Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
wildborer

Default 2007 Gulf Stream Friendship G8

Good Day...need help!
Looking for reviews/comments/critique on 2007 Gulf Stream Friendship G8 . I have been searching everywhere for reviews on this MH without success, so I am throwing this out to the owners.

Any information will greatly help my purchasing decision as I need to move on this unit quite quickly, so not to lose it.

Thanking you all in advance!

Mike
wildborer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: 2007 Gulf Stream Friendship G8

Wildborer,

I have a G8 brochure that is marked as 2007 but I believe that it is the same coach as the 2006. Here is a link to the on-line version:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/litar...iendshipG8.pdf As I understand it the G8 floorplans were all 4 slide units and many had the "atrium" windows which have gotten some mixed comments here on reliability/weatherproofing and heat gain issues in warmer climates. They have the 350 Cat engines whereas mine has the Mercedes diesel -- but are otherwise very similar mechanically as well.

The 8412 floorplan is quite similar to my Tour Master 40C with an extra slide added. I really like the walk-in closet on mine and the separate washer and dryer as I live in it full time at present. The large shower and residential refrigerator are also features that I would not be without in another coach...

What floorplan are you considering?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
wildborer

Hey Chuck,
Thanks for getting back with me.
I am looking at the 8411 Floor Plan. What is your overall comment on the MH?
I am new to this and have concerns to the size, as it limits your accessibility. Any known issues to observe? I will have mechanic go over the unit, but owners know what to look for.
Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 09-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Chuck v

Mike,

I have no direct experience with the G8's or the 8411 floor plan, but suggest that you do check out the atrium overhead windows carefully. An available option was the 400 HP Cummins engine and that would be an advantage in a coach that size if you are towing a car/truck/trailer with it. The aqua hot is a nice feature as well, one that I do not have in my coach but would like to have...

The wheel base on that 8411 is 276 inches where mine is 288 and the 8411 is a foot shorter than my 40C as well, so you should not have any maneuverability issues -- mine is not at all hard to drive or park (don't ask my wife if she ever closes her eyes... ) There are some parks and other destinations you may want to visit in rural areas that don't allow coaches over 40 feet, so is that the 'accessibility' issue you are concerned with?

Like any other low volume build (this is true of stick-built residential homes as well) there is always a "punch list" of things that need to be put right initially and this varies from unit to unit -- hopefully the prior owner was knowledgeable and conscientious about getting those things looked after. I bought my coach used with just 8K miles on it and have found a few things to fix/improve. The entertainment electronics were mediocre at best...I have since put full HD capable screens in both the salon and the bedroom. At least they were flat screens to start with so not much cabinet modification was needed. Is your front TV a flat screen or an older CRT type?

I found one convenience outlet did not work and it came that way from the factory. There was a minor leak in the drain for the washing machine that I found when I upgraded the washer to one with more cycles to select from (wife did not like the one that came in the coach...) We took the old unit out ourselves -- great fun for a couple of senior citizens in a cramped space. I used my shop engine hoist to take it out the front door of the coach as the machine was just an inch narrower than the opening (co-pilot seat had to be removed.) Sears delivered the new washer into the coach, two strong men could do that sort of thing where my wife and I could not...

I have added shelving in the kitchen base cabinets and changed all the faucets to higher arch contemporary ones.

One more thing -- has this coach you are considering had the Norcold refrigerator upgraded on the factory recalls to prevent fire? Maybe it already has a 110 only residential refrigerator installed in its place -- lots of on-line discussions of this conversion for coaches of this vintage.

There are a few members of this site with Friendship rigs of various years, maybe one or more will chime in with some more specific recommendations. Let us know what you find in your inspections, what your mechanic finds/recommends and ultimately what you decide.

Chuck

Old 09-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Chuck v

Mike,

Also found this thread specific to 8411 Atrium models...might be useful info:

http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.ph...um+8411#p20395

Old 09-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
wildborer

Chuck,
Thanks for all your input. These are the things I was looking for...
I cannot give any specifics on this coach as I just recently looked at it and the Gulf Stream specs. I do know that it does have the 400hp Cummins and Aqua Hot. As far as fridge and others items, I can't say.
Visually everything "looks" in good order, but will wait and see when mechanic and test drive happens this week.

Thanks again for your info and I hope others will chime in on their coaches. Any other thoughts you have are graciously welcomed!

I'll keep you informed...
Mike
Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
wildborer

Chuck,
Well, we pulled the trigger and are purchasing the 07 friendship.
Now we have chore of Financing and Insurance. Have been looking at Good Sam for Insurance; collision, roadside, and extended.
Any suggestions would be beneficial...
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Chuck v

Mike,

I also use Good Sam for insurance for my coach, truck, SUV and enclosed cargo trailer (the underlying carrier is National General and the same deal can be had through Family Motor Coaching...) We continue to use AAA's +RV roadside assistance as we drive our cars a lot and the wife likes the universality of the AAA as any tow truck will accept it.

Insurance is a very personal choice -- plus where you live, how you use your coach, what else you bundle with it all effect the cost.

Since you pulled the trigger on the G8, it must have had all the features that you deemed essential and was in good enough shape to suit your inquiries as to how it was maintained -- what did the mechanic's inspection reveal? Also, does it have a residential refrigerator? If it does, be sure that the inverter and deep cycle batteries dedicated to that inverter are up to snuff.

One more thing...what is the DOT code on the tires? I recently put new tires on my coach due to the prior ones 'aging out' rather than any tread wear issues. Don't take chances on old tires no matter how low the mileage or how the tread looks. It is the DOT date code that indicates when it is a good idea to change tires that otherwise look fine...

Chuck

Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
RayChez1

I have the Hartford insurance through AARP. It was the most reasonable that we could find and still very good coverage.

For towing we have Coach-Net. It is hard to find anything better then Coach-Net.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote