Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
pastordug

Default Downshifting Suggestions

So this might be a very simple question but I want to ask. I have been reading the books on the 2004 Crescendo I purchased today and it talks about driving and using the "shifting" (I'm guessing the up/down arrows next to the buttons to RND) method to get better mpg and save brakes. Anyone with experience tell me a little more about this? I just don't want to do anything to damage the tranny.
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
GulfStream1

Default Re: Downshifting Suggestions

When driving down long steep grades use your retarder to slow the coach down and it will save your brake shoes from wearing out. It will automatically drop from high gear to lower gears when you push the retarder button. Do not use the arrow buttons for shifting down going down hill. Now you can shift down going up hill if the rpm drops below 1200, but usually the Allison 3000MH will shift by itself.
GulfStream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
pastordug

The only other button I have says "exhaust brake" (maybe not brake) and it is right below the shifting buttons. From what I read I thought when this switch was turned on the exhaust worked automatically? I didn't see any other buttons?
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
GulfStream1

Yes, that should be it. You turn it on while going down hill to save your brakes. Some are called exhaust brake, Pac brake, Jacob brake and Retarder brake.

The exhaust and Pac brakes are the same works off the exhaust to slow the coach down and at the same time it shifts down. Jacob and retarder brakes work directly off the transmission.

Most of your bigger engines have Jake brakes. Some like Foretravel had Retarder brakes.
GulfStream1 is offline   Reply With Quote