Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
shark3136

Default RV TV Solution Needed.

Anybody have suggestions for sensible affordable TV reception?
I'm new at this and when I stay at a campground without cable...well...it sucks.
What is everyone using?
Anything that doesn't cost a fortune?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
hpytravlr

Mark,

When we first started out with our motor home we raised the TV antenna but forgot to push the magic red button. The reception was terrible until someone asked if we had pushed the red button. That cleared it up. Later when we stayed at a campground with cable we had to remember not to push that button. Hope this helps.

Penny
BT Cruiser 2590
hpytravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
Roy Buzzard

you could go with satellite TV
Old 07-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

We have DirecTV in our home, so we just move the one receiver into the MH when we use it/travel.
We decided a couple of years ago that we liked DirecTV over the cable we had in our home so this was a sensible solution to have great TV reception in the coach plus at home at a cost effective matter.
The only thing is when we get outside of our local channel area, we don't have them. The solution is one can have the Network feeds , $6.00 @ month, or if you are going to be in an area like we do in the winter in Kissimmee, FL one can have DirecTV switch us to the local network feeds for that area.

After the initial dish install, it was the most reasonable solution for us.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
RJ82much

Summer guests (from Florida) at our house (in Western MA) were told by DirectTV that they could be switched only once. Be sure to ask the question to assure you will be able to go back to your local channels when you return home.

Our guests also reported they got different answers everytime they called DirectTV.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

DirecTV will switch you back and forth when you tell them that you are in your winter home location and back to your home(summer) location with no problem.

My buddy has done this for 6 years now.

Anytime you get answer from DirecTV that sounds screwy, just ask to speak to the supervisor. Usually you will get the correct answer and it always helps to say, "If you don't want to do it, I am sure Dish will to get my business." to help convince them.
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

:P Ron, we do the same with our DirectV. the bedroom receiver goes

to the Coach. If cable is included , Great if not, we got the antennas.

My Winneguard receiver has buttons for 2 tvs and CD/VCR Aux.

If nothing works, we have a stock of movies.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
earljan34

LURGEH. Whats with that remark? Not much input for 1st post!

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
msubobcats

Just bought 2009 Amerilite yesterday. Our first trailer, as we have been tent campers for 30 years.
Anyway...The Television...Do RV'ers take a seperate satellite dish in the camper? How do you position it/set it up and find the satellite for reception? Do you raise the antenna and with anaolg signals so spotty now, does the antenna even work?

Thanks Much.

Go Cats
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Roy Buzzard

I have directv at home, I bought a dish with tripod and take one of my receivers from the house. Alignment of dish is pretty easy.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
03heritagerider

We have DirecTV at home, so we just take the receivers with us and we get all the non-broadcast stations (CNN-A&E-Discovery-USA-etc). They gave us a second dish to carry with us for free. All we had to buy was a tripod, some cable and a special splitter ($15 at a flea market).

Our winter trips tend to be in motion and we rarely go to the same place two years in a row, which eliminates the winter home/summer home option. So, when we travel to places where there is little or no local TV service, we sign up for their Distant Network Service or DNS.

With DNS you receive the network channels(ABC-CBS-NBC-FOX) from New York and Los Angeles. Granted it doesn't provide you with local weather and news, but you can view all of your regular network shows and sports.

DNS is about $12.00 per month in addition to the regular monthly service charges, depending on the level you choose. I think they have plans that start as low as $30.00 per month. For some reason there is an additional charge for PBS and the CW and an additional $10.00 for HD service. The DNS service can be turned on and off with about a week's advance notice, and there are some forms that need to be filled out.

The key for us is that we have DirecTV at home. If you have a wired TV service like cable or FiOS you would be paying for both services.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
coolchas11

Have you put in a converter box for local reception? We did (with the help of Joe at Longview in CT) and we pick-up a lot of local stations.