Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Trouble starting rig!

A few weeks back, I had a leak in a transmission hose. Replaced it myself and went to start the rig but the batteries were dead. Put the charger on and the next day all was well. Started it right up...let it warm up to check hose for leak...no leak...shut her down.

Yesterday, I went out to run it and the batteries were dead again. Put the charger on and after about an hour it started, but after about 30 seconds, it shut down. Turned the key off then on and there was nothing. Waited about 15 minutes and turned the key and it started right up again, then 30 seconds later it shut down again. Turned the key off then on and there was nothing.

Let it sit overnight on the charger and this morning...same result. Started right up then 30 seconds later...dead.

Is this a battery issue or am I in trouble?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Trouble starting rig!

Did you check the batteries right at the battery posts to see if they were actually dea r very low when showed as being dead?

If they batteries have charge in them, then it could be a connection/ground problem. When my chassis batteries went bad the last time they just wouldn't start the engine, I used the battery boost
switch on the dash to cennect the house and chassis batteries and it started right up. It never shut down because of bad batteries.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
RayChez1

I believe there is something else wrong because once the engine starts, it really does not need the batteries to continue running. It will run off the alternator. So I am thinking more like you might have a plugged up fuel filter or you could have a lose wire somewhere in the ignition or even some where else. I think I would start by changing the fuel filter or filters. Not sure if you have one or two fuel filters.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
03heritagerider

Thanks guys. Ray, I was beginning to think the same thing. I'll change the filter this weekend and see what happens.

Mike
Old 12-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Frutza

When the engine dies are all your chassis functions dead also? you say it wont restart, but is it a power issue, it sounds like it wont crank again, yea you would be able to run off the alternator, but if it goes back to the batteries directly instead of the starter were the battery leads go it may not be enough to keep her running, I would clean the battery terminals and the batteries, look at the cables for corrosion and were they go to ground, it could also be a loose wire on the starter, Good luck
Old 12-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
03heritagerider

Frutza,

Thanks for the input. You are correct. Once it dies, the dash is blank and it won't start for a while. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

I was originally thinking I may need new batteries (they are about 5 years old). They had gone dead on me about a month ago and the charger has been on it since.

Ray suggested a possible fuel filter clog, so I ordered a new one yesterday and it will be in on Monday.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
03heritagerider

new post started: Subject...Rig won't run!