Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Ultra Supreme

Default Slideout Problem

I have a 37 ft. 2004 Ultra Supreme and I seem to have a problem with my bedroom slideout. After the RV has been sitting in the drive way for a few days the bottom of the slideout will creep out about 3 to 4 inches. The top stays put. This is a hydraulic slideout and is 124" in length. Is this air in my lines? There are no leaks in the lines and the fluid level has not moved. I do not have slideout room stabilzers yet they are on order but they will not correct the problem only band aid it in my opinion. Has anybody else had this problem?
Ultra Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Chuck v

If your coach uses the Power Gear Dewald hydraulic slide mechanism, look at this document pages 27 through 31 about slide room "drift" which may be due to internal cylinder bypass leakage.
http://www.powergearus.com/documents/Pa ... ut_Sys.pdf

Print out and take this document with you to your service shop if you plan on having this issue looked into by your dealer.

My main room slide-out on my 2007 Tour Master 40C drifts out sometimes and not at others...this intermittent problem has not responded to the efforts of the local RV service shops to find/fix it. I am pretty sure that it is cylinder leakage, and as a second owner did not catch it in time for any warranty consideration. It also does not help that there is no good GS dealer or shop in my immediate area...

If anyone reading this thread had been successful in getting a warranty adjustment on this issue, please let us know how you accomplished it.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Ultra Supreme

Thanks , I will read this and see if I can figure it out from here. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
GO BLUE

I had my 07 in and out of the shop for the first year trying to find out why the slide would creep out at times...dealer got tech reports from mfg did a lot of tests....first two times I took it in it would not slide out in a month then it would move four inches in 3 days....the ran pressure test and could not find anything...brought it back from darlington may 11th and it has not moved......but it will happen again....ps I put slideout brackets on one time to hold in and it almost broke the inner panels and knocked the would off so there is a lot of pressure pushing the slide out jim k
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
El_Sifon

Send a message via Yahoo to El_Sifon

I've had the very same problem with the bedroom slide out on my 2004 Sunvoyager. I took it to the dealer three or four times to have the drift problem fixed. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. That was back when Dewald was still in business. Now that Powergear has a decent manual with trouble shooting procedure I may try taking it to a dealer and having the problem looked at again. It seems a damn shame that I'll have to pay for it out of pocket when I tried repeated to have it fixed while it was under warranty.

I would also recommend that anyone who has this problem fix it immediately. I used the braces that the service people recommend and now the wood trim on the room is seperating. Braces are not a solution and if I didn't have to use them I wouldn't. All they do is damage the room supports.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
RayChez1

Internal hydraulic cylinder by pass leakage. That is all it could be IF you don't have any fluid leakage anywhere. You will need to replace the hydraulic cylinder in my opinion and that should solve the problem.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Ultra Supreme

Can the hydraulic cylinder be re-built or do you have to get a new one? I believe they are very expensive new are they not?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
RJ82much

Wouldn't the cause more likely be the control valve leaking? Pressure to the cylinder is coming from somewhere.

Of course, I stab myself in the foot with this theory because if the hydraulic pump isn't running, where is the pressure coming from?

One more theory: weight of the motorhome on your levelers could pressurize those cylinders & a control valve leak would result in hydraulic pressure in the line to the slide cylinder.

IE: I don't have the answer, but investigate before spending mucho $'s on slide cylinders...

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
RayChez1

I have been looking at the link that shows the different manifold pumps and I notice it has a check valve that could be sticking also. So it comes down to two major places where it could be leaking through. One is the check valve and the other is the pressure head on the cylinder itself. If I was you guys that are having problems with the slide creeping out, I would call Power Gear and ask what the possibilities of the problem and where it might be. It also gives a phone number to call 1-800-334-1712 for information on trouble shooting and cost to repair.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Ultra Supreme

I called Power Gear and they told me that I had to call the dealer so I will try that route again....

Old 10-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
RayHarkness

Default Re: Slideout Problem

I know this thread was somewhat old. BUT, thought I would throw in some information. We are in the Sarasota Florida area.
We had the back slide, creeping out. I called various RV Dealers, they all stated, to bring it in, they weren't sure. Motor brakes, solenoids all sorts of ideas.
How can I drive it with the slides going OUT.

I contacted a company, Flex Hydraulics, in Sarasota, They obviously do hydraulic repairs, cylinder etc. They came right out, checked the back hydraulic cylinder, and could hear the fluid bypassing in the cylinder. You could hear gurgling or squishing when put power to it. No problem, they said. They removed that bedroom cylinder. Then we tested the front main slide. SAME THING. It was a battle but Bryan got the front cylinder out as well. They took both to the shop, rebuilt the hydraulic cylinders, and then returned and installed them. They made sure fluid was up to proper levels in the Dewald (later bought out by PowerGear-whichwas bought out by Lippert!) System is working great, and I didn't pay a 1000 dollar bill. They advised they can also work on the leveling cylinders as well. No big deal, as they stated to me. REASONABLE PRICE..they treated me right, and got me going. If anybody has any questions, you can always call them. They told me they can rebuild cylinders, if somebody can take them out themselves and send them to them.

All is well. Solenoids were good, no other issues. He said this is VERY common. Reach 10 years in hydraulic cylinders and the seals can go. Dont' waste your time trying to tack thru PowerGear of Dewalt. They didnt' even carry the cylinders anymore. (Lippert now) anybody has a question, [email protected]
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
RJ82much

Ray, thank you for the very useful report. It's good to hear kudos for an honest & reputable service provider.
See you around Sarasota! ~Bob

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
RayHarkness

ps

the weather is just getting really really nice down here!!!! we are headed out for a small trip next week. Slides are still working..I keep trying them!!!!
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:54 AM   #14
Kevinett

Question GF Tourmaster 8430 - slide issue, cylinder leaks

Help! My main slide is not retracting. It has been determined that the hydraulic cylinder needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

How do you removed the cylinder? I have the slide completely out, can access the outside nuts, but how do you get to the other end to unbolt it, and remove the fluid lines?

Any advice is appreciated. I've attempted to go through the lower storage on the slide side, but once storage panels are removed, still appears enclosed & covered up.

Thank you in advance! Kevin
Kevinett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #15
Chuck v

Kevin,

the attached manual is somewhat generic but may give you some insight into how to take the cylinder out...

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parts_Serv_Man_Dewald_Hyd_Slideout_Sys.pdf (1.09 MB, 11 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote