Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Olduffer

Default Onan 6.5 nhe-1r/26100c

Hi All,
Would appreciate any suggestions for the above genset. I just bought this gulfstream 34ft sunstream hi-rise. It's an old gal(198 but in really good shape, with the exception of the generator. I don't think the previous owner ever ran it(hour meter shows 316 hours) Anyway, when I first got it, the gen would barely run, had to keep pressing the start switch. I ran seafoam through it, and changed the oil. That seemed to do the trick as far as the engine itself, it will now purr like a kitten. However it doesn't like any load applied to it. It will run a lightbulb ok, but as soon as I kick on one of the ac's it kills the gen quickly. I know it's not the old ac's because it just had 2 new low profile penquin ac's put it. Any ideas?
Also, there is a switch under the back bed marked shore-----gen. I am assuming I must throw that switch to the gen side whenever I run the onan. How hard would it be to hook up an automatic transfer switch to replace that old manual one. Raising the bed up to switch it is a real pain!
Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
Olduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Frosty

Default Re: Onan 6.5 nhe-1r/26100c

The switch under the bed sounds legit. That's the kind of things older RV's had installed. As for upgrading to an automatic switch, you need to find a quality RV parts and repair shop. They should be able to help you. Good luck.