Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #1
wvlwolf

Default Supernova 6400 Owner

Hello Everyone, my wife and I have owned our 2008 Supernova 6400 since late 2017. We are trying to get involved with other Supernova owners especially the 6400 series to see what they have done to their rigs and maybe find out some things to watch out for and get ahead of. We love the tank capacity and sleeping capacity of the rig but would love to get more power, better weatherization, and smoother ride if possible. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to provide.
wvlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
SlimTim

wvlwolf - where is home for you and what do you use your 6400 for? We mostly use our 6400 for extended stay motorcycle trips (mostly woods riding) and my wife uses it to go to her horse shows. There was another 6400 owner on here that did an incredible job updating the inside of their 6400. I will see if I can find his post. He had a very rare 6400 as it was a 2011 or 12 that came from GS with the DT466 engine and the Allison 3000 transmission. I think GS only made two 6400's with this engine and transmission combination. He only had it about a year before selling it so hopefully it went to a good home.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
wvlwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
wvlwolf - where is home for you and what do you use your 6400 for? We mostly use our 6400 for extended stay motorcycle trips (mostly woods riding) and my wife uses it to go to her horse shows. There was another 6400 owner on here that did an incredible job updating the inside of their 6400. I will see if I can find his post. He had a very rare 6400 as it was a 2011 or 12 that came from GS with the DT466 engine and the Allison 3000 transmission. I think GS only made two 6400's with this engine and transmission combination. He only had it about a year before selling it so hopefully it went to a good home.
ST, we current reside in Eastern Tennessee, we purchased it to visit our daughters who are both military and stationed throughout the country. I am retired and still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. Our goal is to either get an enclosed trailer that can tow the wife's car and the motorcycle or get a crew cab 1/2ton pickup that the bike will fit in the bed and flat tow it.

The engine on this rig is great because it a pre-egr model so no emissions to kill the engine even more. We have put 40k miles on ours since 2017 and had our share of mechanical issues with the rig but hopefully past most of that now.

We have looked at other rigs out there but none of them have the tank or sleeping capacity of this rig. The closest thing out there that we have liked was the Dynamax Dynaquest XL 37RB and even that was just nice because of the amenities and more floor space, it still lacked tank and sleeping capacity. I think if we could figure out how to open up the living area more this would be a no brainer for us.

Sorry to data dump on you but it is great having people that have been there done that. I have done a few mods to ours but I am not sure if it is anything that would be worth putting on the site. Most of the stuff you guys are putting up is real technical ideas. These are just things that I have figured out to make life easier with this rig.

Thanks again for the conversation and assistance.
Charles
Old 02-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #4
FreedMeister

Default Fellow Supernova owner

We have a 2008 supernova on the 2007 international. We bought it well used and with some issues. There was a nicely done air bag rear suspension that adds a little bit of softness before the leaf springs pick up the load. I've redone the bedroom slide/bed as a queen instead of a king as the king was too hard to get around. Many electric mods. LiPO4 batteries, air suspension seats, air compressor, tank, bigfoot leveling system. Added electric to the hot water heater (it had an element, but not wired up...) Redone so many things that were crappy from the factory... Located in NH.
FreedMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
wvlwolf

FreedMeister, Thanks for your reply. I would love to see what you did with the bed. My wife and I have actually discussed reducing the size to a queen as well. We have a ton of improvements that we are thinking of but we haven't pulled the trigger yet. We have actually considered looking into splitting the drivers side slide at the living room in order to make it go out further and open up the living and dining area. So far I have only found one company in Indiana that may be able to do it but haven't contacted them yet to see what the feasibility of it is. The biggest downside would be losing the bunkhouse or at least having to redesign that portion of the slide which would reduce the length of the bunks or make the wardrobe smaller or both not sure yet. Our rig is in the shop right now getting a new roof on it so while we were doing that we upgraded the forward A/C to a heat pump and installed all new ventilation fans, tank vents, and upgraded the antenna.

Look forward to learning more about your upgrades. The only things I have upgraded are simple things like changing out the rear taillight receptacles, adding a way to fill the potable water tank while connected to city water, and adding structural supports underneath the potable water tank compartment to handle the weight better.