Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
jhan

Default Fuel Tank Hard to Fill from Passenger Side

Hi,
Another question.
I normally fill my tank up from the driver side. But my recent trip to Utah, I've tried twice filling from the passenger side. Both time the nozzle kept on clicking off. Has anyone experience this?

Thanks.

James
Old 12-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
gbarngrover

Default Fuel tank fill

It's either a kink in the hose from the fill to the tank or in the vent line.
Also make sure the vent line is routed up to the fill (no dips in it).
A while back there was a problem on some motorhomes with the hoses not being rated for gas (wrong ones installed) and they swelled inside.
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
jhan

Hi,
Everything looked okay from the fill to where it enters into a hole cut into the frame. The only difference I can see is the vent hose on the passenger side came below the fill hose on the last turn from the frame up to the fill neck. Is that what you mean by 'no dips'?
The hoses looks like hard metal tubing with bunch black stuff sprayed on it. Should I just try to push it above the fill hose?

I found this link while researching the problem.

The author said to check the vent tube on top of the fuel tank. I'm not sure how to gain access to the top of the fuel tank on the Tour Master to do that.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
rdlamb

Hi J Han.
Have a 07 TM, had the same problem. There are two problems.
First, the fill hose to your tank is fairly flat. I know it looks like it dips down, but the hose is more flat than it looks.

Second, the tank has a baffle in it. I think there is a Fed law that requires that.

So, my hearty, healthy, truck-driving brother in law had a pit over which he drives his semi's to do maintenance. I drove the TM over this and looked up onto the fuel tank.

There, I found ^^%$#@)(*&)*)&&&*(((()**)) feet of vent hose coiled up on itself, and zip-tied to a stud on the top of the fuel tank. A simple pocket knife followed by better hose placement and clamping the end of the hose to the nipple on the tank, resulted in much better fuel flow. Much, much better fuel flow.

There are ramps, or other ways to raise the front of the TM up. But, sadly, I would have to recommend that you find some way to view the top of your tank to see if you likewise have 20 feet to much of vent hose taped to the top of your tank.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
jhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb
There, I found ^^%$#@)(*&)*)&&&*(((()**)) feet of vent hose coiled up on itself, and zip-tied to a stud on the top of the fuel tank. A simple pocket knife followed by better hose placement and clamping the end of the hose to the nipple on the tank, resulted in much better fuel flow. Much, much better fuel flow.

There are ramps, or other ways to raise the front of the TM up. But, sadly, I would have to recommend that you find some way to view the top of your tank to see if you likewise have 20 feet to much of vent hose taped to the top of your tank.
Thanks for the info.
Just to clarify, where is the nipple on the tank located (front/back and driver side/passenger side)? Also, any particular way you routed the hose?
Oh, is the top of the tank easy to get to? Do I need a mirror or something to be able to see it? I'm thinking about building a ramp out of stacking up bunch 2x8 or 2x10.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
rdlamb

Jhan:
There is no easy way to get to the top of your fuel tank. It (at least on my coach T-40, is between the front wheels. If you have a safe way to raise the front of the coach, and stabilize it, and can get under the coach there is an area where you can peek at the top of the coach. The ventilation stem is on top of the tank, on mine it was toward the passenger side. The zip tie used to hold the mass of coiled hose had crimped the hose, restricting the air flow.
I do not see any way to get to the tank from the front. To top it all off, the generator is forward of the tank, so you cannot get to anything as the generator is blocking your access from the front.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote