Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #41
Jeppo

Default Re: VISA 19ERD Bent Axle

Did you check the air pressure of your tires? When I bought my VISA 19RSD in May I pointed out this axle issue. I was told that the problem is that GUlf Stream delivers these trailer with extremely cheap tires and very low PSI. The tire air pressure should be about 45 psi. We installed good tires and I make sure that they are always properly inflated and we never had a problem.

Jeppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff2444
I read this thread going back a couple years before I purchased my 2013 Visa ERD in May of 2012. I spoke with the Gulf Stream rep at our local RV Show and he assured me that they have resolves the issue with bent axles. However, after less than 10,000 miles, I was lucky enough to catch the excessive tire wear before I had a blow out. I was lucky to find a nearby tire shop, in the middle of South Dakota, to install 2 new tires. Upon my return home I started making inquiries about the axle and tires. I was told my my dealer to have it aligned and that the axle was probably not bent or broken. I took it first to a trailer/truck alignment center and was told that they can't align it because it had a torsion axle. When I told my dealer that I wanted a new axle, he said to take it to an alignment center he works with and that they do align torsion axles. After talking to the shop owner, I was comfortable that they knew what they were doing and had them work on it. I picked it up yesterday. They said they aligned it and it should be good for a couple years. They do recommend alignment every couple years or when excessive tire wear is seen. I also had them provide a 4" lift for my unit. I had dragged the back end several times due to the lack of clearance. It is nice to step in and out of the trailer, but the low clearance caused problems. I see that the new model (Vista Cruiser) has a beefed up axle and is lifted 4". I am going to seek a reimbursement from Gulf Stream for my tires and alignment expenses, but I'm not going to hold my breath for success. The alignment center told me that trailers are notoriously bad at properly aligning wheels after manufacture and that some are very off. The alignment was about $200 and the lift was $600.