Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
techwiz03

Default Removing a TV from a GS sunstream 2000

I have just acquired a 1994 Gulfstream sun streamer 2000 34ft motorhome it has a non functioning 15in RCA CRT type TV. The TV comes on but won't respond to antenna signal. Previous owner has had many parts of dash apart so I am thinking he messed with tv too. All connections in cupboard for Antenna to booster to splitter (front and rear tv) and destination switch inside vs exterior tv were either hanging with broken ends or miss-wired. Front shroud around tv is broken at all four button type holddowns. I have tried removing the screws at the four button points and the map lights below the tv enclosure as a means of trying to remove the tv but this did nothing to free up the tv. On both my bounder and my Coachmen MH there were these same button things below the tv that once removed allowed the tv to come out. The Gulf Stream doesn't have such so my long winded request is how does the TV come out? Local RV shop says I need to dismantle entire headliner, and most of dash. They will remove Tv for $400 and install new flat screen for another $400 which is ridiculous.
techwiz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
racebitz

I had a similar issue and just went crazy.
Removed the old tv
Got myself a flexible mount that had a detachable end (the part which bolts onto the TV).
Got a 43" flatscreen which lives under the bed.
When driving, a bungy keeps the tv mount out of the way, when we want to watch I slide the tv on, plug it in and off we go. We just watch DVD's.
Total cost about $400 including the TV
racebitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
bbybee

Glad you posted as I am about to do this same project ... looking forward to any insight!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Texas Shriner

following this thread
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
racebitz

Ok. So I removed the 'frame' that surrounded the TV and it pretty much popped out. However, from the wiring 'mods' behind I could see it wasn't the first time.

I purchased a wall mount online, and bolted it to the lower edge, where the old TV sat. You can see from the images the hole where the old TV was, and also the mount I used.

The bungy cord is important here.

When driving, I store the TV under the double bed. Once we are set up, I slide the TV on its mount, and connect the power cable. Then I move the bungy cord up the adjustable mount and If I get it just right, the TV snaps into the position you see in the third pic.

I left the TV in place once when driving, not recommended. We use a DVD player and grab cheap CDs in Walmart but more recently have used the Roku component on the TV.
In the pics the TV is a 43" model, really overkill. I was attending a trade show with my RV and we had no way to ship the display TV back to base, so of course I volunteered...

okkkkk...now I see I cannot insert an image
racebitz is offline   Reply With Quote