Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Bridgettmclaughlin

Default Trouble Cranking

I tried to crank my 2006 tour master this morning and after turning the key nothing happened. No lights or anything. The generator won't crank either. We ran the generator 2 weeks ago with no problem. The coach was cranked up a month ago. We are new to this and are clueless. Please help!
Bridgettmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Trouble Cranking

There are three banks of batteries on a Tour Master: The 2 paralleled diesel cranking batteries, the two parallel house batteries (both pairs behind a basement door near the curb side rear wheels...) and the 4 each 6 volt batteries wired series/parallel that are behind the door under the windscreen-- these start the generator and provide power for the inverter.

In the stairwell there are two large rocker switches that disconnect the house and engine batteries when the coach is not in use -- these are lighted and you must have the right most one (marked 'chassis') turned up to crank the engine. If the engine cranking battery is too weak to start the motor, you can use the "aux start" switch on the dash (top row of rocker switches at the left most position) to TEMPORARILY connect the house batteries to the engine batteries to start the motor.

Have you had the coach stored or are you occupying it? Is it connected to shore power to keep the house batteries charged? The Tour Master coach does not have a shore power provision to charge or maintain the chassis/engine batteries so I have added a Battery Tender-type charger to mine to ensure that the coach batteries are fully charged when I need to start my engine.

Be sure to check the electrolyte level in all the batteries on a regular basis and keep them topped up -- when on shore power the inverter has a charger function that keeps the 6 volt batteries constantly charged and can cause quite a bit of electrolyte to be lost. Always use distilled water to add to a battery of this type. I replaced my original inverter with a pure sine wave type and that seems to have a more sophisticated charging system, but I still watch the levels. Since it is a bit difficult to see down into the cells where these 6 volt batteries mount, I have also added a watering system with hand pump -- makes topping off all 12 cells quite simple.

Good luck and let us know what you find is the root cause of your 'no-start' issue...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Bridgettmclaughlin

Thanks Chuck. We will check the batteries. Question. How do you check/refill the batteries? How often should I check them? I'm plugged in at a campsite. I have been living in the coach for about a month. Hopefully we can figure this out.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
RayChez1

I check the house batteries at least every three months and if needed I add distilled water which you can purchase at any WalMart store. The chassis batteries on mine are sealed maintenance free batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Chuck v

I agree with RayChez, checking quarterly is about the right frequency. On my front four batteries (6 volt golf cart style) I have installed a filling system since it is so challenging to see down into the cells for the electrolyte level at their location under the windshield.

I would do the same with the house batteries -- but have yet to find a way to fit up to the manifold style cell covers on the Exide batteries I have there. The golf cart style batteries up front have individual caps. My chassis batteries that start the diesel are also sealed/maintenance free style like Ray mentioned his coach has fitted.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Bridgettmclaughlin

Thanks for all the help. Being that RV living is new to me I didn't know to disconnect the chassis batteries when plugged in. The maintenance guy at the RV park recharged them and changed the fuse in the aux start and she cranked right up! I'm learning a lot. Imeven doing my own battery maintenance.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Frutza

Its good to do your own maintenance, but, do be careful of battery's, if your not familiar, with them. The white stuff on the terminals is acid and can burn you, like the water in the cells. and a wrench accidentally shorting the positive and negative terminal can cause an explosion, Not trying to scare you, but use caution if its new to you, maybe use a face shield and rubber gloves.
And enjoy the Holidays.