Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
BikerBilly

Default Somebody unhooked all the a/v wiring

Help!! Some previous owner has unhooked all the rca plugs and coax cables in the entertainment center except a few on the sony, but still nothing works. On both T.V.s, in the cabinet adjacent to the TV is a set of rca plug cables and a coax and a splitter just laying there. Does anyone know how the factory had it wired?

2006 fred Crescendo
300 hp Cummins
Freightliner chassis
1st R.V.
BikerBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
RJ82much

YES and NO...... Not even the factory can answer your question anymore, as nothing is labeled (right?) and nothing is color coded.

I don't know why you can see a splitter. GS hides the splitter for antenna-to-both TV's in a wall someplace. (an unidentified location). A 3rd TV signal line is run to a basement compartment for an unmarked outdoor jack. Next to the auxiliary outlet, is another unmarked F connector to bring cable TV into your MH. The antenna amplifier must be turned off (red light out) in order to watch campground cable TV.

If there is more than 1 coax at a TV, the previous owner may have used (& took it with him) a converter box.

RCA plugs: You should have a 3x3 black box velcroed to the top of your tuner/DVD/VHS player. The box takes 3 RCA video/audio sources in (VCR, DVD, or SAT) & switches them to 3 different outputs (TV1, TV2, & TV3). As usual, nothing is identified. So, you have this tangled mess of 6 groups of 3 RCA's. Use this by setting TV1 to DVD and turning your front TV to "input 1"

Each TV should have a pair of RCA's & a triple set of RCA's. The pair are audio outputs from each TV to a hidden, unmarked "Riverpark" switch box under the dashboard. That allows the audio signal to be directed to your surround sound. The 3-connector set at each TV is of course for the VCR/DVD/SAT input as directed from the 3x3 switch.

I may have some of the details mixed up, so please, anyone more familiar jump in with a correction.

Got a headache yet? I still cannot believe or fathom the carelessness & disregard for us owners in hodge-podging this mess together. but it is what it is. The owner of GS considers the wiring propriatary!

BikerBilly, your previous owner did you no favors.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
BikerBilly

Default Thanks

Thanks Bob,
This is the first I've heard of the box under the dash, I guess I will wait until I can up-grade to digital t.v.s to figure it all out. The sony appears to work, it just isn't hooked to anything. Thanks again, this is my first RV, a 2006 front diesel crescendo, I am starting to wonder if I made a good choice.

2006 fred Crescendo
300 hp Cummins
Freightliner chassis
1st R.V.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
RJ82much

BikerBilly,

All in all, you made a great choice in motor home. By "Sony", is that the TV or the entertainment center?

Remember my rant about the splitter? All of the TVs are connected behind the walls to the powered antenna (red light on the wall panel device in the entertainment compartment). I'm thinking the previous owner was trying something by adding the splitter that you see. If your TV's are the original equipment, then you will see very few channels off the powered antenna. However, even 1 snowy channel proves the coax wiring is connected (somehow).

Plugging a cable-company signal into the correct F connector in the basement & turning off the "red light" on the wall plate should result in an abundance of channels, w/o any converter box. Onscreen menu: Setup the TV's for cable input & scan for channels. Your original equipment TV's will work (so long as you've chosen the correct of the F connector in the basement compartment & turned off the red light)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Chuck v

Here is a "generic" diagram for a coach such as yours -- perhaps it will help.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
RJ82much

Good job Chuck. A picture is worth a thousand words, and I was up to about 958!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
BikerBilly

Default Thanks

Well guys, you have reassured me that it isn't as bad as I thought and my new R.V. will be alright. I think we are just going to save up our money and replace the t.v's with digital led ones and get the in-motion sat. and let someone else do the sat. installation. Thanks for all your input. I found a visio at squall-mart with the speakers in the front but the controls on the side.....trade-offs will have to be made.....

Thanks again.

2006 fred Crescendo
300 hp Cummins
Freightliner chassis
1st R.V.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Chuck v

BikerBilly.

I have recently installed a Vizio in the bedroom of my TourMaster, and because it si such a thin television I just mounted it "floating" in front of the original cabinetry. You can operate the edge mounted buttons if you need to, but if you have the remote control in hand, all the functions can be controlled via that of course...

Chuck

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
RayChez1

It surprised me that his wiring for the televisions were not tagged as to where they were suppose to go. Mine were all tagged out of the factory. But even then when you pull out your receiver and selector box plus the dvr it can get hairy. I took the DVR off the front on mine and put it on the rear. Wife likes to watch movies from a DVR. I am satisfied with the King Dome satellite service.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
Chuck v

RayChez,

I added a second DVD player in the bedroom to allow a high quality HDMI connection to the new Vizio shown above. I chose a small one that would fit in the side cabinet next to the TV... Now there is a player for the front AND the back.

Chuck

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
RayChez1

You done a great job Chuck on getting that flat screen tv boxed in. I replaced the one in the bedroom with a flat screen, but mine is still mounted on rails where I can slide it in and out of the box where the other tv was.

I still have the big box in the front of my coach and would swap it out in a minute IF I could find a way of getting rid of the steel box frame from the tv that is in there now. But I would like it to look professional. I am not just going to throw something out there.
I have seen some tv's that you just put up and lock them on the ceiling, which is really nice. I don't know of anybody that does that kind of conversion. The problem with the box of the older tv's is that they are square, while the new televisions are rectangular and you just can't make a good fit without modified steel box.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote