Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
ClayF

Angry Gulf Stream needs better Quality Control

I bought an Innsbruck Travel trailer. I've camped in it twice. So far, the fresh water tank burst, the stereo cuts out when playing CDs, the A/C controller is flaky, and yesterday the Awning pulled through the single screw holding it to the trailer and destroyed itself. I'm still at the RV park wondering how to get the awning back to town for repair. Retailer where I bought it said Gulf Stream wouldn't honor the warranty. Gulf Stream should honor it because they only fastened the scissor arms with three screws instead of the six specified by the manufacturer CareFree.
ClayF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Farmer Fran

That is the disparity with TTs. I have owned a few, diffferent brands and my Gulfstream 19erd is easily the best built i have owned.
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
ClayF

The atrocious quality control is an issue. Equally important is the failure of Gulf Stream to honor their warranty. This failure speaks volumes about their product and the company in general. Eventually, it will catch up to them. Three screws to hold up the awning when the awning manufacturer specifices six? Come on. This is pure utter carelessness.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
Farmer Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayF View Post
The atrocious quality control is an issue. Equally important is the failure of Gulf Stream to honor their warranty. This failure speaks volumes about their product and the company in general. Eventually, it will catch up to them. Three screws to hold up the awning when the awning manufacturer specifices six? Come on. This is pure utter carelessness.
Well this sounds like a pretty easy thing to prove, take a picture of the 3 holes and contact GS.

If they still deny, lawyer up.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
ClayF

Absolutely. I've photographed the three screws, and the empty screw slots on both arms. The repair shop has sent the photographs and is awaiting a verdict.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
Farmer Fran

I cannot imagine them denying it, if this is the case.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
ClayF

I will update this post if GS honors the warranty on the awning.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Tillie

Default Never buy new

Such is the state of the RV industry and it has always been that way. That is why I never buy new. The warrantees are not worth the paper they are printed on and the dealer will blame the manufacturer who will blame the individual component manufacturer all of whom claim to have warrantees but won’t back them. I let the first owner deal with the BS of trying to get the factory mistakes rectified and the months waiting for repairs and parts while their new RV is unusable. If anything goes wrong I fix it myself or take it to my mechanic. The dealer is a last resort.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #9
Just Cruisin

Default Gulf Stream needs better Quality Control

I agree that quality control needs to be improved, for Gulf Stream, as well as the overall RV industry. I've been an avid reader of RV articles for the last 10 years and it seems that the industry quality control has been worse since about 2011-2012. No matter which manufacturer, you can find many upset owners. I looked at many lists of "best RV brands" and found the top three or four always stayed there just as the bottom two or three stayed at the bottom. That at least helped me narrow the list to choose from.
Even after doing that, I was frustrated at the few issues I've had with my 2018 BT Cruiser. It's been mostly screws that fell out or outlets not working. However, the worst was terrible leaks from around one of my slides. It took a couple of times at the dealer before they finally realized the seal had been installed upside down. Thankfully, my dealer was great to work with and they fixed everything with no charge and put me at the top of the list since the RV was so new.
Good luck with your quality issues.
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #10
BPeschka

I've definitely noticed in postings on this forum that poor Quality Control is a given with GS. I see it, in person, in my 2004 BT Cruiser. Fortunately, I bought it used, only recently, and the fixes have been someone else's problem.

2004 BT Cruiser 5210
Class C
BPeschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
ClayF

Well here is the latest. Even though the photographs clearly show that the awning was improperly installed with 4 screws instead of the 6 specified in the installation manual, Gulfstream is not going to honor the warranty. There was a light rain when the awning collapsed, and that is the excuse they are using. Guess I am going to have to lawyer up.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #12
Farmer Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayF View Post
Well here is the latest. Even though the photographs clearly show that the awning was improperly installed with 4 screws instead of the 6 specified in the installation manual, Gulfstream is not going to honor the warranty. There was a light rain when the awning collapsed, and that is the excuse they are using. Guess I am going to have to lawyer up.
Bummer. Not good to hear.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
LaramieJoe

We bought a Vintage Cruiser in 2020 in Salt Lake City. On the way back home, one of the caps covering the awning mechanism flew off on I-80. Then the external refrigerator cover flew off, again somewhere on I-80. One of the two propane tanks doesn't work.

I could go on. GS quality control is non-existent, just like their customer service. We are heart-broken and don't know what to do.

I wish I'd bought an R-Pod.
LaramieJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
RY469

I'm a Service Tech, R-pods have worse quality than Gulf Stream products . . . What you describe is not Gulf Stream, but poor attention to detail possibly by a Technician. The two covers must not have been secured properly (by local maintenance folks). The propane tank can be a number of simple fixes. You have dual 20# tanks? With switch lever at regulator?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Just Cruisin

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your new RV. It's so disheartening to pay such a high price for an RV only to have things go wrong. Since your Gulf Stream is still new I suggest talking to the dealer that sold it to you and explain your issues. I had a terrible leak that didn't show up until it rained several weeks after purchasing. My dealer resolved the problem with no charge. Perhaps the dealer could do a thorough walk-through to check for other issues. You can ask for a free or discounted replacement for the items that flew off as you traveled. The worst they can do is say "no".

Crossing my fingers for you...
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #16
MarkW

Default Gulfstream quality (vs Forest River)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaramieJoe View Post
I wish I'd bought an R-Pod.
Maybe the grass is greener, but maybe not:

I know that doesn't help with the frustrating issues you're facing, but maybe it provides some perspective.
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #17
evh5150

The RV industry is a vastly broken industry at so many levels.
Until the industry gets on board with in process quality assurance inspections these type of issues will prevail.
The issue is that Quality costs money. Something the industry does not want to invest in to the level needed.
This reminds me of the US automakers in the 70's. Shoddy quality and workmanship.It took a new guy in town..namely the Japanese autos arriving with better Quality Assurance at the plant level.
It starts with a "say what you do and do what you say" company philosophy to start delivering a product with zero defects.
A long road ahead though.
Just my thoughts.
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #18
PaddlePAT

Bought my 19RBS almost a month ago and am astounded at the poor quality of what should be an easy job. Looking down at the roof of my camper from the roof of my deck, I was amazed to see screws laying in the caulk!

Does anyone working for GS give a crap about workmanship? I can't help but wonder.
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #19
MarkW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddlePAT View Post
Bought my 19RBS almost a month ago and am astounded at the poor quality of what should be an easy job.
We've had our new 17RWD for a month and a half, and the quality is about what I expected. I had to adjust both the outside and bathroom doors (the outside door was sticking while the bathroom door didn't latch unless you really pushed hard). One of the drawers also had a catch that was comically misaligned. But that's about what I expected to be honest. Otherwise everything seems ship-shape so far. We initially were considering a Lance 1575 which would probably have been built with more attention to detail. But it would also have been about twice as much. And I've seen Lance owners complaining about sagging torsion axles and slide-out leaks. And no matter how much you pay, the appliances come from the same vendors and that seems to be where a lot of complaints come from.
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #20

We are new to this whole scene and ordered a travel trailer back in September, not a GS. It came back so poorly built we didn't accept it and did some design changes that we didn't like. Anyway we ended up buying a 19erd have only had it out so far it seems pretty good except the back window leaks but luckily my husband is pretty handy and feels like he can work on that. Her next camping trip is in a few weeks hopefully we don't find any other problems.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote