Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
darbyjudy

Default MH is in the shop

Well I was checking some items for my upcoming trip and found that the last time my left front brake heated up it blew out the rubber plug in the wet hub. I took the MH to Register Chev. and they are going to check the brakes and then call workhorse. I have 16000 miles on this 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager. I have had repeated heat ups on the left front, it would heat up after several traffice lights in a row. I would then have to pull over and set until it cooled off and then it would be OK. Like I said this has been happening for several years. But when I found that the rubber plug was missing and no oil in the hub I thought it was time to see if Workhorse would do something for me. I had rear brake lock up about 6000 miles ago and Workhorse at that time replaced the rear calipers, pads, seals, abs sensors and turned rear rotors. Also they found the left front wheel throwing oil and they repladed the oil seals in the left front wheel. It appears at that time there was also other problems with the left front wheel. So right now I am waiting to hear from Register to see if Workhorse will do the repair under warrenty. I certainly hope so since there is a recall on the horizon on the brakes. Maybe I should have just kept my old 1997 Winebago, didn't have all these problems with it. Certainly makes you wonder if you should buy newer. Since I bought this Gulfstream it has been one thing after the other. Water leaks, AC compressor, drawer slides, and brakes. The rig has only 16000 miles on it, would hate to think what would happen if I used it a lot.
Another thing I was told by the dealer that you cannot buy just the rubber plub for the wet hub, you have to buy the complete assy. That is crazy. I think it would be a good idea to have a couple of the plugs just in case it blows out again.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
David Bott

Hi...

Just a quick question for you if I may...How did you know your brakes where heating up?

Thank you.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
darbyjudy

Default Brakes locking up

David after I lost the brakes from the rear calipers heating up I have been very careful and try to notice everything. When the rear calipers locked up the first thing I noticed was it had no power and would not go into overdrive as the brakes were holding it back. Also after I stopped and opened the door I could smell them.
Now with the left front I noticed that I had a little shimmy when stopping and again the smell. It appeared that this left front one would heat up after stopping at several red lights in a row. So when ever I noticed the shimmy when stopping I would get the temp. gun out and see how hot the rotor was compared to the other three. The last time I had the problem the left front rotor was 500 degrees and the others around 200 degrees, so I knew the left front was sticking. What is strange I could let it set for about 30 min. to cool off then continue on without any problem. One time I was going through Dothan, Al and it happened, I pulled over took the temp and verified that it was the left front, I then let it set for about 30
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
David Bott

Hello...

Thank you kindly for the reply. I was kind of wondering for future reference as it may be good to know the signs.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote