Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
RVJeeper18

Default 2005 Endura 6340 water leaks at slide outs

New to us 2005 Endura 6340 we discovered water leaks on both slide outs during a driving rain storm. Appears to only happen while slides are out and during a hard rain. Bedroom slide leak showed up as wet carpet in far back corner. Not sure where it’s coming in but there looks like what could be old water damage to the very end of the crown molding above the bed. The living room slide is leaking across the top at the outer seal. No evidence of any previous water damage to the front area at all.

Has anyone else had these types of leaks? Are these spots a common problem?

Assume we need to repair/replace the slide out seals. Best place do we get them? Are they model specific or is it generic material you can buy in bulk?!

Any information/advice you can contribute is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
RVJeeper18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
psheehan

I just bought the slide out rubbers from Steele rubber. If you call and ask they are great at helping you get the right set .
psheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #3
bmojmhs

I have a 2005 ultraSupreme with a bedroom slide and a living room slide. The bedroom has been nothing but trouble. The living room slide has been no problem yet. I have had 2 leaks on the bedroom slideout. One was on the box front end and one on the box back end, but at different times (like a year apart). If it’s happened to me it will happen to others. Here’s a few things to look for.

1. The bed sits on the floor of the slide out. On the outside of the slide out check to see if the floor the box is wet or dry rot on the outside. If it is, it means the water is coming down the outside wall and coming into the MH under the box floor and dripping on to the carpet. If it’s not doing this, bonus. If it is wet or dry rot see the following #3 &4. If it is okay see #2.
2. If you think it is the opening seal, tilt the rig so water will flow to the outside edge of the slideout. If this stops it then replace the opening seal and see if that does it. You should play it safe and caulk all the joints on the box as discussed below.
3. My first leak was coming in under the box floor, so I figured it had to be coming down the outside wall, running under the floor and dripping onto the carpet. I caulked all the joints I could find on the outside of the box to no avail. If you look at the construction of the box it is a flat sheet of aluminum with the window in it. The edges slide into a piece of aluminum that has been bent into a U shape with a 90 degree edge to screw it to the box. The mating corners are cut at 45. On the outside corners you see small square plastic panels. These panels use double sided tape to hold them in place. Once I caulked the small plastic panel and the inside 45 degree cut, the leak went away. So, you may want to be proactive and caulk all the joints on the box.
4. The second leak started on the back side of the slide out and was the same as the front side. So I caulked all the joints again with no success. What it came down to was the roof. I got a shower curtain liner from the Dollar store and laid it over the slide roof to keep the water from getting on the roof. Once I did that the leak stopped. As my slide topper needed replacement, I took it off, cleaned the roof and could see my problem.

My MH roof is fibreglass, but the slideout roof is rubber. The U shaped box edging is screwed into the roof. This section is covered by a 4" strip of Eterna Bond tape. Over the years, wear and tear caused the screw heads to break through the tape giving water a way in. I taped over the screws, repainted the roof with a rubber coating, and put the new slide topper on. So far so good.

I live in the Pacific Northwest so waiting for it to rain to see if the leak has stopped is not a problem.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
CAP

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but you need new slide out gaskets. The trick to a new install is NOT to cut them at the top. Do a V shaped cut and bend the hell out of them from the top to the side. On the photo's tab.....page 3.....look for BT 5291 Floor Leak. That was from the gasket on my dinette slider. Cost to fix.....$5k - RVOne in Elkhart did the work. Good luck with this.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
Tered0712

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJeeper18 View Post
New to us 2005 Endura 6340 we discovered water leaks on both slide outs during a driving rain storm. Appears to only happen while slides are out and during a hard rain. Bedroom slide leak showed up as wet carpet in far back corner. Not sure where it’s coming in but there looks like what could be old water damage to the very end of the crown molding above the bed. The living room slide is leaking across the top at the outer seal. No evidence of any previous water damage to the front area at all.

Has anyone else had these types of leaks? Are these spots a common problem?

Assume we need to repair/replace the slide out seals. Best place do we get them? Are they model specific or is it generic material you can buy in bulk?!

Any information/advice you can contribute is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
I have the same unit as you and have had the same situation with the bedroom slide. Some good info has been supplied by others but I would also add making sure your rig is level plays a part. Also when it's raining very hard lowering the rig slightly in the front allows the water to run to the front. (quick fix while traveling) Also Make sure your slide rubber has not rolled and is not providing a seal along the slide. (simply unroll it with your awning hook) My slide cover did not extend beyond the slide so I had that fixed (new slide cover) Also once a year now I use 3n1 Rubber Seal spray to lube all the rubber seals around my slides which keeps them flexible. These fixes above have resolved my problem completely.
I also purchased my rig used and seen reddish stains on the carpet in the back corner of my bedroom slide on the wall side of the bed. Seems previous owner had the same problem but forgot to tell me about it. Hope this helps.
Tered0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
Mike1931

Mikey31 here,
I too am from the Pacific Northwest. Tulalip Washington.
We have a 2004 6340 Endura. As it was stored outside during the winter, not covered.
We too, had a bad leak. The leak turned the floor to mush! My son and I ended up replacing the floor from the middle of the bedroom slide all the way to the drivers side wall. And then forward to under the shower pan. This included forward to half way under the refrigerator.
It was quite a job. Lots of pictures and measurements along the way. Before it was totally completed, I came down with oral cancer. I went out on my good days and did what I could I did have all new awnings replaced during the repairs too.
The coach did end up in the shop to have all new inner and outer slide gaskets replaced . This project took a year and a half to complete, Damn Chemo kep kicking my butt.
The coach is all back together again, and I’m feeling much better now. Although cancer did take both my voice box and tongue. “New Normal” took some getting use too.
Oh! Forgot to mention, we bought a new cover for the coach and it keeps it nice and dry. I have more story’s about slides and jacks not operating! If you want to here about them….
Mikey
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
SlimTim

I have a Supernova 6400 vs, the Endura 6340 but I believe they both utilized the BAL Accu-Slide Cable system. If this is correct here is what I have found.

The slide seals are more of a dust seal and not so much a water seal. I say this because the seal is a wiper type seal that is fastened to the slide frame and sits/wipes against the sides and top of the slide box. The seal consists of three pieces, one for each side and one for the top. This type of seal does a very poor job of sealing the corners of the slide box, particularly if your slide box has an aluminum trim piece on the top edge of the slide box were the wall and roof come together.

What was happening on my unit is on really windy/rainy days (I also live in the Pacific Northwest) rain water was getting on top of the slide box. The way my slide box is constructed the only place this water can go is back towards the inside of the RV. Both
sides and the front of the slide box have a raised trim peace so the water has to go back into the RV. As I mentioned earlier the wiper seals do a poor job of sealing by the corners of the slide so sooner or later the water will get past the roof seal and it starts to pool up inside the RV on-top of the slide box. Eventually when enough water pools up on-top of the slide box and inside the RV it will start to run down the outside of the slide box walls (but inside the RV) until it eventually drips onto the carpet or runs along the bottom of the slide box and drips under the bed or some other place.

To fix this I did a couple of things. The first thing I did was to check the cable adjustment on the slide and make sure the roof of the slide box is slopped/tipping down away from the RV; you will want the RV level before checking this. This forces any rain that gets on top of the slide box to move away from the wiper seal. You need enough of a slope so the water can pool up and go over the trim pieces before it can back up an go past the wiper seal and into the RV. I also removed and re-positioned the bottom slide box trim pieces to make sure they are slopped/tipping away from the RV. Again the wiper seals do not work very well at keeping water out. If water is running down the outside of the slide wall and hits the bottom trim piece it will follow the trim piece. If the trim piece is slopped into the RV the water will run along the trim piece past the wiper slide and into the RV. The last thing I did was install a small strip of materiel (gutter) that will redirect any water that makes it past the wiper seal. The gutter is installed at an angle on the slide wall so that it redirects any water back outside of the wiper seal vs letting it drip inside. If you look at new RV's that use the cable system many manufactures are installing a plastic gutter to redirect any water to the outside of the slide wiper seal.

Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote