Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
rjf7g

Default Electrical Problem in Park Trailer

We have experienced electrical problems with our 36 FRS park trailer...it has a residential fridge and all other standard RV appliances. We found that we have to cut the AC when we want to run the microwave sometimes (the circuit breaker trips when we run both at the same time sometimes - perhaps when either the fridge or the hot water heater is on). This past weekend, the main breaker would trip with just the AC. So, I switched the hot water to gas only and that seemed to help but we spent a JULY night not being able to run the AC at all. I called my dealer the next morning and he drove 45 minutes to check things out.

He found that the main wire to the breaker box was loose! The breaker was tripping at 24.6 A! I am just glad we didn't have a fire AND that we have such a great dealer.

I wanted to post this here in case someone else has similar issues..
Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
RJ82much

Becky,

An important message. An excellent diagnosis & a superb dealer, whose name you should probably mention.

You certainly had a potential for a fire ready to happen. Did you notice any strange "electrical-type" smells leading up to this discovery?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Sounds like it was a good thing it was found when it was.

If the breaker was tripped many times, it will weaker it and it will be tripping at a lower amperage draw. It is probably best if the breaker is replaced with a new one to give you proper protection.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
rjf7g

The dealer is Grandview Trailer Sales in Bedford, VA - www.grandviewtrailersales.com. I would recommend dealing with Kenneth and Linda Hurt any chance one gets! I custom ordered exactly what I wanted - to the extent GS would build it - Kenneth called his sales rep at least a half dozen times with my odd ball questions...they installed the park trailer on my leased site (Kenneth even brought his tractor to level the gravel on the lot)...and, they have made a couple of trips to my site for warranty and non-warranty repairs. See viewtopic.php?t=655 for the story of them putting "The Teacher's Lounge" in!

We had no electrical smells...I would have pulled the plug at that sign!