Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
John500
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Default Manual crank for stabilizers

Hi,


I'm trying to figure out how the manual crank for the stabilizers works. I see where to hook up the crank but it doesn't want to turn with any ease.


Do these typically require some sort of disengagement from the motor before manually cranking??


Model: S29RKFW


This is a 2007 and I'm thinking the motor is worn out. Any links on how to replace these motors would be helpful.



Thank you!
John500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Gingersdad
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John500 View Post
Hi,


I'm trying to figure out how the manual crank for the stabilizers works. I see where to hook up the crank but it doesn't want to turn with any ease.


Do these typically require some sort of disengagement from the motor before manually cranking??


Model: S29RKFW


This is a 2007 and I'm thinking the motor is worn out. Any links on how to replace these motors would be helpful.



Thank you!

I have manual stabilizers now, but on my other 5th wheel I didn't have a crank to fit the back of the motor. I went to Lowes and bought a pipe that would fit the Rod on the back of the motor and then used a hackSaw to cut slots for the pins to fit into so everything would turn. Was a slow long Process to get the right fit but it worked. Would have been so simple with a side grinder if you have one. I'm sure someone sells them too.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:49 AM   #3
John500
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Default

... The pipe with slots sounds like a great idea! I would probably attach a long pipe wrench for turning. The side grinder is a nice idea but outside the cost of one, how would you attach the grinder to the pipe?


Thank you sir!
John500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Gingersdad
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Default

Actually, I rigged it up to fit my drill somehow. I don't remember how I did it anymore though. I do remember I had to run The drill slowly because the motor has to turn also. The electric stabilizers were nice till I had to replace them. I'll keep my manual ones now. Only takes a minute to do both.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
John500
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Default

In terms of replacing them, did the stabilizers themselves get replaced or just the linkage that replaced the motor? I'd do the same thing if it was easy enough.


What's happening here is, the motor is just fine but the gears will no longer handle the weight at a peak level. Once the trailer almost reaches hitch level, the gear box starts slipping.


If you would, let me know how easy/expensive the manual crank system was installed.



After that I would have to crank all the slides too. I found the crank access for the living room slide but I haven't seen the access point for the bedroom slide....


Thank you!
John500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
Gingersdad
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John500 View Post
In terms of replacing them, did the stabilizers themselves get replaced or just the linkage that replaced the motor? I'd do the same thing if it was easy enough.


What's happening here is, the motor is just fine but the gears will no longer handle the weight at a peak level. Once the trailer almost reaches hitch level, the gear box starts slipping.


If you would, let me know how easy/expensive the manual crank system was installed.





After that I would have to crank all the slides too. I found the crank access for the living room slide but I haven't seen the access point for the bedroom slide....


Thank you!

Campingworld replaced the whole assembly. Had to be welded. My motor basically exploded. It was very costly. I'm thinking $600+. I never thought about putting manuals on at that time. Probably should have. I think I damaged the stabilizers myself. I elevated the nose without putting the back stabilizers up..... Duh.... Only did that once When I put the stabilizers down manually, I had to start off very slow because, as you said, you have to get the motor turning too. As far as cranking the slides, I have never had Success in doIng that. The RV I tried to manually move the slides had a fitting at the Motor nest to hydronic fluid. I didn't have any luck. Turned out to be the relay switches had popped. To be honest, I haven't even looked for the crank on the one I have now. Sorry I can't be of more help. Just experiment and check YouTube videos. They cover most everything now. You really can't break something that is already broken.
Gingersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:58 AM   #7
John500
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Default

>> I elevated the nose without putting the back stabilizers up


This is exactly how I damaged the front stabilizer gearbox. Once it reached the point of resistance due to the back stabilizers being down, the motor faithfully kept trying but the gear box ended up being the weak link.


This of course was done in the first couple uses when I had no order of operations going for myself.


Ok, thanks for all the input!!


John
John500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×