Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
chriscoe88

Default bad inverter won't use shore power on items that use inverter

I have a 2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster 40c with a bad inverter. The board is bad. It will charge the batteries but no outlets work. I looked at the ATS and it is in the down position but I have no outlet power. Disconnected the inverter and it didn't help. I am plugged into 50amp. AC works since it doesn't run through the inverter. How do I get my outlets to work? Why doesn't it by pass the inverter?
chriscoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #2
Chuck v

Chris,

My 2007 T40-C did not have all the outlets and 110 volt loads pass through the inverter...just some of them. The way my coach was configured, the shore power drives all the 110 loads (including the air conditioners...) when it is present. The generator if running then takes on all those loads. This switchover is handled by the primary transfer switch which is under the bed, so it is very adjacent to the shore power cord in the bay below. Some of the loads that can be sourced by the shore power or the generator can also be driven by the inverter (the inverter has its own transfer switch to accomplish this.) I don't recall the exact loads that the inverter can source if there is neither shore power NOR generator power -- but they include the residential refrigerator, the front TV, and I believe the microwave plus some convenience outlets.

Loads that do not get any power from the inverter include the air conditioners, the dryer, the 110 part of the water heater, and quite a few of the driver's side convenient outlets...plus the engine block heater

If you have no 110 volt power from your inverter's secondary transfer switch, perhaps there is failure internal to the inverter or in the smaller breaker panel under the refrigerator. The other breaker panel with the dryer, engine heater, etc. does not go through the inverter secondary transfer switch.

If the primary transfer switch did not work, you would not have air conditioning on shore power or on generator, or perhaps not on either...

Let us know more of what exactly does not get power -- you might make a check list of all the circuits identified on both sets of breakers under the refrigerator.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
chriscoe88

1the outlets don't work, shore power or generator. Ac and we work. Anything that goes through the inverter does not work. Board is bad, but why not work when on shore power? Is there a other switch that I am not aware of?
Old 07-11-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
UAHaerospace

it's still possible that the Inverter's 'pass thru' function will not work if the Inverter is not working, itself. The internal 'bypass switch' is probably not functioning if the 'board is bad'.
The only option, then, is to 'bypass' the inverter, meaning to take the HOT lead from where it leaves the breaker panel to the inverter and go directly then to the sub-panel of the breakers that are not 'working'...

On my Palazzo, Thor used a unique 'integrated' Progressive Main Panel that not only had the typically 50amp double-pole breaker setup, giving 120v power to the two 'sides' of the breaker panel, but the panel also integrated a 'third' power buss bar, which was served by the returning INVERTER power, to give all the coach's OUTLETS their power. Since the output to the Inverter for 'pass thru' power, and Battery Charging, was from a 30amp breaker in the main panel, if I lost the ability for the Inverter to give me 'pass thru' power, I could simply reroute that HOT wire from the 30amp breaker DIRECTLY 12" away to the INPUT breaker of the sub-panel.(probably via a jumper wire)

Your setup may be different, so you'll have to investigate what you'd need to do to get power to your OUTLETS until you can get your Inverter board repaired, replaced, or the whole Inverter replaced.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
chriscoe88

I went through the weekend with two electrical cords running the coach 110. I get a new inverter next week. I just bought this RV and it has been nothing but bs. The breaker would pop if you ran the microwave. I looked at the ATS and could tell so did someone else. It did switch over when I plugged in. I have no clue where the sub panel is, or the secondary ATS if that is something different. The manual is not for problems that is for sure!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Chuck v

Chris,

Pretty sure your 2008 Tour Master T40-C is the same layout as my 2007 model (at least the two brochures indicate they are...) so the 110 volt breaker panels are under the refrigerator, behind two small plastic access doors. The right hand most one is the panel that is downstream from the Inverter, and has all the circuits the pass through tat inverter. The panel immediately to the left of that contains the breakers that serve loads that do NOT go through the inverters, like the air conditioners, the washer and dryer, and some of the convenience outlets on the driver's side of the coach at the desk area, etc.

Again, I strongly recommend that you look closely at the breakers in these panels, make a list of the circuits named, and verify which are working on shore power and which are not. It is very unlikely that ONLY the air conditioners are "live" on shore power -- have you tried at least the washer and dryer?

On my coach, I replaced the original inverter with a true sine wave model from Magnum to give better performance for modern electronics like the replacement 4K TV that I installed...but the original Xantrex was fully functional when I upgraded it.

How do you know your inverter board is bad? The only batteries that the inverter charge are the stack of 4 each 6 volt batteries under the windshield. I ask this because you state this coach is new to you and just want to be sure you are not confusing the inverter with the converter that charges the house batteries and powers all the 12 volt lighting...

Chuck

Old 07-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Assuming relays inside Inverter have bad contacts; have always read that "when 120 sensed, Inverter passes voltage thru". That says Normally Open contacts must close? Now may have LOCKOUT if SHORELINE voltage too low/ too high for your protection?
Old 07-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
Chuck v

chriscoe88,

I looked up the 2008 T40 brochure and excerpted the breaker panel locations shown there. They appear to be on a wall behind a cabinet door (perhaps in the hallway...) Using my 2007 coach as a guide, which has these panels under the refrigerator near the floor, I have annotated the picture to show where the circuits that pass through the inverter have their panel. ONCE MORE -- it is important to realize that not all 110 volt loads in the coach are backed up by the inverter, so not all circuits would be impacted if the inverter were non-operational. Perhaps you can post a higher resolution image of these panels than appears in the brochure so we can discuss individual 110 volt circuits and outlets.

Chuck

Tags
bad inverter, no power in outlets