market for a new to us coach. We are leaning towards a 6331 vs the 6372 just to save a few feet of rear overhang and overall length. I have located one in Texas at PPL but am having a hard time getting someone to return my calls. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or does anyone know of one for sale?

Well the hunt continues!!! Thanks to all that post so we know what to watch out for!!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
SlimTim

Bhplumber - I own a GulfStream Supernova now and prior to my Gulfstream I owned a Super C built on the Kodiak Chassis with the Duramax and Allison transmission. I find the Supernova much better to drive as it does not sway like the Kodiak, is not affected by passing trucks like the Kodiak and is just all around nicer to drive. The one item I liked better on the Kodiak was the exhaust brake as the Supernova does not have a conventional exhaust brake. In regards to power I find the power on the smaller Supernovas to be equal to or better than the Kodiak. Even my 40' 6400 feels like it has better/faster cruising speed and better acceleration. On steep/long hills the Kodiak was a bit better but it was also 6' shorter, had one less bathroom, and carried approx. 75 gal less water.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote