Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default engine battery

I read some having trouble keeping engine battery up when not on the road. I had a automatic battery tender I used on my lawn tractor. It comes with a cig. lighter plug. So I use it when I am not on the road it keeps engine battery fresh until I need it.
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
RJ82much

Bob,

Are you concerned that you might overcharge your battery? ie: boil off the water? What do you do with your car if you don't use it for a while?

I'm not saying you are wrong,,, or right. Just wondering. I turn off the coach & chassis disconnects. Power up maybe once per month during winter, start engine, & run generator maybe an hour, then shut down again & open disconnects.

The battery tender sounds like an inexpensive device that trickle charges forever. Yes? No?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
bob3nliz

Default battery

RJ82much--- This unit will not over charge its automatic. No need to start engine to charge engine battery,but it is a good idea to run generator for its health. As for trickle charges forever-No its automatic many people use them on their motorcycles when they put them away for the winter. My generator don't charge my engine battery. Hope this helps. Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
RJ82much

Bob, what is the manufacturer/model number of the battery tender? I'm asking because in the winter, I have a lawn tractor & also a motorcycle sitting idle, and during the summer, my beloved snowmobile sits idle. Those long stretches are really rough on batteries, especially the long, cold winter without use. Perhaps this is something I should include in my toolkit. Those little batteries are very expensive.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
bob3nliz

Default battery tender

RJ82much---Deltran super smart battery tender model #021-0123. Most motorcycle shops have them . I even thing I saw them at WalMart. Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
holmesaw

Another question about the battery tender.
Does this device keep you from overcharging the battery when plugged into shore power as most of us are for months during the winter?
I suspect that it is only to be used when the coach is unplugged.
Is that correct?
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
bob3nliz

Default battery tender

You are correct-I only use tender when battery is unplugged---Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
darbyjudy

Default Battery Tender

When I was riding motor cycle it seemed as if I was forever buy new battery for the cycle. I read about the battery tender and bought one. when ever the cycle was idle I would plug in the battery tender. I stopped having battery replacements, they were lasting as much as 5 years. Always befor at least one a year. So I am sure it would work great with your engine battery also.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
earljan34

Hey guys, I have a battery tender on the coach battery and its plugged in 24/7, I also have the charge wizard on the house battery's have never had a problem with a dead battery or over charging, I just came back from New Hampshire with temps in the low teens still no problem with the battery's and they are the original ones that came with the coach.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
darbyjudy

Default Had to replace coach batterys

Earl I had to replace my coach batterys about a month ago, and it is a 2004 Sunvoyager. I am sure if I would have had the charge wizard they would have lasted longer. I just put the charge wizard on the coach after I found the coach batterys very low on water. Without the wizard and being plugged in all the time it was just charging too much and boiling off the water. I now have new batterys and a charge wizard, going to be interesting too see how much water the batterys use now. The workhorse battery is still orginal and it is a Delco without caps. I was going to replace it but I seen where it had a 7 year warrenty on it so though it should last a little longer.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
earljan34

Darby, I have not added any water to the battery's in over a year and that was only to top them off, When I first bought the coach the battery's needed water almost every month not a lot but a pint or so. I think the batt. tender and charge wizard are two of the best things I have bought.
Good luck with yours I know you will see a difference.

Earl

Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
bob3nliz

Default Batterys

Looks like we all are doing pretty good with our batterys. Thanks to all for all the inputs. Bob-Liz
Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
LaOrange

Default Battery Butler

Hi All
The Charger I use and like very much is the Battery Butler
Made by Lectric Limited { 708-563-0400 } www.batterybutler.com
They use a different approach they feel a very low charge is better
as it will never overheat the battery. It uses .5 amps at full charge and turns on an off as needed. I use these on several different batteries
Thanks Michael
Old 12-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
earljan34

Michael, Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Hope to hear more about your camping trips and adventures!!
The charger you are talking about is about the same as the batt. minder same principle they work great!

Earl

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
11B

Harbor Fright and Tools has a battery tender on sale for 7.99. I don't know if they're any good but I'll try one for 8 bucks. You can see them online @ harbortools.com

Merry Christmas to all you folks and thanks for the information you make available on this site.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #16
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

We use a tender on our pickup that is stored during the winter. While we are on the road. Saves the battery and we don't have to reset the clock.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
rdlamb

Default Batteries

My engine batteries are located in the compartment just ahead of the electric cord (on an electric reel). There is an electrical outlet in the reel compartment, used to plug in the engine heater.
I drilled a 1" hole through the compartments, and ran a Battery-Minder line through to the engine batteries. The connection is permanent. I plugged the Battery-Minder (velcro holds it in place) into the electrical outlet.
Now, whenever I'm plugged into shore power, the Battery-Minder is charging, desulfanating, and keeping my engine batteries fresh.

I also change all batteries (except the two engine) to Optimas. Yes, the 4 six volt on the inverter are now 4 twelve volt blue top Optimas. The coach batteries are yellow top.

I also put a charge wizard on my converter.

My previous days of having to clean acid off my coach batteries weekly are now over. The battery compartment required a complete cleaning and repainting, but overall it is worth it.
Safe Travels.
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #18
djqualls

If you connect your engine batteries to the convertor/charger, will the charge wizard monitor both sets of batteries at the same time?

I have an extra 80 amp convertor/charger that I want to use at the house. can I hook batteries up to both outlet lugs on the convertor/charger or is one set just for converting?

how does charge wizard handle that?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
rdlamb

Hi djqualls:
I'd recommend against hooking up the engine batteries to the converter, therefore the charge wizard, at the same time as the coach batteries. Choose one or the other and you should be fine.

The coach batteries are a combination of starting/deep cycle. They are made for running the coach, then being charged over time. The dynamics of this are different than charging starting batteries.

The charge wizard will handle the load just fine, in either case. Just choose batteries of the same type/make for the wizard to handle.
Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote