Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
hossross

Default Wardrobe Removal

How do I remove the wardrobe that is attached to a slide? I have removed the 2 drawers and can see the carpet underneat the wardrobe, I can't locate the fasteners that retain it. Anyone got any experience or sources on how it is attached? This is on a B Touring Cruiser 5250 but I would think all attachments to a slide would be simular.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
hossross

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
How do I remove the wardrobe that is attached to a slide? I have removed the 2 drawers and can see the carpet underneat the wardrobe, I can't locate the fasteners that retain it. Anyone got any experience or sources on how it is attached? This is on a B Touring Cruiser 5250 but I would think all attachments to a slide would be simular.
photos added below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wardrobe1.jpg (192.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg wardrobe2.jpg (105.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wardrobe3.jpg (119.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wardrobe4.jpg (90.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
jerryg401

Default wardrobe removal

The first step would be to remove all the screws you can find by using the proper driver (Phillips, square, etc.) and by turning them counter-clockwise. Look in adjacent compartments for additional mounting screws to remove. Once you have removed all screws you can find, begin to gently pry the framing loose ( they use a generous amount of glue in RV's and this will probably destroy the framing and trim). Now take a look at the pile of scrap and the loss of the generous amount of storage afforded by the attractive cabinets and say to yourself.....why did I do that???
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
hossross

Thanks for the info Jerry, I am doing some under slide repair for water damage and was wanting to get deeper, but based on your comments good enough will have to do. The glued to the wall makes sense as its quite solidly mounted.

May I ask if you worked in the RV industry or where you gained your experience.

thanks
Old 10-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
jerryg401

Default wardrobe removal

Hi There,

I am the owner of a 07 BT Cruiser 5291 with triple slides and have had problems with the floors under all three of them. The answer to two of them was 1/4 inch thick aluminum plates installed to support the rollers. The final one is the bedroom slide I am currently working on to correct water intrusion problems. Replacing the seals has helped, but not eliminated the problem entirely. I have had to tear into the wall and floor structure with repair in mind, but ended up replacing a lot of framing and trim due to the assembly methods used.
If it were not for glue these things would not stay together for long.
Best of luck with yours, just wanted you to be aware and prepared before you get in over your head.

Regards,

Jerry
jerryg401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
hossross

1 of my 2 slides had the wood underneath wet and hence deteriorated and delaminated. I scraped away all the bad wood I could access, looks like it was 3/16 plywood with a paper outer surface. Clearly not structural, but the rollers do ride on it. My plan is to get as much 1/4 inch under there as possible, (wood is good on 1 roller, bad on the second, but I lifted the "slide box" and broke out much of the bad wood) A 1/8 inch 9 foot long piece aluminum arrived today to use as a 1 piece bottom close-out and new surface for the rollers to ride on. Interestingly if I could have gotten access to bottom and gotten all the old plywood off, I would have closed out with a single 1/4" piece of aluminum, so we are thinking similar. So based on you comments and that I would need to completely remove the slides to get full access to the bottom, the above described fix will have to do.

However another question: did you completely removing the "slide boxes" to do the repairs? How do the "slide boxes or rooms" actually remove out the coach wall, ie I can see where the 90 degree angle metal screws into the side that becomes part of the seal surface, but just not obvious how the 4 inch fluted wood trim is attached to the slide walls? Not going to do it, but would still like to know, especially before these become so obsolete that some one has first hand experience is not available.
Does your coach have the single electric motor rack and gear pinion slide mechanism on the slides? What is the trade name for that type of mechanism? I just looked at your model, looks like we share the same dinette slide, and the sofa/range slide on yours is about the same size as my sofa/wardrobe/external storage, with your range using the space where my wardrobe/storage is. It may be the same slide box. I don't have a dedicated bedroom. mine is a model 5250. Have you updated the rear camera and display on yours, assuming it is the same black and white visor mounted display?

Tags
removal, slide, wardrobe