Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Super_Coo

Default WFCO 3-Stage Question

Hi guys,

We're new to the rv world having just bought our used 2006 Innsbruck i30tbr late last fall.

My question relates to battery charging while on shore power and the fact that I have no clue.

Its a brand new Kirkland deep cycle purchased from Costco and installed yesterday. Yesterday according to the levels test light was 100% all day yesterday. The furnace ran a handful of times overnight as its still quite cold here overnight. All day today since this morning the checker has been at 75% with nothing running on the 12v all day.

Is that normal?

The inverter has been making its usual hum/buzz noise all day. If it is normal what's the usual charge times?

Thanks in advance
Super_Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Super_Coo

Default Re: WFCO 3-Stage Question

Also I'll add that the fridge is on auto so currently running on the shore 110vac and the water heater is on gas if that makes a difference.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Super_Coo

UPDATE-

Went back to the trailer last night for bed with a frost warning overnight (COLD) and battery still showing 75%.

Turned the furnace on and instantly went to 65% then 30 seconds later to R and the gas sensor red light turned on meaning low battery.

Decided to sleep at the inlaws cottage just in case since we have a 19 month old. Wife just went back to the trailer this morning and says its back to 75%.

I'm really confused
Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Timothy

Sounds like the charger is not working properly. Test the battery with a volt meter, first unplug the shore power and see what your battery voltage is, around 13 volts or better would be good, then plug in the shore power and check it again the voltage should be around 14 volts or better.
Also if you are plugged into shore power the furnace should run off the converter, if its not something is definatley wrong. If you are plugged into shore power your battery indicator will always show full unless the battery is NG and drawing the voltage way down.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Super_Coo

Hi I just re-read my first post and forgot to mention a very important factor. I hooked up the original battery backwards and blew the 40a fuses on the WFCO panel. Replaced the fuses with new and checked all the others all ok. The bought a new battery in case I damaged the original. Must have done more damage than I though.

Are you suggesting I replace the bottom component in the metal casing with the fan?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Timothy

It may need to be. If you remove the battery and plug into shore power see if your lights work. If not then it's either another fuse or the converter is toast. I think Progressive Dynamics makes a direct replacement for the WFCO. Make sure you isolate the battery cables before plugging in.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Super_Coo

Well looks like I'm just slow!

Went today with a digital meter and turns out the new fuses I put in had blown also.
These ones had lites on them so I assumed they lit up when they were working... I guess it's the opposite.

So I put 2 more new 40a regular fuses in and everything seems to function fine.
I turned on everything 12v I could think of and it all ran good and the battery meter showed 99% and stayed there so the
converter is back. Not sure if I've ruined my battery from hooking it up backwards I'll have to unplug from shore power
and see how it holds up as a test is the only way I can think of testing it.

Thanks a lot for the tips and suggestions... I learned alot about trailers these past few days.
I like it better when everything just works... haha
Old 05-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Timothy

Cool, glad everything worked out. Give your battery a few hours of charge time then unhook the shore power. If everything works you should be good to go. You could also remove your battery and charge it up so you know it's at 100% then put it back in and see how it goes. Best of luck.....Tim