Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
jazmateta

Default Lube Axles for 2015 Streamlite Toy Hauler

Hi All,
Need some help with lubing the axles for our 2015 Streamlite Toy Hauler 21Toy. It's been sitting on a RV site basically since we purchased it (wheels covered), now it is moving 400 miles to a new location. Already moved approximately 100 miles from the RV site for getting ready for the final move.

There is nothing in the manuals that we can find for lubing the axles. Can someone help with this? I've seen where 2013 units may or may not have maintenance free. We tried to get the 'silver' cover off of the hub area and no go. We want to be sure that they are well lubed before making the bigger trip.

Thanks,
Jazmateta
jazmateta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Colorado350

Those covers are simply pressed on aka rubber mallet hammered on. Assuming you have EZ LUBE AXLES... Remove cover, You will need to lift the wheel up and spin the wheel while SLOWLY pressing 1-2 squirts of grease in it.

I would buy an infrared thermometer, remove the covers and leave them off. Pull the toy hauler 10-20 miles, pull over somewhere safe and use the thermometer to take the bearings temps. I typically see temps in the 90’s. If the bearings are significantly greased you don’t want to push more grease in them and risk pushing out the rear seals and contaminating the brakes. If you see a bearing with a high temp it probably just needs grease...worst case it needs new bearings.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
jazmateta

Hi Colorado,
Thanks for the reply.

However, we did find out that the outer silver portion of our wheels is pressed in from the back of the rim. Therefore the entire wheel has to come off. Then we can get to the regular rubber dust cap to remove and then squirt the grease in for the bearings. These are needing a bit of grease we see as they haven't moved in several years and the grease seems a bit low (as in not seeing much at all inside the silver cap on the axle.

I got to talk to a service tech at Gulfstream who asked me to send pics and he was able to give us more information.

Have gotten one wheel done, now on to the other 3. Had to get a better jack too.

Another trick that I had learned along time ago if you didn't have an infrared thermometer was to see if you could put your and on the rim/center of the wheel, if so, then it wasn't overheated. After traveling about 30 miles with the RV on the first leg of the trip, we did this and I was able to leave my hand on the rims/center hub for about a min or so before moving on to the next. Do need to see about another thermometer though as I don't know where the one that I got 10 or so years ago is.

Thanks,
Jazmateta
jazmateta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, lube, wheels