Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
LabCab

Default Rodent Repellent

As many of us country dwellers know, no matter what, the possibility of have a visit from the "Country Mouse" is a common probability. In fact those happy Gray Squirrels may try to find a cozy winter retreat, up in your engine compartment.

I would not have believed the latter if I had not found a bunch of long gray tail hairs ( I know that's what they were since I hunt them-yum).

Usually, I get mice coming up in the rear of the Rig up through the the openings for the Levelers.

I have been putting mouse traps in that rear section where the water tank is located. I do an over kill with 3 traps (Love those plastic Victors with the Teeth) and a dab of peanut butter. I had been getting 5 or 7 over a season.

I have also used the "Cab Fresh pouches". They work. But.... the are costly. I heard many things about Rodents not liking certain scents such as Peppermint and Moth Balls.

My remedy has been as follows. Go on Ebay (Cheapest price anywhere and volume) Buy a 16 oz bottle of Peppermint Oil.
cost about $26.00 (sounds like a lot. you have enough to last you YEARS) Pick up a large bag of Cotton Balls $3.00. Next is pretty easy. Ask your Mrs. or got out and buy a pair Panty Hose. Go the extra mile and get a box of old fashioned Moth Balls (Use the balls not a cake - they melt over time. All of these you can get at WalMart.

To make it all easier get a small squirt bottle.
Mix 2 parts oil to 1 part water in the bottle You'll need to shake it mix -I know water & oil don't mix TRUST ME.
If you want Over Kill use only the Oil.

Cut the Panty Hose legs in 6 inch or so sections.

Put in a bunch of Cotton Balls. Tie the ends on the Panty Hose.

You can also use these pouches for the Moth Balls. DO NOT MIX Cotton & Moth Balls.

You may want to use plastic gloves and use a face mask. The Oil is REALLY Strong stuff. You may never want to eat a Peppermint Patty Mint again.

Shake the Sprayer and saturate the Pouch until they are nice and wet.

Place them where you need them.

You can refill the Moth Ball pouches next year. Just respray the cotton pouches if you feel you need to.
I do not believe you will need to.
ENJOY!!!