Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
roadwoman

Exclamation update back up system

2006 Gulf stream GTouring 5291 the old backup system is not very good. Has anyone changed theirs out to a newer model and was it easy to connect?
roadwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Colorado350

It’s not really hard, just time consuming and kinda PITA. Wired cameras are more dependable than wireless but are more work to hookup. Typically, you hook the camera (power to the reverse lights. When you put the vehicle in reverse power supply to the reverse tail lights, and the camera comes on. Typically,You will also have to find a power supply for the monitor. Another option, is to not use the reverse lights but add a switch in the cab that allows you to turn the camera on whenever you want. You have two options for this, switch is always hot meaning even when the vehicle is off you can turn the camera on or you find an ignition hot wire and when the key is in the run position powers provided to the switch, which in turn allows you to turn the camera on. Use quality connections, switches most camera kit come with everything you need except the switch.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
roadwoman

Thanks I believe I will take it to someone. Wiring is already installed with the old camera setup hoping they can use what already exists.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Colorado350

It should just be plug and play then, unhook yours, install new camera. Here’s a link to a excellent camera.

eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car Rear View Reversing Backup Camera Automotive with 149°Perfect View Angle 8 LED Lights Night Vision 9 Level Waterproof Universal Car Backing Camera License Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6..._L6CWDb99QP8PX
Old 11-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
CaryL

fyi I wired mine to the parking lights. I didn't have to install an extra switch, and I just tapped into wiring in the back for the parking lights.

This way if I am towing a vehicle or someone is tailing me I can just turn on the parking lights and monitor while driving down the road.
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
roadwoman

Voyager AOS562HD 5.6" Color Rear View RV Back Up Camera System Replaces AOS562
The above system is what I bought to replace existing unit.
My system is already wired and has existing camera and monitor. Not very good and it's black and white. I just bought this system and it measures exactly like the old one so I am hoping it's just plug and play. I won't find out until it comes in and I take old one off. Monitor and camera same size as old one. I just replaced my radio in cab and my technician said the radio was plug and play so I am hoping camera and monitor the plug and play.

Voyager AOS562HD 5.6" Color Rear View RV Back Up Camera System Replaces AOS562
Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
JohnnyAfrica

I have an 08 Supernova... went with a RVS system. I had to use an adaptor at the Camera retro fit the new Camera to a Voyager Cable. Order another adaptor for the monitor & spliced the cable. Best pull your existing sytem apart to see what you have for cable / connectors, call tech support & they should be able get you set up. I also added the side view cameras...not hard to do...just time consuming especially if you have the wrong adaptors