Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
J79 Engine

Default 2005 Sun Voyager 39 foot SE Gas

I'm in the middle of upgrading to a Class A Gas from a 5th wheel is there anything I need to know important before we hit the highways of the USA?
I have a commerical class B license from driving school buses part time in the past. I have no idea what to expect in the operation of this 2005 Sun Voyager 39 foot SE Gas, it has 22,000 miles on it, GMC 8.1 engine and will have a complete chasie service and oil change for the on board generator and engine. I also will have a 4 year extended warenty. All comments and suggestions plus tips on how to are welcomed. My background is; Iam the only remaining on duty F4 Phantom J79 engine mechanical technical adviser working inside GE Aviation after a 22 year USAF retirement of which 17 years were served in England mostly at RAF Alconbury. I am 4 years out of retirement for the second time around and want to understand all there is to know about our new, to us, Class A.
Thanks;

Mike S.
J79 Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
RJ82much

Mike,

You will absolutely love driving your unit. The 8.1 liter engine performs flawlessly for us. It's powerful & reliable. You'll love the tight turning radius, though watch out how far the back end kicks out on those sharp turns.

At the moment, I can't think of any specific concerns related to the GMC/ Workhorse chassis other than to remind you that there is a safety recall on the brakes. It involves changing ALL brake cylinders. That's the good news. The bad is that while the service center is performing the work, they may report that they NEED to change the rotors, hoses, pads, etc.... AT YOUR EXPENSE! I was supposed to take comfort in the fact that it may only require upwards to $2000 for the free safety recall.

Though not specific to the Workhorse, or even Gulf Stream, inspect ALL tires carefully for signs of sidewall cracks. It turns out that tires last no more than 5 years and 1 week (5 year warantee). I had to change tires on my 2005 Sun Voyager summer before last, with under 20,000 miles.

Beyond that, Safe & Happy Travels!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote