Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
David Bott

Default Front area of coach COLD.

Hi All...

Well we are on our journey but not out of the cold just yet. We got up the other morning to 1/4" ice on our car and coach here in Gaffney, SC!!!

In any case, one of the things that drive us nuts is how cold the front end of out Tour Master is. I mean, from just behind the chairs forward. So I guess the question is not so much is yours like that, as it would have to be, but have you done anything about it you would care to share?

I think most of the issue is that the windshield and door are single pane glass and thus offers little help. I can understand the windshield, but the glass in the door could have been double pane. But also the front dash area seems to be very cold to the touch and just radiates cold.

So, any thoughts?
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
GO BLUE

David......never experienced that........ suggest you move down her....84 today was 82 yesterday wife would like some cool weather I say fly home....Jim k
Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
testerdennis

Hi David, have you thought of putting a curtain up just behind the seats to keep the heat up front.

Dennis
testerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
David Bott

Did not really want to do that as we like to see out. (Unless you are just talking about when driving.)

It is cold just parked here. Thus the issue. It comes though the front of the dash mostly and the front area of the floor is just cold, cold.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
ellerich

Default cold front end

We use our RV as a ski chalet and have been in 10 degree wx. Yes the front end gets cold, but I close the sliding floor, and put a pillow up against the door. I also use a small ceramic heater to help supplement the front end heat. Elle and Richard
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

I found that if I don't shut off the heat control for the front heater under the dash that cold air will come in thru the vents when parked. I always shut off the vent/heat/AC control to the "OFF" position.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
RayChez1

I don't have a TourMaster, but I have never had any problems heating up my coach in cold weather. When parked we just close the lined drapes in the front and I just use one heat pump to heat the coach. Now if you are refering to heating while driving? I normally use the chassis heater, but if it is super cold, then I set the thermostat at 75 for the furnace. It will keep the whole coach warm at that temperature. I have double pane windows all around and the coach underneath is insulated with spray foam two inches thick.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
David Bott

Ron...

Very interesting. I will need to be sure I do that just in case.

Ray...

This is when I am parked I "feel" this coldness in the front area of the coach. We have all the same "under protection" but this cold just gets in though the front.

To make the coach warmer we did something simple. Seeing that the floor is mostly tile, we had a piece a carpet cut and bound with a felt backing that we lay in place when we arrive somewhere. It goes from the kitchen area on forward. This helps a lot and also makes for a more comfy feeling.

Thank all. Next stop...Just above Dallas Texas!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
testerdennis

Sorry David, I thought you meant while driving..
testerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
David Bott

Augh...Made it to Boligee, Alabama and woke up this morning to 36 degrees outside!!! Again Augh! We came south to get out of the cold.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Keep heading south, your are not far enough.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
RJ82much

David,

A trick that I use to distribute the heat a little better is to turn on the overhead AC fans (without AC of course). My thermostats have a manual position.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
David Bott

Thanks Bob...The issue with that is the noise it makes. But I can see how that would work to move the heat around and even take it from the ceiling.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
RJ82much

Yes, for sure noise is an issue. I use the bedroom fan when we are in the front (dinner & TV) & switch to front fan when we turn in. The noise from the propane heater is an eardrum-breaker. We stow a couple electric radiators with us. They really work well in the small confines of the motor home. Plenty of power at a campground. I run my generator all night if we are stopped without services & may as well use the radiators then as well.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
holmesaw

We never turn in with the generator running without the exaust stack on because the gen exaust is right below the bedroom slideout. Poor design in my opinion. But better safe then waking up dead
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
David Bott

Bob...

I tried your fan only trick last night, and I must say...Great idea! I put the oil filled heater in front of the oven which is right below A/C unit 2. Seeing that the oil filled heater just more or less produce heat that goes right up as their is no fan, the A/C fan took it in and moved it down the duct channels and this round the coach.

The white noise made by the fan was not an issue for sleeping seeing we use a white noise machine anyway to kill road noise.

This morning the first thing I did was to walk to the front of the coach, it was slightly cooler and NOT all like it had been.

The bummer for me is I do not have heat pumps in these A/Cs or the heating "tape" I have read about. Not sure if that is the same thing or not. Also not sure if it could be added.

So...thanks for the idea!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Chuck v

David and Bob,

We are having an unusual cold snap here in the Portland OR area, and I woke up to 21 degrees this AM. My coach is parked outside here at my house and not yet inside out of the weather (want to build a storage building, but need to work out the location/grading/slab work and of course money issues first.)

Like others, I also use an oil filled heater in the coach to keep it warm when parked. I converted an unused welder outlet in the shop to a 50 amp RV service, so no worries about which circuits are active on shore power. In additiion to the heater (located in front of the range door just like David...) I have a small ac fan on the desk that is set on low speed -- very quiet and not much power used. I don't use the roof AC units to circulate air in the unoccupied unit.

I also have two ceramic heaters in the storage area set to low (750 watts each) which are powered from the 20 amp outlet for the basement freezer. I did have to run a power cord through to that compartment, but by taking out the round vent grills and then notching the plywood out past their flanges, it was a simple matter to snake a heavy duty extension cord from the freezer bay into the main storage. Since the ceramic heaters each have a fan, the air is well circulated, and I have a remote temp sensor in there that registers at the dining area where the 'base' unit reads the temperature and humidity of the coach itself. Even at 21 degrees outside this morning and being that cold or colder overnight, the basement was at about 56 degrees. So far I feel safe without having done any draining of the water system, but appreciate hearing the greater knowledge of the forum on that issue... This is my first coach and my first winter with it

My smaller travel trailer was alway safely inside the shop, but at 20 ft long and under 10 ft tall it is not as much a challenge to house as the Tour Master...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
03heritagerider

Default Try this

We too use a ceramic heater to break the chill in the front. But what we do to keep the heat off the ceiling is to use one of those small 6" clip-on fans. We clip it onto the top of the slide trim or the cabinet above the driver or passenger seat. We point the fan toward the ceiling to prevent any "wind-chill" effect by having a fan blowing directly on us. It serves to circulate the warm air off the ceiling and around the room. And these fans are infinitely quieter than the A/C fans.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #19
David Bott

Just as a followup on the cold...Well...we are in Aubrey TX and work up this morning to 24 degrees!!! The outside waterlines froze, guess I should have left a small amount of water running or something. Good thing we have water in out fresh tank.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default cold

I sealed all openings with foam under hood. There are quite a few of them. We use a spot light at night to see most of them, others we took a hand full of incense with fans in window sucking air out of RV to see any other ways air was getting in. Then when we are parked we cover the front end so air can not just blow in grill, just have to remember to remove it before driving off. Bob-Liz Merry Christmas
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote